Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

HTC One m8 stopped working with Marshmallow, Vodafone wont repair

aj78
4: Newbie

So my phone has been a little unstable since update, and kept going into the bootloader screen(i believ this is what it is called). Now it is stuck in bootloader screen, none of the option will reboot the phone into a working more. So phone is effectively useless.

The phone is still within its 24 month contract with Vodafone and they have refused to repair it for free. Thoughts?

I found this online:

If an update to a digital device – such as an operating system update to your phone – causes your device to cease to function, then you could potentially be protected by the Consumer Rights Act.

The same applies if you download an app which damages your phone.

In both cases the retailer (rather than the developer) will have to compensate you if any device or other digital content you own is damaged as a result of the faulty update.

This only applies where the damage wouldn’t have happened if ‘reasonable care and skill’ been exercised in the provision of the digital content – even if that content was provided free of charge.

This could mean that if an app or operating system update damages your phone to the point where it’s no longer usable, you could be entitled to compensation from the retailer who sold you the phone or the app store through which you purchased the app.

and:

In addition to your mobile phone operator’s terms and conditions, you also have your statutory rights under the Consumer Rights Act (which replaced the Supply of Goods and Services Act from 1 October 2015).

This means your mobile provider – in addition to providing their service to you with reasonable skill and care – has to ensure the actual handset is of satisfactory quality and fit for purpose.

You could argue that a handset sold on a two-year contract is only ‘fit for purpose’ if it lasts two years.

Anyone had any luck getting Vodafone to honour this?

5 REPLIES 5

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @aj78

Sorry to hear this has happened to your phone. 

I assume a Hard Reset / Factory Reset cannot help ?

On a slightly different angle have you considered contacting Htc Uk Support as they maybe able to help / guide you ?

What reason has Vodafone given to not be able to help ?

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Vodafone simply stated that the phone has a 1 year warranty from HTC which is expired and a repair would be chargable. They ignore that fact they provided the phone on a 24 month contract and it is now not fit for purpose.

Factory reset does not work

BandOfBrothers

As per Vodafone Help and Support 

http://support.vodafone.co.uk/Protecting-your-device/Warranty/38948878/When-I-buy-a-device-from-Voda...

Htc apply a 24 Month manufacturing warranty but does exclude user defined damage such as drops and water damage as examples. 

Current Phone  >

Not what Vodafone said on chat:

Andy: Why will I be charged when the device has stopped working during my contract period and is not due to any accidental damage?
Abhinav: Andy, the phone is only provided to you as a part of the contract and we are not selling it to you.
Abhinav: The manufacturer's provide a 1 year manufacturer warranty.
Abhinav: I have checked this for you and can see that your phone is out of warranty so if you wish to get the phone repaired, you will be charged for the same.

BandOfBrothers

I'm unable to say why that's been advised.  

From the link "Except for Apple products, all devices come with our standard 24-month warranty. If you’re a Pay monthly or Business customer, this applies whatever the length or type of your price plan. If you’re a Pay as you go customer, your warranty starts on the day you buy your device."

From Htc themselves "This Limited Warranty shall last for twenty-four (24) months from the date of original purchase for mobile devices, and twelve (12) months for accessories (whether included in the mobile device sales package or sold separately) other than the media on which any software is provided, CD-ROM, memory card (“Warranty Period”)."

Current Phone  >