You are here:

HTC

Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
gregabbott

HTC SENSATION UNABLE TO SCAN FOR NETWORKS ON WI-FI

My HTC Sensation keeps telling me that it is unable to Scan for Networks when i try and Wi Fi. Tried talking to Vodafone Tech Services but they dont seem to know why and are not very helpful.

Message 1 of 10 (11,688 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
James

Re: HTC SENSATION UNABLE TO SCAN FOR NETWORKS ON WI-FI

Hi gregabott,

I must admit that this is a strange one and it’s not something that I have ever come across before.

To help diagnose this issue can you tell me the following;

When you search for a WIFI connection do you get any error messages?

Is you WIFI activated on the handset?

Does this happen in all locations or just at home?

Is your WIFI connection (home router) set to show the SSID?

Are you able to connect to the WIFI connection by typing in the network name (SSID) manually?

Also please can you let me know the exact steps that you take when searching for a WIFI network?

If you can let me know I will be able to look at this further for you.

James

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 2 of 10 (11,667 Views)
gregabbott

Hi i have had this phone for months and never had a problem with wi-fi. When i turn my wi-fi on it keeps turning on then off then on and off. It then says tat it is unable to scan for networks. It happens in all locations and i've also tried typing it in manually. I also keep getting a message saying inform HTC as my phone has just recovered from an abnormal reset.

Please help me as no one over the phone seems interested

Message 3 of 10 (11,616 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Dave

Hi gregabbott,

It sounds from the error message like there may be something which hasn't restarted properly or closed properly that is preventing the software running as expected.

Much like a PC, the best move to start with can be a simple rebooting of the system, or in this case a hard reset. To do this, just follow the instructions below:

- Switch the handset on
- Whilst powered up, remove the SIM card and battery
- Put the battery back in and switch on
- Wait a couple of minutes, then remove the battery again
- Replace the SIM and battery and switch back on

Let us know if this resolves the issue. If not, we can look at resetting the handset, but I'd rather see if that works before going down that route to avoid you having to set the handset up to your liking again.

Dave

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 4 of 10 (11,590 Views)
gregabbott

Still not working and saying Unable To Scan for Networks

Message 5 of 10 (11,556 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
James

Hi gregabbott,

Many thanks for getting back to us.

Can you confirm if you have updated your software to the latest version (ICS) that is now available?

If not, please can you do this by selecting menu- settings – about pone – software update.

I would recommend doing this whilst connected to WIFI if possible however, if not then this can also be done with a strong 3G signal although it will then use part of your data allowance.

James

Message 6 of 10 (11,549 Views)
gregabbott

Fantastic. 305mb used and still same problem. Now getting really dissapointed that i pay for something i can't use.

Message 7 of 10 (11,525 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
James

Hi gregabbott,

Unfortunately as this hasn’t resolved the issue for you the next step would be to look at a fault with the device.

So that we can get this assessed we will need you to send the phone away for a free of charge repair as it sounds like it could be an issue with the inbuilt WIFI chip not working correctly.

James

Message 8 of 10 (11,495 Views)
gregabbott

so will vodafone supply me with another phone??

Message 9 of 10 (11,484 Views)
Tech Team
Wayne

Hi gregabbott

Thanks for your post here.

If you have Vodafone Insurance on your account then you will be entitled to a loan phone while your phone is away for repair.

Thanks

Wayne

Message 10 of 10 (11,462 Views)