Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

HTC mini 2 - always breaking

cascar
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I changed to the HTC one mini 2 in late November 2014. By January 2015 it was constantly coming up with error messages and freezing on the start up screen and had been back to the vodafone shop at least 3 times to be fixed. It finally got sent away and i was sent a replacement phone. A month later, this phone begins to play up as well and have been in the vodafone shop 3 or 4 more times, and was in the shop today as i can no longer sync any of my accounts meaning i have no contacts in my phone or anything else. And some of my apps have stopped working or disappeared all together, including my clock, internet and calender. When i went in, i was told to come on this and see if i can get any answers and that i should be able to switch phones to a toatlly different brand/model as this one is proving to be utterly useless and unfunctional. It's really infuriating as i have had this phone for around 6 or 7 months and has been in repairs for a whole month and problematic or unfunctional for at least 2-3 months. Also, have tried software updating as it is stuck on a pretty old version of software but it won't even give me the option to do so...

41 REPLIES 41

matt_085
4: Newbie
ChazzD, you are really suggesting we contact the manufacturer and ask them if their phones are any good and expect a balanced response? In the meantime you are asserting there are no known issues, but haven't told us what the basis of your opinion is. What data or evidence did you look at before stating that?

Chazz, the manager at your Canary Wharf store categorically told me "there are known issues with this specific model of HTC".  He went on to say "there is no process for us to replace your phone as it has never happened before, that a particular model of phone has these recurring issues".  So I'm afraid its not good enough for you to tell me the opposite.  Just because you keep repeating it does not make it true.  There ARE known issues with this phone, only Vodafone have not got their act together to offer a consistent solution to its customers. It is not right, or indeed efficient, to expect each individual user to contact HTC directly to complain.  We purchased the phones from Vodafone and so Vodafone should take it up with HTC while putting their customers in the position the signed up to be in - namely having a working phone for the duration of their contract.

Just to reiterate, every time I send it to repair I am given a new handset as they are unable to repair the previous one so I have experienced the same problems with 3 different handsets so far this year.  Hhow can you claim there are no issues with this model?  The evidence suggests otherwise, Vodafone are just unable or unwilling to take responsibility.  I will be escalating this issue because the customer service - in sotre, on the phone and on the online chat  - has been nothing short of appalling.

My 3rd HTC One mini 2 has just gone back for 'repair' on Tuesday.  Letter has been sent to Vodaphone Newbury about this insane situation.  I have nearly 18 months left on my contract, so at current rate I have some 36 more trips to the local Vodaphone store to look forward to as my latest phone is not working !!!  Does not make sense...........  Each time restoring my data, apps etc takes time, Vodaphone do not seem to appreciate anything............Their robots are only scripted to send phone for repair, issue me with a temp replacement phone, get phone back......  As for anything you can try online/by phone, all of this is not effective

Just some quotes from another string about the HTC One Mini 2 on this site - a theme of consistent software failures. But its ok though, as we're assured there are "no known issues". I am sure Volkswagen said the same about their emmission cheats too.

"My phone ran out of charge so i charged it up, yet when i turned my phone on and unlocked it an error message appeared "Com.anrdroid.phone has stopped working" or something along those lines, i clicked send error report, sent it, and the same message popped up again. evertime i exit the message, it pops up again. Also Google play pops up with an error message saying it has stopped working, i have no signal/network and i dont know what to do. I have only had my phone for a few months, i think this is an outrage"

"Hi, I've had the same problem with my HTC One Mini 2 & it's not even been a month of me keeping the phone! I tried factory resetting the phone through settings, but dialogue boxes just kept opening up! I then tried the volume down and power button, but it just said "press and hold the volume down and power button to restart" It does not factory reset my phone! Need help urgently, can't live without my phone! "

"I have had my HTC One Mini 2 about a month and so far I have lost the internet (the one that links with twitter and Instagram) and have had to resort to using Google Chrome. I must have had 50 various error reports to send to HTC but nothing has changed. Now all my widgets have gone so no clock on the home screen with the weather and its nowhere to be seen on the device, i have tried closing phone down and restarting. If I had the choice (please advise if I do) I would hand this phone back for a different make. Totally put me off HTC"

"Hi, I've had these for the last 3 months. Performed factory reset etc. Works fine then a few weeks later all goes wrong again. Very frustrating. Did anyone have any help with this?"

"My HTC one mini 2 does the exact same thing every 2 months, some times sooner. It did it again today. Messages, email wont open, it says "messages has stopped unexpectedly......", it deleted whatsapp off my phone completely and I cant change any settings or install whatapp again. i am busy copying photos off now to do yet another factory restore, but its only counting the weeks until it happens again. Seeing as this seems to be a common fault is there no know cause or solution? Do I have to send it away for repiar or is there a vodafone shop I can take it in to?"

"I bought one of these in Nov 2014. It had to be returned on Feb 13th 2015 for the same errors and then also on March 8th 2015. On March 21st I was given a replacement phone which of yesterday has again broken with the exact same error. each time my phone was sent for repair i was told that the engineers did not know why it had broken.

I am on my 3rd horrendous courtesy phone supplied by Vodafone however on this occasion i have refused to send my HTC for repair and i am requesting an entirely different mobile device to be supplied by Vodafone as there is clearly a software error with the HTC." 

"it was not an inquiry but a statement to warn other Vodafone customers that this handset is unreliable, will need replaced or repaired every 4-6 weeks and this issue will continue until the warranty runs out 12 months sooner than your contract ends. I have escalated a dispute within the correct team three times now and i am awaiting a response"

@matt_085 @PHG @pauljeff39

I'm sorry to hear you're still experiencing problems with this device. 

We're happy to take a further look at the devices in our repair centre, any alternative options may be advised by them.

You don't have to go to the manufacturer, but it is an option should you choose to exercise this right.

Thanks for you message Eric but I'm afraid this is not good enough.  I have once again received a new handset as the repair centre were unable to repair the phone.  What I want to exercise is my right under the Sale of Goods Act (now amended to the Consumer Rights Act) which entitles me to compensation or a refund for an unfit for purpose product.  Repeated attempts to repair this phone have been fruitless and, each time, a like for like replacement is handed to me.  My rights as a consumer entitle me to a working handset (and, strictly speaking, a refund for the amount I have paid to date for the numerous faulty handsets).  Someon in Vodafone should take ownership of this issue and offer a workable solution. Please do not continue to respond with the same, pointless advice about the repair centre. I am escalating this matter to the relevant regulatory bodies as clearly nobody in Vodafone is able or willing to do anything about it.

pauljeff39
3: Seeker
3: Seeker
Yesterday I got my fourth HTC one mini 2, the three previous all were 'unable to repair'. Vodafone Newbury should be replying to my complaint in the next few days I understand.

I got my HTC One mini 2 last november. Within first few weeks errors popped up and returned to Vodafone store, where they managed a factory reset. Every couple of weeks errors and missing/unusable apps were a common theme. Until the error messages took over and I was unable to do a factory reset. However, due to work commitments, it was usually 5-6 days til I was able to take to store. Occasionally after a few days, the phone managed to reset itself. Not without me being without phone for days. But eventually it didn't. Then took it into Vodafone store where they'd replaced it. However, issues started happening again and again. Same happened to that phone. Replaced that. Phone number 3, exactly the same. Currently having to go back with this phone, to get it replaced. Even though this one is only actually 2 weeks old.

I'm not quite sure how there is no known fault to Vodafone about this phone, as there clearly is with repeated people having the same issue.

Oh well, i'm sure the lovely lady in the shop will be looking forward to seeing me... again.

I just want to let other HTC One mini 2 users know that - after much insistence, complaints via various channels and an email to the CEO - I have finally been contacted by someone from the Customer Relations team. They have assured me that next time this phone breaks (since I have just now received yet another new replacement) they will allow me to replace it for a different make and model of the same value.  They have put a detailed note on my file to that effect.  Obviously I cannot test this until the phone breaks again - which we know it will - but I suggest you contact this team on 03333044767 and demand the same. 

Despite what the reps on this chat say, there IS an issue with this phone, the tech team and the people in store know about it and, from my experience, are pretty embarassed when they have to tell customers there is no process for addressing it.

Hopefully the promise made to me by Customer Relations is an honest one and you can demand the same. How Vodafone go about sorting out their Customer Services and customer experience...? That is another matter because, as it stands, it falls short of the lowest of low expectations.