You are here:
Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
ciapster

Htc Trophy Update

I've heard that first update for Windows Phone 7 devices is ready My question is when it will be available for Vodafone customers .Hopefully you won't have delays like O2 Used to have. Thank You
Message 1 of 13 (5,766 Views)
Rank 5: Regular Poster
Martincrosbie

Re: Htc Trophy Update

The update has nothing to do with vodafone. it is distributed directly by microsoft. your phone will tell you when it's available.

Windows Phone 7 is not subject to the same update methodology as previous incarnations, and android, which required updates to be packaged into a complete new build of the firmware, and not only needed massive amounts of effort on the parts of the OEM to build (and hence were rare), but since the carriers had invested a lot of time and money ruining the update with bloatware and pointless branding, which also had to be repackaged into a new build just for their customers, they became rarer. Microsoft therefore stopped carriers making any changes to the firmware, and centralised updates largely independantly of the OEM. Tis is why we bought Windows Phone 7.

You will get the update when Microsoft issue it - not everybody gets it a once, as with any other update services, they are phased out to customers to spread the load. as soon as it's available to you your phone will tell you. it's possible you might get it earlier than scheduled by selecting the check for 'update' option within zune, but it's best to let it happen naturally. Not that the currently available update is not the main NoDo update promised, but a small tweak to the update infrastructure to enable better deployment of that update, and it's reportedly had some issues with the samsungs it was deployed to first.

Message 2 of 13 (5,709 Views)
gjmartin

We are reliant on Vodafone for the update; the mobile operators can delay or block one update in two.  So Vodafone could block this update, and then allow the NoDo update in March.  Or the other way round allow this one and block the next.

It would be great if somebody from Vodafone could confirm whether they will be allowing the current MS update to come through, as people that have received it, and still had working devices after, report that their phones seem snappier then before.

Message 3 of 13 (5,669 Views)
Rank 21: Instructor V
EddyOS

[ Edited ]

No they can't, it's like the iPhone. Apple decide when you get the update. Same with WP7

What you're suggesting is they control the update even when on non-Vodafone Wi-Fi - which is just absurd

HTC One X (S720e)
ROM: 3.14.401.31 (JRO03C)
HBOOT: 1.39.0000 | Recovery: Stock
Radio: 5.1204.162.29 | Kernel: Stock
Message 4 of 13 (5,656 Views)
gjmartin

The update does not come down over Wi-Fi, you need to do it through the Zune client, like Apple with the iPhone & iTunes.  But your phone is identifed as a Vodafone UK device, or an O2 device, or whichever network you bought it from, unless you bought a generic sim-free unit.  The generic sim-free units will get the update as soon as MS release it, other mobile operator devices will get the update when the operator decides.  That could be a day after MS release or a week, etc.  This is to allow them to test the patch before general release to their customers.

It states all this quite clearly on the Questions and Answers that MS has just released on their blog;

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_phone/b/windowsphone/archive/2011/02/23/more-answers-about-our-fi...

Message 5 of 13 (5,637 Views)
EddyOS

[ Edited ]

Fair enough, wasn't aware of that. Sucks seeing as SIM-free handsets aren't really about yet

Why can't operators just leave phones alone - if they want to release an app for those who want it then fair enough

HTC One X (S720e)
Message 6 of 13 (5,623 Views)
gjmartin

Yeah, I was a bit annoyed when I found out. I'm investigating if it is possible to debrand the handset at the moment, although I know it will void the warranty.
Message 7 of 13 (5,609 Views)
EddyOS

There are links on XDA to do it so I assume it can be done
HTC One X (S720e)
Message 8 of 13 (5,583 Views)
ciapster

I think Microsoft is testing this update again ,because o problems witk Samsung Omnia 7 and that's why it is not available ,but I can wait .My biggest hope is that  future updates will make WP more "open " for 3rd party apps.

Message 9 of 13 (5,565 Views)
Rank 5: Regular Poster
Martincrosbie

You can't 'de-brand' the handset. there is no branding to remove. This was quite deliberate since carrier ROMs and bloatware crippled so many windows mobile devices. The carrier and OEM can select several apps to be pre-installed. these can be removed as easily as every other app with no problems. the closest thing to carrier or OEM branding is access to the carrier or OEM's marketplace area, from where you can re-install the pre-installed apps, or access others that may be offered later. (LG has shown a pretty good commitment here). Beyond that the only other branding I can find is the network ID, which is kinda needed.

Message 10 of 13 (5,284 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
David

Hello,

A new maintenance release for the HTC 7 Trophy is now available. This is a Microsoft Windows Phone 7 platform update which introduces a background back up and restore function as preparation for future platform updates. There are no manufacturer specific changes or fixes included in this update.

How will you get the latest software?

You will have to get this manually and you can do this by connecting the handset to your computer via USB and then opening the Zune application. You will be prompted that an update is available and presented with some onscreen instructions which you should follow to complete the update.

How do you check the software version?

To check which version of software you have on your handset you will need to follow the below steps from the home screen:

1. Go to Settings

2. Select About

3. Select More Information

4. OS Version

The new OS version will show as 7.0.7008.0

Thanks

David

eForum Team

Message 11 of 13 (5,112 Views)
tongpo

you will not be able to update you will just get error code 801811A5 as microsoft are having problems with first update and have switched it off on there server till it is sorted out

Message 12 of 13 (5,035 Views)
Rank 3: Occasional Poster
AndyD1970

Downloaded mine ok yesterday!

Message 13 of 13 (5,030 Views)