Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

HTC One S - Stuck in Airplane Mode when Turning on

GemmaT
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have a HTC One S and since the last software upgrade (Android 4.0.4, HTC Sense 4.1, Software Number 2.38.161.6) my phone constantly gets stuck in airplane mode whenever I turn it on. More specifically it is stuck 'turning off' airplane mode, i.e. this function is greyed out so I cannot try pressing the buttons to do it myself. I have to restart the phone for this to be fixed, which does work every time but is rather time consuming and annoying to do every day.

Am I the only one experiencing this issue? Are you aware of the bug? Do you have any solutions?

Thanks,

Gemma

33 REPLIES 33

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Bronsi,

Glad to see the initial problem has been fixed.

Have a look here for information on the Restricted Access Changed message.

Cheers,

LeeH

@Lee wrote:

Hi Bronsi,

Glad to see the initial problem has been fixed.

Have a look here for information on the Restricted Access Changed message.

Cheers,

LeeH

Lee,

At which point did I say my problem was fixed?

I may have found a "workaround", a way of bypassing the problem which lets me use the phone that the software update broke, but the problem is still there. Until a new software update comes along to fix the issue and return my phone to the way it worked before Monday's update, it is not fixed. Is it?

Bronsi.

Retired-James
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Bronsi,

I’m sorry if there has been some misunderstanding here however, when it comes to firmware there is very little that we can do and say other than offer a repair to make sure that it isn’t that the update failed to apply correctly.

James

@James wrote:

Hi Bronsi,

I’m sorry if there has been some misunderstanding here however, when it comes to firmware there is very little that we can do and say other than offer a repair to make sure that it isn’t that the update failed to apply correctly.

James

James,

Of course there has been a misunderstanding. Your colleague specifically mentioned that my problem was fixed when it is not. That is misleading.

If he had said something along the lines of "I'm glad you've found a way of working around the problem for now" then it would have been fine. He did not. An introduced software fault, either by Vodafone or HTC, with the update, stopped my phone from working as it should. Until a patch is released which specifically restores the functionality then it is not fixed. And as such a thing has not occurred then the problem is still there.

Sending the phone away "for repair" when it is almost certainly a software fault is a silly suggestion to make. Condescension like this towards customers has always triggered angry responses, when will Vodafone learn?

What I would like to hear is that you acknowledge I have a problem. That you are glad I've found a workaround for now and that it is being looked into.
That the problem has been flagged so that the functionality can be tested for and restored with any follow up updates in the future.

And not ignored and brushed under the carpet.

Any comment along those lines would have got a "at least you know about it and can hopefully fix it" type of reply from me.

Doing the written equivalent of patting me on the head and going "all better now?" will get you nothing but posts like this.

Bronsi.

@Bronsi wrote:

... Condescension like this towards customers has always triggered angry responses, when will Vodafone learn?

I have to agree, this kind of thing happens far too much. Careless answers that fail to address, misrepresent or misunderstand the question, give the impression of condescension and that VF support isn't interested and doesn't care.

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Bronsi,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. It's standard process to send individual devices to our repair centres as this isn't an apparent fault on all units. Granted, software issues are usually amended by doing a Factory reset although I believe you've said you're not willing to do that. When a device is sent to the repair centre, it is usually fully flashed to help remove any software issues anyway.

I'm sorry if Lee misinterpreted your post originally. This has been fed back accordingly. Naturally, we'd be happy to look into your reported problem, but without having your handset in for repair to investigate in the first place, there's very little else we can do from here. 

Cheers, Ben

Hi Ben,

This is a fault on more than one unit, as mine still has the fault causing me to keep it off of fast boot as a work around. I actually found that solution through a T Mobile forum and wanted to share the idea with for Vodafone customers who might also be suffering so it is affecting several units and should be fed back to HTC appropriately.

Have you discussed it with HTC? Are they doing anything about it like releasing a software patch?

I'm also struggling to see how a factory reset will fix a software issue. I'm no expert but surely the same software will be downloaded to the phone again after a factory reset, causing the problem all over again?

Gemma

Retired-James
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi GemmaT,

This has been raised to our devices team to flag with HTC however, we won’t have any details regarding a firmware update to fix this until it has been released.

Sometimes the software issue can be caused by it not being properly installed on the phone and by doing a factory reset it reinitiates the software to confirm that this isn’t the cause of the issue.

James

I am having an identical problem as been said above. If the phone is off for a prolonged amount of time, when I turn it on I notice that it is stuck in 'airplane mode' even though I never turned it on/used it. Once I reset my phone it connects to the Vodafone network. This all began after the latest software update on my phone.

I have contacted HTC regarding this issue and they said it is not a known issue and they aren't aware of it. Vodafone needs to push the issue and let them know it is effecting peoples' devices!

I was instructed to get a new SIM card from Vodafone if that was the problem. It wasn't. I was then instructed to do a factory reset by HTC and after doing so there is still no change. It has to do with the software update. They need to do something about this.

I have the same issue.

Upgraded from a desire 3 or 4 weeks ago and the problem developed about 2 weeks ago when the phone updated itself.

The problem was only diagnosed yesterday when I took the phone in to the Newbury store. Even though they identified that the phone seemed to be stuck in airplane mode after turning on in the morning they'd never heard of the problem before.

Currently I'm having to turn the phone on in the morning, wait until it's booted up, hold down the power button for 10 seconds to cause a soft reset and reboot and only then does the phone work. I guess I'm now stuck waiting for some kind up software update to correct the problem. This is better than the factory reset I was previously having to do but still a pain.

One thing I have learned though is to not use the phone support or the email support through the web site and just to go down to the store. The people manning the phone lines and answering the emails are a dead loss. In two weeks they've just been following the scripts with no attempt to diagnose the problem. I'm on my 3rd phone in that fortnight (the last one supposedly was fully tested and reinstalled before it was sent to me but it's suspiciously identical to the first 2) and 2nd sim. They even sent me an invoice for the second sim. I don't know how many conversations I've had where I've been told to remove the battery which you can't on an S. It's been a deeply frustrating experience with no resolution at the end of it.

And all this for £33 a month tied in for 2 years. Really unhappy with vodafone at the minute and wondering why I've paid more for the service because I trusted them and they've been unable to deliver. 

The guy in the shop helped me diagnose the problem, refunded the sim price and refunded 2 week line rental... really helpful but the same level of support should be available on the phone and online in this day and age especially considering that this is vodafone's core area of expertise.

Cheers,

Mark