Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

HTC one M8 issue after Marshmallow update

raytrow
2: Seeker

I updated my HTC one M8 yesterday with Marshmallow and the phone has contiinuously turned itself on and off since. It ran out of battery and once it was plugged back in it continued with turning itself on and off again. I cannot gain access at all to the phone. Please help

7 REPLIES 7

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hello @raytrow

A Warm welcome to the eforum. 

Im sorry to hear your having some glitches with your phone after the firmware update. 

Its generally recommended to perform a Factory Reset which is carried out via the phones Settings. 

Or alternatively a Hard Reset. 

"How to factory reset the HTC One M8 using the hardware buttons
If your HTC One isn’t booting, you can’t access the settings or you just really like buttons, you can factory reset your HTC using the following steps:

Press and hold the Volume Down button and then press and hold the Power button.

Wait for the screen with three Android images to appear. Release the buttons.

Using the Volume Down key to navigate, select Factory Reset. Use the Power button to confirm your selection."

Because both these processes clear the phones internal memory of saved data / contacts its recommended to carry out a back up to preserve this. Contacts can be saved in Gmail as an example. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

raytrow
Hi, Firstly thankyou for the advice, its appreciated. I have carried out the reset process. The phone started updating again and after finishing went straight back to turning itself on and off again like before. It seems that the factory reset is not working. Any further advice would be appreciated.

BandOfBrothers

@raytrow wrote:
Hi, Firstly thankyou for the advice, its appreciated. I have carried out the reset process. The phone started updating again and after finishing went straight back to turning itself on and off again like before. It seems that the factory reset is not working. Any further advice would be appreciated.

You're very welcome. 

Personally i would try a Reset Again and then if the phone continues to not behave then seek assistance via the HTC Uk Support site here HTC Uk support

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Great advice from @63johnw and @BandOfBrothers I can't add anything to their comments. :smileyhappy:

Just to add some extra advice;

• HTC-UK recommend that you have a "Strong" Wifi connection when updating Over the Air (OTA)
  • Your device should have at least 60% battery capacity available prior to updating. However this main OS update is very large, I would recommend keeping the Phone plugged into a wall charger.

The HTC repair service is excellent, I've used it recently myself. I highly recommend it.

Vodafone can also fix this for you. Some people prefer to use them...

TSD :smileywink:

63johnw
Hi, how old is your phone? It sounds like its going to need a repair to me, you can do this through Vodafone but I would be tempted to contact HTC direct, the manufacturers have a lot more scope when it comes to repairs and replacements. If its under 24 months it should still be under warranty.

raytrow
Hi. My phone is 17 months old so obviously still within the 2 years. I will contact HTC for some advice and will post their reply. Many thanks.

63johnw
Please do.