Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

HTC One Mini Cracks in Housing

lynton2807
3: Seeker

My HTC One Mini has developed some hairline cracks in the white plastic of the housing which I hadn't noticed as the handset is kept in a case. The cracks are on the bottom near the micro usb, on the side and along the white strip above the beats logo. I searched online to see if this was a common issue, and found the following thread.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2423339

However when I visited a store today I was dismissed saying I would be charged for a repair as he hadn't heard of the issue. I was hoping to email Vodafone regarding this, but as I can't find an email address and the Contact form does not allow attachments I thought I would try on here for a response.

P1000172.JPG

P1000172.JPG

P1000177.JPG

31 REPLIES 31

michael79

I've had my HTC one mini for just over three months and have had it in a case all that time. Unfortunately having taken off the case I've now seen that I also have cracks in th outside plastic rim, next to the USB socket, headphone jack and colume buttons, as well as on the side.

I've never dropped the phone, and as I say it has had a case on since day one. Hacing done a quick search, it seems there are quite a few other owners with the same problem. 

If I take this into my local Vodafone store would I be able to replace it, or at least get it repaired? Apparently other providers have been replacing handsets, but it sounds like Voda are not yet recognising it as a fault...

It looks like some Vodafone stores are replacing, but some are denying it is an issue.

I've been told to send the phone away, however due to the hassle of trying to deal (online chat and no email addresses or contact form) with Vodafone, I'm sending it direct to HTC who were much easier to deal with. As regards taking it into a store, when I did this, not only was the member of staff of no use, but he was rude and suggested that I claim on my insurance (which would be insurance fraud since this isn't accidental damage)! I would hope that this isn't the norm for Vodafone staff, but just the one I spoke to in their New Street Birmingham store. 

OK, thanks for getting back so fast! I might try and pop in to Vodafone anyway just to see what their take is and if not i'll get in touch with HTC.

I'll let you know how I get on!

Hi Slumingr, just wondering if you had any joy sending your phone to HTC? I've got nowhere with Vodafone shops, who said they can send my phone for repair but it would invalidate the HTC warranty.

Did you send to HTC and were they happy to repair it for free?

hrym
17: Community Champion

I'm astonished that a Vodafone shop would say that their doing a repair would invalidate the warranty.  I'm pretty sure Vf are authorised agents for all the devices they sell, subject to there being certain circumstances when they can't work under warranty as a third party.  Unless there's a different agreement with HTC, this is how it would be.

There is going to be an issue with cracks to the case as these are considered as cosmetic damage and possibly caused by the user.  In that case, the repair agreement specifically excludes warranty work.  It's always best in those circumstances to go direct to the manufacturer as they have discretion and can a) fix another fault if it's clearly not caused by the other damage and b) fix external damage if it's clearly not caused by the user.

Cracks to the outer shell can be caused by flexing in a pocket or overheating (and maybe other things as well).  I seem to remember that this happened with a few Samsung phones and that they'd repair free.  It would always be a case-by-case thing, but certainly worth a try.

Although the shop was, I think, wrong to say the warranty would be invalidated, it would be true that Vodfone would be unlikely to be able to do a warranty job unless HTC had advised them that this was a known issue.  Save time and go direct to HTC and see what they say.

Phone Update!

So, after being told three different things from three Vodafone shops (including "it's not worth even sending it") and having hit a brick wall with HTC's friendly but powerless customer service guys, I complained to HTC via email and eventually got a call from a higher up customer service man. 

He told me the same as everyone else had, ie that the phone had to be checked by HTC, but when I asked if I might be charged to either fix or return the handset, he said I wouldn't because "sadly I've seen many phones like this"!

So he arranged to pick my phone up from my work, and a week later it was returned with a new, uncracked case.

As has been said, it's definitely best to go through HTC, the only difficulty is getting through to someone who has the authority to make decisions, rather than the people on the end of the phone/email/live chat/twitter! But it seems it is a known issue, internally at least, so just keep hassling!

hrym

That's a good example of why some repairs are best dealt with via the manufacturer.  It's shame you had to escalate the issue, but good that you got a positive result in the end.   Manufacturers always have more discretion than 3rd party repairers who are often restricted in what they can do under warranty.  Any kind of physical damage is usually excluded, whatever the cause.

As an update from the original post...

Vodafone did eventually accept the first handset back, and replaced with one of their refurbs. After a couple of months, this then started cracking and was returned. They have again replaced with a refurb which is still uncollected at the store, however I am attempting to switch handset (either the equivalent Samsung, or an iPhone and pay the difference or start a new 24mth tarriff) which has proved tougher than originally persuading them to send it to their "engineers"!

So far their suggestions have been to sell the HTC back to them for £110, and go on eBay to buy a new phone...or to keep returning the HTC as and when it inevitably cracks for the remainder of the contract.

So far I've been using the Samsung e2121b temporary handset for around 3 weeks not having access to apps or the 4G internet I'm paying for. So far I've been initially dismissed by Vodafone store staff, one suggested claiming on my insurance (as this isn't accidental damage, that could amount to insurance fraud), and had over an hour on the phone with people pretending to be decision makers before having to "get a manager to call me back in a few days".

This experience has made sure I probably won't be choosing an HTC in the future, now the question is whether I'll be sticking with Vodafone...awaiting a call back after the issue has been 'escalated' twice!

hrym

I don't think there's a hard and fast rule, but if you've had a recurrent problem with a specific handset, there have been cases of people being able to choose an alternative.  In this case, the cracks appear to be a manufacturing issue and it would, initially at least, be reasonable to assume they problem is confined to one handset (hence the straight replacement) if there's no evidence of it being more widespread.

This is one of those instances when going to the manufacturer can be the better approach.  If there is a wider, but limited, issue, they're more likely to be aware of it and may also know if a particular batch is affected.   They're also more likely to offer a brand new replacement.

The forume team will pick this up in due course and should be able to get it progressed for you.  It's a shame that you haven't had the callbacks you've been promised.  I'm sure the people who promised them intended for it to happen, but are then relying on others, who may perhaps also want to do it, but get subsumed with other work.  TBH, there should be a system that "books" a callback and makes sure it happens.

Well, I've had the issue with both the original and the one they replaced it with. Having searched the internet it looks to be a problem others are also having with both this and the HTC One handsets.

I've had the callbacks as promised, but I've been asked to explain the situation on each call, rather than them referring to the notes they say they have been making. Also, the people who have called back have said that they do not have the authority to offer an alternative handset, which is what I made clear that I was after from the first phonecall, hence being told on each occasion that someone else more senior will have to call me back (so why hasn't the 'more senior' person called me back in the first place?).

I'm not looking to benefit from this, merely get a handset which won't inevitably suffer from the same fault. HTC have changed the design on the new handsets, getting rid of the plastic strip on the edge, which may be a pure coincidence, but I doubt they would confirm if it was due to this issue being something that is relatively common. For what it's worth, the guy from Vodafone who called me today said that he has heard of this issue quite often, but once again didn't have the authority to offer an alternative so would need to get yet another person to call me back!

I have suggested either replacing with a Samsung S4 mini, which was available on the same tariff and I'd be happy to have one of their "refurbs" rather than a new boxed one. Or to write off this contract and start a new 24 month iPhone contract and move onto a more expensive tariff, with Vodafone keeping my HTC, therefore meaning that I would be "losing out" on the 6 months worth of payments I have made towards the HTC handset.