Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

HTC One Mini Cracks in Housing

lynton2807
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

My HTC One Mini has developed some hairline cracks in the white plastic of the housing which I hadn't noticed as the handset is kept in a case. The cracks are on the bottom near the micro usb, on the side and along the white strip above the beats logo. I searched online to see if this was a common issue, and found the following thread.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2423339

However when I visited a store today I was dismissed saying I would be charged for a repair as he hadn't heard of the issue. I was hoping to email Vodafone regarding this, but as I can't find an email address and the Contact form does not allow attachments I thought I would try on here for a response.

P1000172.JPG

P1000172.JPG

P1000177.JPG

31 REPLIES 31

Sukhi
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi lynton2087

We can certainly have a look into this for you. Click to send us your details here.

Thanks

Sukhi

Hi,

We've recently removed a post from this thread for breaching our house rules. Whilst we encourage conversation within the community, there are certain rules everyone must follow. This ensures the forum remains suitable for everyone, as well as being free from excess clutter.

The person whose post has been removed has been contacted privately.

If you're unfamiliar with the house rules, please take a minute to view them here.

Thank you

Matt

Vodafon contract states that they will offer a new handset if you have had to have 3 repairs on your current one. My HTC one mini has been back twice already and still has a fault on the connecting of calls. If not fixed this time, the shop tells me i can chose another handset under the terms of my contract.

Hi davidgirling,

Welcome to the eForum.

If you can get in touch with us here, we'll look into this for you.

Thanks,

Sarah 

Hello

I have a white HTC Mini and it has also developed th ecracks, the one by the volume rocker is getting pretty bad.  I hav enot yet rang Vodafone - Tech Team, can you please advise best approach to ensure I get it repaired under warrenty? and I don't waste time trying to get escalated.

Thanks

Mark

hrym
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

@davidgirling wrote:
Vodafon contract states that they will offer a new handset if you have had to have 3 repairs on your current one.

Really?   Can you quote the relevant section?   I'm not doubting you, but it was always my understanding that Vodafone didn't have an "x repairs and you get a new device" clause.  I know Orange do, or used to.   I thought Vodafone looked at each case on its merits.

Retired-Matt_B
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi MarkBoakes,

If there's been physical damage to the handset it can affect the warranty.

We'd need to assess the phone at our repair centre first, if a charge is required, you'd be given the choice at this point.

To arrange a repair, follow the instructions here.

Thanks,

Matt B

Whilst not a solution to the cracks, the following sounds like a reasonable explanation for their occurence:

"...the problem is likely due to the fact that the plastic binds the aluminium, yet the aluminium is more flexible and acts as a better heat conductor than the plastic. As a result, when the aluminium gets too hot it expands and cracks the binding, which will still be relatively cool. My only tip would be to uncase it when it's on charge; especially if you have a silicone bumper case as those things will really insulate it."

My HTC One Mini has 6 cracks, 3 on each side. I have a genuine HTC One mini flip case with stand.

dmartinb
1: Seeker

I have exactly the same problem- even to the extent that my cracks are in exactly the same place!

Bought my HTC One Mini from Gadgetxchange on ebay on 13 April. ALways kept in case - never dropped. Am returning it to vendor who say they will forward to HTC repair centrew under guarantee.

It is obvious that this is a fault in the plastic beading. 

Regards

Dmartinb

jbrandman
1: Seeker

I have had exactly the same problem with my HTC One mini.  I have only had it a few months, kept it in a case at all times and never dropped it.  Multiple cracks have appeared and they appeared to be affecting the screen.  My friend who has the same phone also has the same problem.  I have to have this handset for around 2 years before I can upgrade and I fear it will not last that long.  

CLEARLY this is a design fault.  I contacted HTC and they stated that they were aware of the problem but they would not acknowledge that it was a design fault.  Vodafoneone has said that I can send it to their repair centre but I do not feel that they are taking the problem seriously.  I do not think that the black version has the same problem so I have requested a replacement for the black version however Vodafone says that this is not possible.

I would like Vodafone to contact HTC to discuss this problem and for someone to take responsibility.  It is obvious that there is a design fault with this phone.