HTC

Ask a question:
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Lee

Re: HTC Sensation slower after ICS update

Hi there Roverduck,

Thanks for your post.

I'm afraid the company policy is to repair the handset and if it's not repairable then a replacement would be sent.

The replacement may be a refurbished unit.

Thanks,

Lee

Message 41 of 70 (14,109 Views)
Rank 12: Guide I
NeoBlade

@GPT I don't think Vodafone has actually added that much on top of what HTC has supplied to them, certainly not enough to cause this issue. Limiting the background processes just makes the phone a little more strict as to what can stay alive. If you don't multi-task much, if at all then it won't affect you. 

Its just one setting that you can test for a day to see if it affects your daily usage of the phone. If you don't notice any difference in terms of your usage, then it just means you don't run as many background processes as you might think.

Settings > Developer Options > Background Process Limit > At most, 2 processes.

If you do notice that your music app or any other multi-tasking app is affecting you, then increase it to 3 or 4 processes. Try it for a day or two at each setting to see if it helps.

Granted its not the most ideal solution but its one that the end user can try now, rather than hope HTC/Vodafone will release an update to help the issues.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy S3

If I have helped you in any way then please click on the star on the left ^_^ Thank you!
Message 42 of 70 (14,098 Views)
Rank 2: First Poster
Roverduck

This is now no longer funny. my sensation is almost a slow and unresponsive as my old N96
HTC Sensation running Stock ROM until I build up the courage to flash a custom ROM.
Message 43 of 70 (13,995 Views)
Roverduck

Are we expecting any more update from Vodafone to address this issue? Or are we going to be forgotten about now HTC have released the one Series?
HTC Sensation running Stock ROM until I build up the courage to flash a custom ROM.
Message 44 of 70 (13,931 Views)
ST2
Rank 1: Guest
ST2

[ Edited ]

7 Days to Return, I think you will find that contravenes the Sale of Goods and Services Act 1979

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/consumer-rights-refunds-exchange

• Within four weeks. You can usually still get a full refund as you're unlikely to be seen as having 'accepted' the goods. After that only expect exchange, repair or part-refund.

• Within six months. The shop must prove goods weren't faulty when they sold 'em – after that you must prove they were.

I had my Sensation for approx 1 month, and was unhappy with various aspects, old software, couldn't update, etc etc.  Returned it to the Vodafone retail outlet after sending a letter to them quote the Sale of Goods Act. rejecting the goods.  The manager replied and goods replaced without any further discussion.

Oh and also lookup Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act if you purchased on a credit card.

Message 45 of 70 (13,881 Views)
Cutoman

Hi

I'm on Three and exactly the same lagging, I think it is a HTC issue rahter than a carrier problem. Three delayed the release for ICS for the Sensation for a month due to known issues !! They said this did not apply to the Sensation Xl which thye released 4 weeks prior. 

So not just Vodafone peeps !!

Message 46 of 70 (13,849 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
sbrk

so did you get a later revision on 3 or just the same as us a month later? the voda release is 3.32.
Message 47 of 70 (13,834 Views)
GPT
GPT

I've now just about convinced myself that the fastboot and process limiting 'fixes' do not cure the issues we have all been experiencing.  The newest trick mine does is to not react quickly enough to the unlock button, so I unlock, think it hasn't worked, press it again and then the screen flashes on and off as the key presses register.  Very very annoying.

Is there any official word on whether this issue is being looked at by anyone?  HTC or Vodafone?  It's clearly affecting a lot of people and isn't down to specific apps or settings.  It's also clear that it is not fixed by a hard reset.

Message 48 of 70 (13,787 Views)
Tech Team
James

Hi guys,

I have raised this to our devices team for further investigation however, if the issue can be replicated it will be fed back to HTC for a patch to be created if possible.

Once we have more details we will let you know.

James

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 49 of 70 (13,744 Views)
bswain

My HTC Sensation has ground to a near halt since the ICS update!

It is so slow, internet takes ages to load as do email and most apps.

Before the update my sensation was great. Very responsive and fast loading?

Can anything be done to speed my phone up? :smileysad:(

Message 50 of 70 (13,739 Views)
cloudbreak

[ Edited ]

Hi guys - I've been watching this thread and various others for months now trying to figure out how to get my sensation back to it's zippy self after the ICS update calamity and am extremely pleased to say that I've found the answer, for me at least!

The main problem was that the ICS memory footprint was so much larger than Android 3 that with normal use during the day, I'd frequently discover that I'd only got about 35-40mb free. That is the single biggest contributor to the phone's appalling speed (I was even missing calls because the phone wouldn't catch up in time - and I'm trying to run a business!).

After a bit of digging I discovered that Sense has a huge footprint, as much as 100mb and so ditched it and installed Apex Launcher with a much smaller footprint. This immediately sped my phone up and, although skeptical about how long it would last, a couple of days on and a fair bit of use later and my phone is absolutely zipping along. Believe me I'd tried EVERYTHING else - the fast boot switch, reducing the background process limit, even trying to argue with Vodafone that the phone was no longer fit for purpose with absolutely no luck.

I believe this is the answer. Please note, I don't work for Apex, this isn't a lame marketing attempt. I would strongly suggest installing the free version and just seeing if it makes a difference. If it does then it would be well worth documenting it on this forum so we can tell for sure that it's a universal solution.

To any Vodafone employees that read this forum, I have to say that your customer service on this has been simply awful. Despite trying several different routes, no attempt to help me out with either a replacement phone or any other quick solution has been made, I was simple told that there was nothing that could be done, and I've been left for several months with a near useless phone, trying to run a business. I'd expect so much more from one of the largest carriers in the UK. You should test the phones first before you sell them or endorse an update. Simply appalling - you should be embarrassed.

I hope that this solves everyone's speed issues - to reiterate this is what I've done.

1. Install Apex Launcher free (I've actually donated cos I'm so pleased at having my phone back)

2. Press the home button and choose to always use Apex.

3. When Apex has launched, hold down the home button to bring up the task manager and swipe to close Sense

4. Enjoy your phone with all the speed you remembered with all the loveliness of ICS. Job done.

5. Get on with your life without being frustrated every single time you use your phone.

Really hope this helps everyone - I now have approx 115mb free most of the time.

Jonty

Message 51 of 70 (13,632 Views)
bswain

Hi Jonty,
Thank you very much I will give this a try.
You using the Sensation?
Message 52 of 70 (13,601 Views)
cloudbreak

Yup.
Message 53 of 70 (13,594 Views)
Roverduck

thanks cloudbreak

I did try different launchers, the only one that I really like was Golauncher but that made the phone even slower. Any way one of the big selling points for me when I bought it was sense, I had it on my HD2 and loved it although winmo 6.5 was shocking. I should have chosen the SGS2 but at the time I didnt like touchwizz but after playing with it for a bit longer I really feel I could get on with it.

Lets hope VF can come up with a solution.

cheers

RD

Message 54 of 70 (13,501 Views)
bswain

Hi Jonty,
Thank you, you brought my phone back to life!
Works brilliantly, downloaded Apex and bang the phone was full of beans!
Many thanks for sharing your findings!
Regards
Bob
Message 55 of 70 (13,495 Views)
cloudbreak

No worries Bob - glad it helped. I can't believe how much quicker it makes it.

Roverduck - sorry it's not helped. I much prefer Sense as well mainly because of the far superior widgets that I now don't have access to but I guess it's a sacrifice I'm definitely willing to make in order to have a phone I can use :smileyhappy: Hope you find a solution.

Message 56 of 70 (13,466 Views)
storm2

Hi Cloudbreak and everybody else!!

In short .... get Apex!!

In more detail!  I downloaded the free Apex, could see it made a huge difference to my Sensation performance and went straight to the AppStore and payed £2.49 for the full version!!

I've spent about an hour or so playing with it this morning and I now have it working just like it did on HTC Sense.  I turned off the option that kept on coming up as to whether I wanted to complete an action with Sense or Apex and I'm sure there's a way of turning Sense back on should I want to - which is most unlikely!

It took me a while to figure out that the App Drawer was the way to repopulate my home page and a few other quirky little bits but all in all it's brilliant!  It does seem as though you need a rooted phone for some widgets but I'm running calengoo and the battery left widget.  I've just reinstalled 3g watchdog pro which I took off to see if it made my phone better after the ICS install.  It didn't seem to but I never re-installed it until now .... and it looks like it will be fine ... it takes a bit of time to gather statistics before showing them on the widget. 

The only widget I've not got working is Aix Weather.  I can live without it .... or if I have another play I might just get it going .... but it does seem it wants the phone to be rooted before it will work.  I might delete it, reinstall it and see if it works then. 

If you look back at my other posts you will see I came up with a way to include my ICE (In Case of Emergency) contact details on the lock screen and as a wallpaper.  The positioning of the icons on Apex (which is highly configurabele) don't quite match up with where I have the ICE info on any settings so I will have a play with that ... probably before I spend any time on the Aix Weather widget!

Phil

So, there we are, get on and do it and you can stop complaining about ICS on your Sensation!! 

Phil C
Message 57 of 70 (12,889 Views)
GPT
GPT

Thanks for this.

I'm still waiting for a response from Vodafone though.  I like Sense and use a lot of the inbuilt widgets.  I want it fixed.

Message 58 of 70 (12,879 Views)
moonlustie

Well I seem to have had Android 4 installed on the phone over the last few days and it's a nightmare :catmad: - apps keep crashing and every time you want to move from one thing to another it goes back to the home screen which then takes ages to reload - would removing sense help this?

Any other suggestions?

Message 59 of 70 (12,866 Views)
Tech Team
DaveCD

Hi everyone 

Thank you for your posts.

There has been some fantastic support on here and it is great to see.:smileyhappy:

I have asked for an update regarding our investigations and as soon as I hear anything I will post back here.

Many Thanks

DaveCD

eForum Team

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 60 of 70 (12,855 Views)