Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

HTC One lack of 4G

benm61
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Morning,

I took the new settings update yesterday on my HTC1 and since then I have not receieved any 4G or 3G service on it.

Thishas happened before and I have tried the old tricks of turning on plane mode a few times and it hasn't fixed it.

I did recieve the 'looks like you;ve changed your settings text' and activiated it but still to no avail.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Ben

5 REPLIES 5

hrym
17: Community Champion

There have been a few reports of this happeniing across various devices with a recent update.  The solution seems to be a factory reset (don't forget to back up your content first).

New question then...and apologies if I am being idiotic. 

If I do indeed have to do a factory reset, I assume I need to back up my contacts somehow. I have downloaded HTC sync onto my laptop but cannot find a way to move the contacts over. 

Thanks for your help

TimGriff6
13: Advanced Member

The HTC One needs HTC Sync Manager rather than HTC Sync.  However, since a recent update to Sync Manager, it doesn't seem to sync properly with Outlook so you can't guarantee that all of the contacts will come over.  It is possible to use HTC back-up (which is on your phone) to back up contacts to our g-mail account but that can end up with duplicate contacts and missing information when you restore after a reset.  It may be worth trying HTC Sync Manager and syncing to outlook on your laptop and using HTC back-up.   Also try a contacts back-up app - there are plenty there and you need to just make sure that they can export or e-mail the contact list and also restore them.  You will also probably lose text threads and call history (although HTC back-up says that it keeps them)so you may want apps to back those up as well.  Try all of those and with luck, you will be able to restore your contacts to the condition that they are in now.  Every time that I do it, I spend ages correcting errors, removing duplicates and reformatting phone numbers etc.

Thanks for the warning about the latest update.

Thanks for the info.  It is not so much outllook accounts I am worried about ( my work outlook account will not sync properly anyway but that's another story!) It is more just the phone numbers I have stored on the phone.

Would I simply be able to switch them to the sim, thus avoiding them being deleted during a factory reset.  ( I am not too worried about pictures etc)

Thanks

hrym

If you have your contacts sync'd with Gmail, they'll simply reappear when you log into your Google account again.  The easiest way to check is to log into Gmail on a computer and look under Contacts.  If they're there, you're fine.

For a belt and braces approach, in the Contacts app on the phone, drop down the menu and go to Import and Export.  Choose export - either to the phone or an external sd card if you have one*.   The resulting file will be in vcard format and you can back it up by emailing it to yourself.   If all else fails, you can re-import your contacts from this file.  Personally, I do this on a regular basis and keep copies in about half a dozen different places, including two cloud storage services.

* If you do have an sd card, it would be worth removing it before resetting, just in case the process decides to wipe any of it.