Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

HTC one S drops network

Hippytitimus
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I have been a customer of Vodafone for some 20 years but having read the number of problems people are having with the HTC one S phones on the Vodafone network, and the possible excuses/reasons for the loss of the network being a "faulty" phone, all I can say, to add to the masses who have the problem, is that I too have the problem with network loss, and the only way I can get it back is by either turning the phone off and back on, or by turning "aircraft" mode on then off, and wait for the "preparing sim" message. this only works for a short time before the network is lost again. I dont have any signal problems with other phones on Vodafone, i.e. sony experia, iphone, samsung, or nokia, or do I have any network drops using the HTC one S phone on other networks, in fact it works fine on Orange, GiffGaff, O2, Three or even Virgin, I just have problems when using it on Vodafone. I think the "Faulty Phone" answer has been shot out of the water, methinks its time for Vodafone to sort this problem out.

7 REPLIES 7

Retired-Sarah
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @Hippytitimus 

Welcome to the eForum.

Please take a look at our phone troubleshooting guide, for further help.

You can also find our Repair information available.

Thanks,

Sarah

Thank you for the reply but as expected, I get the "its a faulty phone" answer. Unfortunatley it is not. The phone works perfectly on most other networks that I have tried WITHOUT dropping. So please answer the question, Why is it that there are so many people with HTC phones having problems with network drop on Vodafone? Surly they cant all be "Phone" problems? Also giving the details where my phone can be repaired, which in my opinion is unnessarry as it works fine when not on Vodafone, looks to me like another money maker for Vodafone. After a full factory reset, updating to the latest OS available, and double checking all the available settings comply with the Vodafone network, it looks like it will either end up connected to another network or eBay. Pity, its a nice phone that I would have prefered to be able to use on Vodafone. I have been a customer for some 20 + years and have always received an excelent service that I expect to continue, but I would warn any new customers thinking of using Vodafone to definatly not use HTC phones because problems with them just outweighs any happy HTC users. 

Just an update. I have today tried the HTC one S phone on the GiffGaff (O2) network and taken it to where I knew I would have little or no signal at all, it worked perfectly and even when I lost the signal, it came back as soon as it was available without any messing about turning it off and back on, I didnt have any problem with network drop. I then turned it off and swapped the sim for my vodafone one, then did a full factory reset, checked all the vodafone settings, and guess what? yes it dropped the network after 5 mins, putting the GiffGaff sim back in and factory reset again and I had no further drops. I think this now proves that it is definitely a problem with vodafone network and HTC phones. I now hope that the Vodafone Tech team start looking for the problem between HTC and the Vodafone network, instead of reading from cue cards at possible faults.

Hi @Hippytitimus 

So one of the network guys in my team can check the sites in your area, please post step 6 from our network troubleshooting guide.

Thanks,

Gemma

In answer to your reply the problem of network drop can happen in any location but I have tested it in the CH49 and all the way to the LL21 area, that doesnt matter as it will drop anytime. As far as regaining the network, the only way is either to turn the phone off and back on, or sometimes by selecting aircraft mode on/off it will find the network again, but only to lose it within a short time again making my HTC phone totally unusable on Vodafone. The problem can happen at any time of day or night whether 2G or 3G, now warnings are given. I have also tested this phone on the GiffGaff (O2) network and the Orange network in the same locations without any network loss or signal problems, so obviously its not a fault with the phone. I do however make sure that the phone is reset to factory settings before swopping sims, and do double check the vodafone settings. The other reason I look at this being a Vodafone problem, is because of the number of HTC phone users that are having network drop on Vodafone, you only have to look on this forum or in fact just use Google and it will give you some idea to the size of the HTC/Vodafone problem. Just to finish off I have also tried an iphone 4s, Sony Experia M, Nokia ?(so old the names rubbed off) and Samsung Wave and tocca, in all of the above locations using the Vodafone network without a problem, HTC say its not the phone its Vodafone.

Hi @Hippytitimus 

As you've tried a factory reset previously, following our repair process would be the best option. Please follow the link for further details.

Thanks,

Jamian

Well thank you for the reply, but as I have stated in all my posts is the fact that the phone works perfectly on all the other networks I have tried. ie Orange, Giffgaff, TMobile. It does not drop the network on any of them, it does not drop calls or give any of the problems that I get when using the Vodafone network. So, please tell me how it can be a problem with the phone, that you want me to send to you for repair, that will also cost me money when it would be just easier for me to change networks and forget Vodafone on any HTC phone. It really isnt just my HTC phone that has this problem, there are hundreds, and telling them all to send their phones for repair would no doubt be good for Vodafone profits but not that good for finding the fault that is making HTC phones incompatible with the Vodafone network. To close, and if you have no further useful suggestions, I will change my network for the HTC phone to one that give not problems, I will still be using Vodafone on the 2 contracts I have running, but I think for the PAYG phones I have in use and the ones I supply for other people will not be on Vodafone in future. A great service when everthing is working well, but I think any faults are a different story and revert back to the "make more money syndrome".