Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

HTC One and BBC Media Player

polymnio
4: Newbie

Hi,

I'm loving my HTC One, but have just encountered a problem with viewing live BBC TV using the BBC Media Player app.

I can watch "catch up" programmes without any problem, but whenever I try to watch a live programme, I get sound but no picture. Plus, when I try to back out of the app, by pressing the "Home" button, I get a message reporting that the BBC Media Player is not responding, offering close/wait/cancel options.

According to the BBC iPlayer support page, there are certain handsets with known issues, but HTC One isn't one of them.

Any ideas?

Snowboarding/skiing, etc. just isn't the same in audio only 😞

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Good news about improved battery life. I'll look forward to that...

Especially, now that I'll be watching so much live telly. An update, delivered this morning, seems to have cured the misfiring BBC Media Player.

Glad to hear that 4.4 shakes-down OK with you. I wonder what these mysterious issues are – HTC aren't saying.

Fingers crossed for an early resolution to your Sky Sports woes.

View solution in original position

20 REPLIES 20

Hi hrym, I've went to the app settings and cleared the data after force stopping it. Tried it again and it worked. I suppose the time to tell if the problem has cleared is when the football is back on later, but it had happened the day before too when the football wasn't on. Keeping fingers crossed.

hrym
17: Community Champion

Great.  Now that you know it's capable of working, at least you'll know it's not an issue with the app or the hardware if it goes down again.

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Link,

Thanks for coming back with the update.

Feel free to post here when you've had a chance to check during the next match. We'll be limited as to what we can do if it's the app, but it could help other members of the community who are seeing similar. :Winking_smiley:

Cheers, Ben

Well its not working again at home. Tried on wifi and get a message saying "this content doesnt seem to be working. Please try again later". When I use mobile internet I get no picture but sound. Pulling what's left of my hair out :Sad_face:

Retired-Andy
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Link,

If you try force stopping the app and then restarting it, does it then work?

If so, you’d need to speak with the app developers about this.

Check to see if there’s a feedback option within the app itself.

If a force stop doesn’t change things, try a factory reset of the phone.

You can see how to do this here, and don’t forget to back up any important data first.

Thanks,

Andy

I had it working on BBC4 but when I switched to BBC1 the picture stopped working.

It also no longer worked when I switched back to BBC4.

It will probably work again if I clear the data etc but I didn't try that.

Its obviously a bug in the app but then what else do you expect from the BBC.

I've uninstalled it now. Gave up when it didn't work again, only seems to work when it feels like it even after clearing the data. To be fair Sky Go was the same when I tried to watch ITV on that the other day but that worked after I restarted my phone. Least the radio is less painful than watching England at the moment :Smiling:

For Live TV try TVCatchup from Play store.

jeffkinn

I use the BBC iPlayer on my M8 both live and downloaded programmes without an issue.

Problems like this are so irritating. Why does it work in some phones and not others?

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

hrym

@jeffkinn wrote:
Problems like this are so irritating. Why does it work in some phones and not others?

Conflict with something else???