Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

HTC mini 2 - always breaking

cascar
2: Seeker

I changed to the HTC one mini 2 in late November 2014. By January 2015 it was constantly coming up with error messages and freezing on the start up screen and had been back to the vodafone shop at least 3 times to be fixed. It finally got sent away and i was sent a replacement phone. A month later, this phone begins to play up as well and have been in the vodafone shop 3 or 4 more times, and was in the shop today as i can no longer sync any of my accounts meaning i have no contacts in my phone or anything else. And some of my apps have stopped working or disappeared all together, including my clock, internet and calender. When i went in, i was told to come on this and see if i can get any answers and that i should be able to switch phones to a toatlly different brand/model as this one is proving to be utterly useless and unfunctional. It's really infuriating as i have had this phone for around 6 or 7 months and has been in repairs for a whole month and problematic or unfunctional for at least 2-3 months. Also, have tried software updating as it is stuck on a pretty old version of software but it won't even give me the option to do so...

41 REPLIES 41

Thank you for your note

However, I fear you may have entirely missed the point, with your boiler plate reply.

When i signed up for an HTC handset, there was nothing to indicate that it would need to be replaced every 6 weeks because of it's, now clearly visisble, inherent flaws. Such flaws were not mentioned in the advertising, albeit your call centre staff seem well aware of them - both acknowledging a common manufactuing fault that caused the first breakage and then that saying the software issues are very common on these HTC phones and probably arise because HTC has not issued a software update for a very long time.

It now seems that, however much of a pup i was sold, you tell me that all i can do is continue to regularly send it back and have it mended/replaced. May i have a refund on the subscription for those periods when it is out of service? That would seem fair wouldn't it?

@matt_085

You’ve just been incredibly unlucky.

There are no known issues with the HTC mini 2, despite what you’ve been told.

You’ll not be entitled to a refund for your line rental, as the SIM is working ok. You’ll be able to use the service, in its entirety, if you put the SIM into another phone.

Please let us know how you get on when the phone comes back from being repaired.

In the past fortnight I've had to;

- Return one HTC mini 2 with software errors your support team couldn't resolve.

- Return the replacement HTC mini 2 as it wouldn't boot.

Was I unlucky too?

Thank you, i will certainly let you know if (or based on my experience so far, when) it breaks again.

In the meantime, in respect of your assertion there are no known issues with the HTC One Mini 2 handset, what data are you using to support that? Perhaps you could provide a summary of it here (did you have reference to return rates against peers, for example?) so i can be content that i am just very unlucky. Many thanks.

NB was slightly amused by the suggestion that your customers should purchase a second phone to cover the times when the one that is purchased from Vodafone breaks down. I won't ask if that is official advice!

matt_085
4: Newbie
Wayne, I haven't heard from you on the data to back up your assertion that there are no known issues with these handsets.
I have noticed a number of other threads on this site discussing exactly the faults I have had. I really would like some data on this please.

Christopsam

I am now on my 3rd HTC mini 2 handset (not even 6 months into contract) having experienced similar problems to you all, settings icon disapperared, no alarm, location, play services error messages, HTC sense and etc etc and then Vodafone repair centre replacing the phone. I have had the current one for a week. As soon as I set this one up it had an error message 'Messages has stopped unexpectedly....' My messages still seem to work and I haven't done a factoryreset yet. I now have no confidence in the handset whatsoever and I am just waiting for it to breakdown, just like the other handsets. I do not put a lot of data or apps on it due to it being so unreliable and losing some data everytime I get a new handset. There clearly are some issues with this handset and I'm hoping that when this breaks Vodafone will do the decent thing and let me have a handset from another manufacturer (btw I am not new to HTC previously having a Desire and One SV which were totally fine)

matt_085
4: Newbie
Don't hold your breath waiting for a different handset! All Vodafone will do is make , as yet unevidenced , assertions that there are no issues...

Same with me.  Had significant issues since July 2015, factory reset on first one, which then went off to repair a while after, couldnt be repaired, so got another which failed after 4 days, went to the repair centre, couldnt be repaired, just got my 3rd 'new' HTC, Vodaphone are not replying to emails (in fact they have deleted 3 I had on my account), the last being about this HTC phone!  All in all had this contract since Feb 2015, so I have got another 18 months with the liklihood of having to change the phone every few weeks, thanks alot Vodaphone/HTC.

PHG

Has Vodafone offered a better solution to this aside from the broken record response of "send it off to repair"? 

I too am having the same recurrent issues and am on my 3rd handset in 6 months.  Each time I send it off to repair they are in fact unable to do so and give me a new handset instead.  What is the point in repeating the process when the outcome is known and the error messages, if anything, are getting worse? 75% of the pay monthly bill is towards paying off the handset - are Vodafone going to compensate for the time the phone has been in repair, repeatedly, for a KNOWN issue? 

A serious service provider would offer the option of changing to a different phone entirely. How can you say to people with a straight face that it is not a known issue with the HTC software?

ChazzD
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@PHG

As Wayne mentioned previously in the thread, there are no known issues with the HTC mini 2. You can contact HTC directly for a second opinion on this.

All we'll be able to do is to send it off for repair again if you're still experiencing the same problems with the handset.