Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

HTC One M8 SD Card

DC150
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hello,

I've just bought a micro SD card to use on my new HTC One M8 but when I put it in the device, nothing happens - all of the options stay greyed out.  It's as though it isn't in there.

I tried the card on my friend's windows phone and it works fine - when I put it in the computer it also recognises it fine.  I was told to format it and re-try and it still didn't work.

So I sent this card back and bought a different one and the same thing happened.

The first was a 32GB Kingston Technology one and the second was a 16GB Sandisk one and neither have worked.

Has anyone else experienced this?  Could it just be that the SD card slot doesn't work or is there something else I can try?

8 REPLIES 8

paul2550
4: Newbie

Have you formated the sd card try that first before looking any further

hrym
17: Community Champion

I can't think of anything else you can try.  There can sometimes be compatibility issues, but both Kingston and Sandisk should be fine - I think my current 16gb card is Kingston.  Anything up to 32gb should be OK, too.

I think you may have to go down the repair route, I'm afraid.

@hrym wrote:

Anything up to 32gb should be OK, too.

M8 supports 128GB so over 32GB should work as well

is the card NTFS or FAT? 

Video provides a powerful way to help you prove your point. When you click Online Video, you can paste in the embed code for the video you want to add. You can also type a keyword to search online for the video that best fits your document.

Thanks for all the replies - I'm not sure what NTFS or FAT means to be honest

I took it into store and they couldn't work it out either so it's been sent away for repair

Although the industry-standard FAT32 file system supports volumes up to 2 TiB, exFAT has been adopted by the SD Card Association as the default file system for SDXC cards larger than 32 GiB because it supports large volumes, large files, and better contiguous on-disk layout.

hrym

If there are card problems, the advice is usually to format it oustide the device.  I'm not sure what the OP did in this case, but nothing seems to have worked and it sounds suspiciously like a faulty card slot.  I'd normally expect a card, especially a known brand, to work out of the box.  I think phone mostly use FAT32, but I'm not totally sure.

thesoupdragon

Just some added information from my experience...

• Always buy Memory cards from reputable retailers. (Take care with Auction sites)
  • If the packaging can be opened without tearing, it could mean cheaper cards have been put into branded packaging.
  • Rub your finger over the printed face of the card. The Ink should NOT transfer to your finger!

Quality cards will come in decent packaging that is very difficult to open. The Ink on the printed face will be permanent and very hard wearing.

If it's really cheap and sounds too good to be true... it probably is! 

Wink.gif

hrym

Good point, @thesoupdragon .  I was assuming that the cards were genuine, but I've seen fake ones.   For that reasoon, I always buy mine on Amazon and from Amazon.