Support:

HTC

Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
jay_1978

HTC Wildfire - PC Software Won't Recognise Phone

I know this is more a HTC question but I was wondering if anyone had synced up to your pc ? I have downloaded the software but it doesn't recognise my phone. I did hear that the software won't properly work on the wildfire has yet, Not sure if this is true tho.
Message 1 of 17 (21,330 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
James

Hi Jay_1978,

i'm not too sure about this one as I've ot yet had the chance to play with the device, however can i ask what exactly you are trying to do when you are syncing to your PC?

The reason i ask is that there a a number of apps that will most probably do the job for you however if you can let us know then we will be able to offer a little more assistance.

James
eForum Team

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 2 of 17 (21,330 Views)
jay_1978

I was just trying to sync it up to the pc, Not for any reason but I was thinking it would be easier for future firmware updates to do it from the pc, Thanks for help.

Hi Jay_1978,

i'm not too sure about this one as I've ot yet had the chance to play with the device, however can i ask what exactly you are trying to do when you are syncing to your PC?

The reason i ask is that there a a number of apps that will most probably do the job for you however if you can let us know then we will be able to offer a little more assistance.

James
eForum Team
Message 3 of 17 (21,330 Views)
Guydo

I have the same problem, downloaded the HTC sync for wildfire, installed on PC with icon in tasl bar, but when I connect the phone HTC sync says no device connected. Have tried the debugging setting and 'ask me' but phone does not 'ask me'! I want to sync with outlook calendar and manage photoes etc on sd card via the PC. Any advice would be welcome.
Message 4 of 17 (21,330 Views)
Rank 5: Regular Poster
DeanH

I dont think you need to use the Syc software, i just connect the phone using a USB cable, the phone is then recognised and ask if i want to "Charge only" or use as a disk drive. If i want to move files, music or pictures, i choose the Disk drive option.
if the option does not show when the phone is connected, you can change it by going into settings- connect to pc-then press "default connection type" this will bring up the options.

As for syncing with outlook, i dont think it can be done via pc, i had the same issue with my old Magic. I use a product called Gsyncit, this keeps all of my Outlook contacts and appointments synced with the android / google side of things.
Message 5 of 17 (21,330 Views)
Guydo

I dont think you need to use the Syc software, i just connect the phone using a USB cable, the phone is then recognised and ask if i want to "Charge only" or use as a disk drive. If i want to move files, music or pictures, i choose the Disk drive option.
if the option does not show when the phone is connected, you can change it by going into settings- connect to pc-then press "default connection type" this will bring up the options.

As for syncing with outlook, i dont think it can be done via pc, i had the same issue with my old Magic. I use a product called Gsyncit, this keeps all of my Outlook contacts and appointments synced with the android / google side of things.

Thanks. I tried just connecting the phone by USB (before downloading HTC sync), but with same results. The phone is recognised as a removeable disk and the disk properties show HTC Andoid phone but when I try to access the drive from the PC it says please enter a disk! I have tried 2 SDHC cards incase one was faulty.

The phone does not ask me for an option, and I have tried manually setting the options on the phone to 'Charge only' and 'disk drive' but with no difference. Any other thoughts?
Message 6 of 17 (21,330 Views)
Tech Team
Wayne

Hi Guydo and welcome to the eForum

Thanks for your post here. I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with this.

When you plug the phone into your USB port you should get a pop up box on your handset. Just click 'Mount'. If you do not get this you should be able to drag down from the top of the screen (The notification bar) and select it from within here.

This will then allow you to select it as a drive within Windows.

Can you confirm if you get this option of not?

Please let me know if you have any more questions and we'll be more than happy to help you further

Thanks

Wayne

eForum Team

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 7 of 17 (21,330 Views)
Guydo

No I do not get this option and there is nothing relevant in the notification bar.
Message 8 of 17 (21,330 Views)
jay_1978

That is odd that you don't get the options, When I plug my usb cable into my phone and pc it does give me the options to charge, or use has disk drive. I have sussed mine now and you don't need to sync it with any software, Also you can transfer stuff from your pc to your phone or vice versa via bluetooth which I have on my desktop.

No I do not get this option and there is nothing relevant in the notification bar.
Message 9 of 17 (21,330 Views)
Guydo

Thanks for the replies so far, but does anyone else have any suggestions as it seeems that the key issue is that my phone is not showing the option for charging or disk drive. Could there be some setting on the phone that I am missing?
Message 10 of 17 (21,330 Views)
OneTen

I can't help but I am having the same issue.

I downloaded the HTC Sync software and installed it, although I'm unable to disable AVG anti-virus so this may have had an impact. I connected the phone to the PC with the USB cable and chose the option of 'HTC Sync' on the phone, the USB icon displayed at the top of the phone screen but the HTC Sync software did not recognise the phone. I was able to change the connection type on the phone to 'Disk drive' and could access the files on the phone from the PC.

As far as I'm aware nothing has changed but I can no longer access the phone from the PC and the USB icon no longer shows at the top of the phone screen. I've tried USB debugging and the PC prompts me to install a driver but this doesn't help.

It's looking like a bug to me. Has anyone had any success?
Message 11 of 17 (21,330 Views)
OneTen

Having slept on it I have remembered that I did take the SD card out, replace it with another then put the original back. I guess it was after this that the USB stopped functioning. Simply switching the phone off and on again has re-enabled the USB connection and the PC recognises the phone and as external drive. HTC Sync still won't connect though.
Message 12 of 17 (21,330 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
James

Hey Guys,

To be honest i'm not to sure what to advise here, due to this I will get one of our day team to look at this for us and see if they can come up with anything for us. ;)

James
eForum Team

Message 13 of 17 (21,330 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Holly

Hi guydo,

Firstly can you try uninstalling the HTC Sync from your computer, you can do this from your PC's control panel. There should be something like 'adding and removing programs'. Once this is done reboot the computer and see if it will recognize it now.

If it still can't see it can you try a different computer or a different usb cable just so we can narrow down which part of the process is failing?

Thanks

Holly
eForum Team
Message 14 of 17 (21,330 Views)
Guydo

Thanks for all the advice, but I Think I've cracked it. Long story short, but I had cause to remove the battery and re install it. Hey presto! when I next connected, the phone offered me the option to sync, and I can now also access the phone as a hard drive from the PC.
Message 15 of 17 (21,330 Views)
dennisturvey

I can't help but I am having the same issue.

I downloaded the HTC Sync software and installed it, although I'm unable to disable AVG anti-virus so this may have had an impact. I connected the phone to the PC with the USB cable and chose the option of 'HTC Sync' on the phone, the USB icon displayed at the top of the phone screen but the HTC Sync software did not recognise the phone. I was able to change the connection type on the phone to 'Disk drive' and could access the files on the phone from the PC.

As far as I'm aware nothing has changed but I can no longer access the phone from the PC and the USB icon no longer shows at the top of the phone screen. I've tried USB debugging and the PC prompts me to install a driver but this doesn't help.

It's looking like a bug to me. Has anyone had any success?

If you are using windows vista, HTC SYNC should install.
1) on AVG disable resident shield before installing htc sync
2) before connecting, make sure your htc phone is set on usb debugging then try to connect
( make sure htc sync has installed properly by double clicking HELP, if the help pages do not come up, it has not installed properly, if this is the case go to add or remove programs,click on htc sync and click repair)

if you are running windows 7 i'm afraid i am also having problems as when i check properties on htc sync and check compatibility mode it does not show windows 7
Message 16 of 17 (21,330 Views)
bubbledude

Re: HTC Wildfire - PC Software Won't Recognise Phone

Message 17 of 17 (15,680 Views)