You are here:
Ask a question:
Rank 12: Guide I

Re: HTC Sensation - Rapid Power Drain

My drain has been poor when idle but then I am comparing it to my modified Desire HD which has amazing standby drain. I have suspected the drain was due to the phone constantly trying to hold onto 3G instead of dropping to 2G when possible so I've installed Juice Defender once more. Never had to on my Desire HD but the idle drain seems a bit better now. Might run some tests to confirm it.

Other than that I've left my phone on automatic brightness (might change this to a set amount) and have left all my push sync per normal (8 email accounts). I have disabled realtime G+ notifications though as that was a major battery drain.

@noal, that sounds pretty bad! What apps do you have installed? Any that run constantly in the background? I'd see if you could get the battery changed, or change your sync options, especially if you use Twitter or Facebook (change it from sync every 5 mins to an hour or two).
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy S3

If I have helped you in any way then please click on the star on the left ^_^ Thank you!
Message 21 of 41 (6,586 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster

Thanks NeoBlade.

To be honest I haven't got that much installed. A few games and apps but nothing major and I don't use facebook or twitter either.

My sync options are also set at the maximum time allowed so I'm sure it can't be that either.

I have a samsung galaxy tab, so I thought I had managed to control the battery with android quite well but this seems to be something else. I don't know how to explain losing 50% battery with the phone turned off!

Message 22 of 41 (6,577 Views)
Tech Team

Hi Noal,

Thanks for your post here. I’m sorry to hear that you are having this problem too. I appreciate how frustrating this must be for you.

Unfortunately, if you have a fault with your phone/battery (which you would appear to have) then the only option is to send the device away for repair. You can get all the information you need on how to do this by following the link in Lee’s post above. I'm sure that once you do this, you'll have a 100% fully functioning phone once again :smileyhappy:

Please let me know how you get on and if you have any more questions we’ll be happy to help you further

Thanks

Wayne

eForum Team

Want to give feedback about me?

You can do so here

Message 23 of 41 (6,566 Views)

You do have some severe battery drain... If you have some spare time we could diagnose this. Please install this free app called System Panel - https://market.android.com/details?id=nextapp.systempanel&feature=search_result

Install it and use the phone as normal for 2 days. Then open the app and see which app is using the most CPU.

You don't have a Task Manager installed do you? For modern phones its no longer required (quite a debate if any of them should exist in the first place...). Let me know how it goes!

On a side note I'm awaiting to hear back if I can have my HTC Sensation exchanged due to a dead pixel...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I have helped you in any way then please click on the star on the left ^_^ Thank you!
Message 24 of 41 (6,556 Views)

Thank you for your replies NeoBlade and Wayne,

I've just installed system panel and I will give it a few days.

I have no task manager except for the one already on the phone.

I was just uninstalling some apps when the phone turned off. I turned it back on and it asked me to select a time zone!

I don't know what to do. This rapid drain has happened about three times since I had it but it doesn't leave you with much confidence!

I'll report back soon.

Message 25 of 41 (6,541 Views)

Hmm... It sounds like a bad battery to me but let me know how it goes. I forgot to ask, is it on the latest firmware as well? Make sure the battery is over 50% before flashing or have it connected to charge while doing the update. Does it heat up so its very warm to the touch?

Message 26 of 41 (6,527 Views)

Yep, latest firmware. The heat seems to build depending on what I'm using. If playing a game for an hour it can get quite warm on the back around the centre and bottom.

Perhaps I will send it in and might get a new battery. I don't mind nursing the battery through the day but the total randomness is frustrating.

Message 27 of 41 (6,502 Views)

Playing an intensive 3D game or so will make the handset hot as it needs a lot of processing power. That in itself is normal but it should not be too hot to hold. The battery drain though is still pretty high. Hopefully system panel can reveal something. Have a look at the app and the logs to see which app is using up the battery/cpu the most.

Message 28 of 41 (6,491 Views)

Right, it has happened again!

Nearly exactly the same as last time. First checked at 4:30 pm after a full charge at 2pm, and it was down to 60%.

Checked again at 7pm and it was down to 10% without me using it once.

Task manager shows nothing running but system monitor has about 20 programs running in the background such as calendar, dock mode, gmail, htc message uploader, htc report agent, internet, mail, market, messages, my uploads, settings, shop, status bar, touch input and wallpaper.

Is this normal for android?

I'll admit to not delving too deep with my Tab as my partner stole it most of the time!

If this is normal then I suppose i will have to go the dreaded repair route!:smileyvery-happy:

Message 29 of 41 (6,451 Views)

There's now a Mugen power battery for the Sensation, 1800 instead of 1520 maH, came out earlier this month.

Mugen power batteries are supposed to be really good.

Anyone tried one in a Sensation yet?

Message 30 of 41 (6,438 Views)
Tech Team

Hi noal,

Thanks for coming back to us here. I’m sorry to hear that you are still having this problem. I understand how annoying this must be.

I can’t confirm exactly what programs should be running in the background as I don’t personally own an Android handset, however I’m sure NeoBlade will be happy to confirm this.

Even with those applications running, the battery drain still seems a bit extreme. I’d still recommend the repair option.

Please let me know how you get on and if you need anything else, let me know. :smileyhappy:

Thanks

Wayne

eForum Team

Want to give feedback about me?

You can do so here

Message 31 of 41 (6,427 Views)
Rank 1: Guest

I have just started having this problem. 

I've had my Sensation about two months, And I've found the battery to be OK.  Drains pretty quickly with heavy use, but it lasts a day, And that's fine with me.

Lately though (past few days) I keep leaving it on standby And then coming back to it And it's VERY hot,. And the battery is almost or completely drained. 

I assumed this was some app In the background, so I tried restarting it And charging it - but it was the same problem.

Last night I restarted it, charged it fully, then this morning I made sure I went In And "killed" anything running In the background - so I've got a fully charged phone, not running anything, wifi turned off, etc.  I then didn't even look at it until I got to work.  When I did get to work, it was hot, And 40-50% of the power was gone... In less than an hour And a half!

I'd much rather fix this than have to get a replacement or my money back, so I'm open to any advice!

P.S.. I've not installed any new apps recently either.

Thanks,

Tom

Message 32 of 41 (6,413 Views)

If I remember rightly, all my problems seemed to have started after the firmware update.

My phone also keeps randomly rebooting.

I have now done a hard reset to see if this helps. If not I'll send it in for repair.

teburne, I suggest a hard reset first, then if things don't improve, send it away for repair unfortunately.:smileymad:

Message 33 of 41 (6,390 Views)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi guys,

First of all thank you for your enquiry. I am sure this is something that can be resolved quickly and easily :smileyhappy:

It would appear you have tried all you can do for now, I would recommend that we have the phone sent off for repair.

Please let me know how you get on with this.

Many Thanks

Martin

eForum Team

Message 34 of 41 (6,376 Views)

If you read a few Android forums, the phone going hot and draining battery is usually a sign that some process is in an infinite loop, or a wakelock as they prefer to call it.   Email tends to be a common one, especially Exchange Activesync coupled with some kind of Juice Defender which kills connections (you need to setup to be on push mail rather than pull if you use juice defender).

It's almost certainly going to be a piece of software, so sending a handset off for repair is a bit drastic.  Backup your stuff and do a factory reset and if it was software apps/config then these will be wiped so it should hopefully stop.

Message 35 of 41 (6,373 Views)

Currently got my system running at 192 MHz (really!) and the battery is lasting ages.

What the hell am I doing?
Oh yeah, forgot to say that when I am using the device its overclocked to 1512 MHz.

So not only am I getting more power when I need it (2300 points in Quadrant if I thought that actually mattered) but my battery life has gone through the roof... its just not dropping when the device is idle.

Obviously, the process required to do all this has to be repeated every time I reboot, but yeah the outlook is good!
Message 36 of 41 (6,364 Views)

My experience on the Galaxy S 2 was that automatic background sync can be quite a killer.

You could use a tool like this https://market.android.com/details?id=cz.psencik.simple.autosync to turn off autosync on all apps except for

- facebook

- twitter

for example

leaving all the *contact sync* to only happen every day.

For me this significantly extends the battery life yet doesn't stop tweets, emails coming through instantly. It won't get you as far as juice defender, but will likely give another 50% or so.,

Message 37 of 41 (6,305 Views)
Rank 1: Guest

FYI

the Vodafone repair link is broken

regards

Message 38 of 41 (6,170 Views)
Tech Team

Hi bakerk

Thanks for your post here but the link is working fine for me. Could you retry?

Thanks

Wayne

eForum Team

Message 39 of 41 (6,082 Views)
Rank 2: First Poster

The repair link comes up with 'An Unexpected Error has occurred. '

I am also seeing terrible battery life with my sensation. It will now only last about 24 hours without a charge - this is with EVERYTHING turned off! wifi, gps, background data, nothing set to sync.

The final straw was last night, went to bed with phone at about 80%, 8 hours later it was dead! As I use my phone as an alarm this is terrible.

Look at the battery graph:

device.png 

This looks like poor phone signal basicly killed the battery. My sim is looking a bit battered so I'll try getting it replaced, but even so surely this shouldn't be happening?

Message 40 of 41 (6,035 Views)
Samsung Galaxy Alpha

Samsung Galaxy Alpha

Stand out from the crowd