Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

HTC one, sluggish texting after patch

Tidgy
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

So had a system update run two weeks ago. Since then the text message app has been mega laggy. Typing text out is laggs with the displaying whats been typed, i click reply and if i dont wait to make sure it has brought up the contacts number it creat a new blank contact text message.

Anyone else had anything like this?

22 REPLIES 22

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Tidgy,

For more information regarding firmware, please see here.

Thanks,

Gemma

So you break peoples phones and won't discuss the issue?

Not realy good customer service that is it.

Retired-Matt_B
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Tidgy,

It's worth noting with any phone update, it's always best to do a factory restore anyhow.

This ensures that any old coding is removed fully and this stops any little bugs causing performance issues.

Thanks,

Matt B

I'm also seeing very sluggish texts to the point that it crashes out and offers to send a report to HTC. (which I send). 

Did the original upgrade OTA that was pushed out, but I did 'not' at any stage configure RCS. Disabled it as well, but I'm still getting regular reminders about it and that it needs to update. 

I might just take the plunge and let it upgrade, configure and see what happens. But if the battery life starts to suffer as much as other people in other forums are saying then I'll be rooting the phone and sticking a different rom on there. 

SInce latest patch battery life and responce has been considerably better, instead of charging every day its now back to every 2-3 days. Give it a go and see what it does mate.

@Matt_B wrote:

Hi Tidgy,

It's worth noting with any phone update, it's always best to do a factory restore anyhow.

This ensures that any old coding is removed fully and this stops any little bugs causing performance issues.

Thanks,

Matt B

Doesn't a factory restore delete all the apps you've put on your phone and don't you lose all your information/texts/notes/photo's etc. etc?

I don't want to keep having to update my phone and then re-install all my apps - it's ridiculous!

thesoupdragon
17: Community Champion
Normally the update process is seamless and the phone continues as if nothing has happened.
However on some occasions things don't go as expected.
In those circumstances past experience has led us all to believe that a Factory Reset, is the best way to "fix" issues.

If your google account and HTC accounts are synced properly, the reset is pretty painless. You do need to make sure you have backed up important stuff you can't afford to lose.
Apps will reload automatically but their data won't. (game saves etc.)

@thesoupdragon wrote:

If your google account and HTC accounts are synced properly, the reset is pretty painless. You do need to make sure you have backed up important stuff you can't afford to lose.
Apps will reload automatically but their data won't. (game saves etc.)

Any info on how to set up these links?

I've tried to avoid any links at all to Vodafone but it looks like I'm going to have to link some accounts to my Vodafone equipment, unfortunately......at least until I can get out of my contract!

hrym

Unless you want to use Vodafone's cloud service, there's not much (apart from the basic operation of the phone) that you need to "link" to Vodafone.   Your device will sync your contacts and calendar with Google as long as you signed into your account when you set it up - it's hard to do anything else.

HTC have various things you can sign into, but HTC backup is the obvious one.  This replaces the fairly basic backup that Google does and includes quite a lot more information.   It implies that it includes app settings as well, for instance.

Does HTC backup save all my text messages - I have important information in them?

There is no way on gods earth that I am going to use anything more from Vodafone than I absolutely have to so 'no', I'm not going to use their cloud service!