Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

HTC Sync Manager

stefanlord
4: Newbie

HTC Sync manager is having trouble detecting my phone, the computer knows the phone is there, the sync manager loads up but the it says no phone is connected.

Is there anyway I can use the backup files to restore my contacts without using the sync manager?

Would mobilego be able to use the files and restore my contacts?

7 REPLIES 7

hrym
17: Community Champion

The best way to make sure your contacts are backed up is to make sure they're sync'd with something - your Google account is the obvious place.   Unless you've specifically stopped that happening, they should be anyway - log into your Google account and have a look at Contacts within Gmail.

You can also go into the contacts app on the phone and choose import/export off the settings menu.  This allows you to export to a vcard file which you can upload to a cloud service or email to yourself.   Note that, if you've updated to Lollipop, you have to put a password on the file, which limits where you can re-import, but it's better than nothing.  There are also export options on the Gmail website.

Personally, I don't like proprietary backup formats as they can be unreliable and I prefer the file-by-file method.   I have photos set to sync (over wifi only to save mobile data) with Dropbox, but you can do it with Google+ too.

Have tried my google account, the contacts I need aren't backed up there.

And with Sync managet not working proeprly I need to know if I can use the backup file with another program like mobilego. Or somehow manipulate the backup file and get the contact information from it.

hrym

Backup files tend to be in a proprietary format, which is why I don't like them.  I've even know them to be incompatible between versions.   The only way to find out if yours is compatible is to try it.

If you can get into Contacts, use the export option I suggested - you'll be able to re-import then you set the phone up again.  Contacts are normally set to sync with Google by default (in fact, although the option to turn that off was on my Gingerbread Galaxy S2, I think it's been removed from later versions of Android) so, at some point, I'd be inclined to, back up, delete and re-import.

TimGriff6
13: Advanced Member

I have had problems in the past with sync manager and may be able to help.  Could you explain a bit more though?

Where are your contacts?  Are they on the phone or in outlook?  Where are they missing from?

As something to do that won't lose any data, try uninstalling HTC sync manager, download the current version from the HTC web site and install it again.

I had my phone backed up on sync manager. I did this before and was able to recover contacts and messages, but this time I can't get Sync Manager to connect to the phone even though the computer finds it.

It was the latest version of sync manager. And I tried uninstalling an reinstalling it.

To be honest I have given up and just emailed and contacted people through social media to get my contacts again.

Think this time I'll back them up on google.

hrym

@stefanlord wrote:
Think this time I'll back them up on google.

If you've signed in to your Google account, they should synchronise automatically.    I'd also recommend a separate backup.  In Contacts, go into the menu and select Import/Export.   Choose the location.   If you're on Lollipop, you'll have to give the file a PIN code, so make sure you keep a note of it.  When the file has been produced, copy it somewhere else, either via cloud storage or by emailing it to yourself - I'd keep a copy on a PC as well as (or instead of) leaving it in the cloud.

Personally, I have my backups on: my sd card, 2 cloud accounts and two separate drives on my home network.  That's several belts and several braces!

TimGriff6
13: Advanced Member

Just a thought - did the USB get repaired properly or is it possible that there is a wiring error in it?