Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

HTC mini 2 - always breaking

cascar
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I changed to the HTC one mini 2 in late November 2014. By January 2015 it was constantly coming up with error messages and freezing on the start up screen and had been back to the vodafone shop at least 3 times to be fixed. It finally got sent away and i was sent a replacement phone. A month later, this phone begins to play up as well and have been in the vodafone shop 3 or 4 more times, and was in the shop today as i can no longer sync any of my accounts meaning i have no contacts in my phone or anything else. And some of my apps have stopped working or disappeared all together, including my clock, internet and calender. When i went in, i was told to come on this and see if i can get any answers and that i should be able to switch phones to a toatlly different brand/model as this one is proving to be utterly useless and unfunctional. It's really infuriating as i have had this phone for around 6 or 7 months and has been in repairs for a whole month and problematic or unfunctional for at least 2-3 months. Also, have tried software updating as it is stuck on a pretty old version of software but it won't even give me the option to do so...

41 REPLIES 41

drey_p
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

The one thing to realise is a pretty basic phone, and doesn't necessarily have the hugest amount of storage. 

How much space do you have available on the handset - if you are running out of space, it can cause the phone to behave strangely, and you will also not be able to upgrade it to the newer version of the firmware.

Have you performed a factory reset on the device at all, if so, does it resolve the issue?

PWIAC

thesoupdragon
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

The HTC One mini 2 has quite reasonable specs tbh HERE

I note that you had a replacement phone that worked for approx' a month before it to started to fail.

It is reasonable to suspect one of the Apps that you have installed could be causing the problem?

Instead of factory resetting the Phone, you could run the HTC One mini 2 in SAFE MODE.

This will work with all standard functions but NONE of the 3rd party apps you have installed will run!

SAFE MODE; allows you to turn on the HTC One mini 2 with third-party apps disabled. Then you can easily remove all apps that may be causing a conflict or software problem.

To turn on safe mode and use it to fix app problems, follow next steps:

1. Remove the battery from the HTC One mini 2.
2. Re-insert the battery.
3. Press and hold the Power key.
4. When you see the HTC One mini 2 screen, release the Power key. Immediately after releasing the Power key, press and hold the Volume down key.
5. Continue to hold the Volume down key until the device finishes restarting.
6. ‘Safe mode’ displays in the lower-left corner. Release the Volume down key when you see ‘Safe Mode.’
7.Uninstall any third-party apps that gave you problems.

Uninstall third party applications
1. From any Home screen, Touch the Menu key.
2. Touch Settings.
3. Touch the Applications manager.
4. Locate and Touch the application you want to delete or uninstall.
Note: Downloaded applications are located in the Download tab.
5. Touch Uninstall.
6. Touch OK .
7. Touch OK again to confirm.

To turn off safe mode, follow next steps:

1. Press and hold the Power key.
2. Touch Power off.
3. Remove the battery.
4. Re-insert the battery.
5. Press the Power key to turn on the HTC One mini 2, but do not touch any keys during the restart.

Let us know how you get on :smileywink:

TSD.

Hi

I would suggest approaching the manufacturer for assistance via their UK support site http://www.htc.com/uk/support/

They in my experience would know their hardware and software better than the 3rd party repair centre Vodafone would send the handset to. Tbh these 3rd party centres would typically just update the firmware or refresh it.

Unfortunately the handset wouldn't be replaced by Vodafone unless that model was discontinued and no longer available under insurance ,but another alternative would be to sell the phone once it's ok and use the funds to perhaps purchase another phone if you've lost confidence in your current model. Just a thought.

I wish you well.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

1. Remove the battery from the HTC One mini 2.
2. Re-insert the battery.

Right... this could be tricky, since the HTC One Mini 2 doesn't have a removable battery (as it says in the link you posted).

Yes Cascar - mine too.  One trip to HTC for repair when 'Settings' dissapeared completely and it wouldn't allow factroy reset.

Two factory resets since, and now it coming up with big bad errors that keep stacking up so fast that I can not take control of the phone.  And it will not factory reset again, so it is off to HTC repair again... I haven't even had the thing six months.

This is my fourth HTC which up until now I have adored, but I have lost faith completely in the brand and stuck with the sodding thing for another 18 months...  It seems to be a recurring issue with others too, I am going to see if Vodafone will replace it with something that is reliable I suggest that you do the same, and good luck.

matt_085
4: Newbie

it sounds familiar, my One Mini 2 handset has broken down with software problems 4 times in the last 6 months. The pattern is the same, it slows down, then starts to gets very, very hot during normal use and within a week it starts sending numerous error messages and then very shortly afterwards gives up completely. I don't put lots of Apps on them - but it just seems inadequate for day to day use. It's clearly much less capable than the original HTC One - that phone was great - and sadly has destroyed the One brand as far as i'm concerned.

@matt_085

I’m sorry to hear of the problems you’re having with your phone.

If you haven’t already, you’ll need to send it away for repair.

To find out what you need to do in order to get this sorted, take a look at our Vodafone repairs thread.

Thanks,

But it's been replaced 3 times and now Vodafone have offerred a fourth replacement. I have pointed out that i don't want yet another phone that will break in a few weeks. But that cuts no ice and they won't offer an equivalent replacement

So, it seems I am stuck with it.

I am considering running a sweepstake about how many replacements i will have to be sent until my contract expires in 18 months time. I am guessing it will be 12 at the current rate.

I conclude that this HTC handset model is substandard and Vodafone are disinterested in providing reliable handsets.

Sukhi
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@matt_085

You'll need to arrange another warranty repair.

If we're unable to repair it we'll exchange it for you.