cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

HTC One m8 VF Stock - Marshmallow Is Here..!

Tink-GB
12: Established

Please enter your issues and experiences in this thread.

60 minute download after three minor updates.
All going okay so far...so will feedback later.
Tink

29 REPLIES 29

Tink-GB
Finally updated...

New standard icons (looks cartoonish a bit)
Slower screen transitions (hmm..)
New keyboard (it's white and maybe a little more accurate?)
Few new menu options in Setup. (Later)
My personal dictionary has been reset.

I still won't download three Apps:
1) EBay v4.x (I'm sticking to v3.x thanks.)
2) HTC Home (because I want raw BlinkFeed)
3) News Republic (ditto above and it sends me spam)

Going to reset my phone after a good back up to see if that speeds things up...
Cheers for now.
Tink

Tink-GB
Just spotted....

News Republic cannot be uninstalled...gonna have to disable it I think to be sure.

Notifications now have a clear all icon so you don't need to swipe-clear individual ones if you don't want.

Question...Does not white apps suck up more battery than black ones due to lighting the pixels?...personally I would like the option to change colours...or I could use my paid app keyboard I suppose. The stock one is much improved IMHO.

hrym
17: Community Champion

I did this last night.   There are three small updates that come through first, then the main event, Marshmallow.   I followed my usual process of closing recent apps to give the device as much of its resources as possible, but didn't restart as I hadn't done anything else at that stage.

The whole process, including optimizing over 200 apps, took about 2 hours and I had the phone plugged in all the time - it's a power-intensive job and there's no way of monitoring battery level, so better safe than sorry!

After the final reboot, there were updates to some of the inbuilt apps, mostly HTC, but also Facebook.  I also got a warning about updating Google Play.   Tapping this, however, only gave me the "deactivate" option and everything seemed to be working OK.   It persisted so I cleared its data in the main settings and the message went away,   It remains to be seen whether it comes back when I turn the phone on again later.   This was the only odditity.

Apart from the obvious things like app permissions, the system doesn't look so very different.   My icons seem to be the same, though I have noticed that some of the system messages come in slightly heavier type.  Google Now has been replaced by Google Now On Tap and isn't accessed by an upwards swipe from the home key but a long press on it.  This takes a little bit of getting used to, but I'm already liking not having it pop up when I scroll down on a long news story and start the movement too low down!   When you first access it, you're asked whether you want to opt into On Tap and I did.   I haven't used it yet.

After updating, I went through all my apps to make sure they worked.  A few asked me to authorise their permissions and I also noticed that I needed to turn sync on again in Google Photos.   Only one app (Radio Times Discover TV) crashed and I fixed that by clearing its data and starting again.  I don't remember an obvious difference in the keyboard, but I'll look more closely.

All this gave the phone quite a workout and my initial feeling was that there was more battery left at the end of it than I'd have expected - about 70% rather than 50%.  This isn't an empiric test and time will show whether the new OS is that much more efficient - though it's supposed to be at least a bit.   With that much use, Doze didn't really have a chance to show what it can do.  I'm also trying to decide whether I have slightly less free space than I did.  I might have had 200-300mb more previously (?)

It's interesting that MM has come to the M8 before the M9 (the 8 was on 5.0.1, the 9 has 5.1.1).   HTC say that it'll be on the M9 shortly.  I'd have done it first on the older device, which isn't my main phone, in any case.

thesoupdragon

@hrym 

HTC made a conscious decision to update the M8 first to show users their commitment to updating older phones that are able to support the latest Android version.

Personally I think this is the right way to do things... 😊

Glad the update went well for both of you... 😉

Tink-GB
What I have noticed after setting up my mail preferences with the HTC mail app, is that I can't seem to select one of my notification sound files. Yes they are on my SD card, in a folder that it picks up correctly...I can select it from the list of sounds...but I can't Apply it. It defaults to 'silent'.

I'm presuming it's because the file format is incorrect but it works perfectly well for SMS's in the same manner..Apply's perfectly.

I therefore think this is a bug. We'll see.

Otherwise how you can actually affect the Main Navigation icons, ie back, home and app select...you can add another and one is 'hide' ....fantastic..!

Tink-GB
Apparently I needed to allow Permissions for the Mail app. An option popup happened in the notification bar and on accepting it, Bob's your Mother's Brother, it now allows my sounds. !

I have also found that applying different themes, actually can alter the keyboard colour, the navigation icon shapes and lots more of other things that a user like me can't change at will, unless I design a theme myself (I don't know how yet).

Finally, it appears BlinkFeed won't nonworking as before...no original topics are available...shame.

After all this today I'm generally pleased that Marshmallow is certainly a step up from Lollipop, unlike Kitkat to Lollipop.

Tink.

thesoupdragon

The HTC theme app is brilliant, I love creating themes on my M9.

It's very addictive... Lol

hrym

Quick update to say that "Update Google Play" didn't appear yesterday.

Oh, and you'll notice that HTC Backup (if you were using it) no longer works.  You need to turn on Google backup if you want to be able to restore this device (it doesn't come back on by default).

The Marshmallow OTA upgrade for the Nexus phones last year was 339Mb, so why is ours > 1Gb.  That's a heck of a lot more bloatware ?!

First thing I've noticed, pressing the power button doesn't give an option to do a full restart closing all apps etc. Just to restart the phone.

After the restart, I still had 3 pages of apps running in recent apps.