Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

HTC One receives gmail sends gmail on 3g but cant send on Wifi

bigzosso
1: Seeker

My new HTC One can send and receive my emails on 3G but if on any Wifi network it cannot send emails.

This morning at home, I took a photo and sent it vie my gmail account to my works enail account on the home BT Infinity wifi. I had not received it when I got to work so I resent the photo again via my work wifi. (I have never had a problem doing this on my last HTC One, just since I got this new one last week).

I can get on the internet OK with wifi, its just not sending emails. I get the message "Unable to send mail. The account setting is incorrect". When I go into check account settings it is all OK, I hit the Next button and I get a warning "Authentication failed. Please Verify username and/or password."

If I resend the email on wifi (so it fails to send), then switch over from wifi to 3g, open the failure message to go to account settings and check the account settings, when I hit the Next button I dont get the above warning and it all works fine, so the settings (username/password/port etc...) are all ok?

If I keep my phone on 3g and try to send the email again it sends fine. This is happening on home and works wifi?

Can anyone shed any light on this please?

5 REPLIES 5

hrym
17: Community Champion

What software are you using to access emails?   If it's the stock Android email app, it could be that you're using an smtp server that requires authentication or that only accepts connections over it's own network (though the fact that you can do this over mobile data is a bit odd with regard to that).

If you aren't already, try the dedicated Gmail app, which doesn't require any setup as regards connections and should work however your connected.   Or, if you need to use the offline client, try using the gmail smtp server if you aren't already.

Thanks, I have just been on Playstore to download the Gmail app and it says I already have it. So the email app I have been using is the standard one that is a white envelope with a red V shape on it which is why I thought it was the gmail app. I have just opened the gmail app which is a white envelope with a red M shape (so alike!!!) and sent a photo usingthat on wifi without problems, so the wifi problem is with the standard built in email app. Thanks for the heads up.

Any ideas as I stop that being the default email as the checkbox is ticked for default, but greyed out? I cantdeselect it, nor can I setthe actual gmail app as default? Maybe I can but I cant find a way, any ideas?

thanks again

Hi @bigzosso

If you follow the below steps:

Settings > General > Account > delete the email account > Add account > the select either personal IMAP or POP3 for the gmail account.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers,

Laura

Hi Laura, thanks but it was already setup like that. I have removed and added the account again but it is still not working over wifi but ok on 3g. I have closed down the built in default email and now use gmail's own app, with the exact same settings and it works fine. So it would seem it is a problem with the built in email app as gmails works without problem :smileyindifferent:

hrym

If the Gmail app is working, all you should need to do is use it rather than the other one.   You could go into the offline client and delete the account or Settings|Apps, then open the email app and tap Clear Data.  That'll delete everything and it should be out of the way.   Delete the app you're not using from your homescreen and it'll be out of the way.

Problems with sendign emails are usually related to smtp server settings and usually involve authentication and security.  Because different servers require different things, it can be a bit of a can of worms to sort out.   The Gmail app takes care of all of it and uses the Gmail server, so there's nothing to set up.   You can also easily manage your messages from it, though at the moment, you can only move messages to folders, not create new ones (you have to do that on the website).