You are here:

HTC

Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
RogerStenning
Accepted Solution

Irritating volume feature in ICS/Sensation

[ Edited ]

Since upgrading to ICS on my Sensation, I've noticed that the notification volume and ringer volume, previously unlinked, are now irrevocably linked to each other. This is exceedingly irritating - Is there an update on the way to de-link these two volumes, or maybe a free package to do the job without a firmware update?

Message 1 of 19 (8,423 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
James

Re: Irritating volume feature in ICS/Sensation

Hi RogerStenning,

I have just answered a similar query here regarding volume and have found an app that allows you to change certain volumes to what you need.

Give it a go and let me know how you get on.

James

If you have any comments regarding how I have handled your query today, please complete our short feedback survey.

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 2 of 19 (8,414 Views)
RogerStenning

Thanks. Downloaded, will let you know how I get on with it.

Roger.

Message 3 of 19 (8,409 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
sbrk

the 'unlink notification volume from ringer volume' setting is greyed out for me in audiomanager. Vodafone folks, has the notification vol issue been fed back to HTC? I can understand them wanting to simplify their bloated ui but surely not at the expense of useful functionality!

sbrk
Message 4 of 19 (8,389 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
sbrk

audio manager won't unlink notification vol from ringer for me. Vodafone, can you feed the volume annoyance back to HTC please? now I'm all for them simplifying their bloated ui but not at the expense of needed functionality!
Message 5 of 19 (8,387 Views)
RogerStenning

Agreed; Volume manager is a free application, and does not provide unlinking of the ringer and notification volume levels - this is a feature that is apparently only available from the paid-for version. Given that these applications seem to be able to provide separate ringer and notification volume level controls, I would say it's safe to assume that HTC have not removed the controls in the operating system, merely hidden them from the view of the consumer. With this in mind, I would also second sbrk's request that you ask HTC to resolve this frankly stupid linkage of ringer and notification volumes. This 'feature' is spoiling what is otherwise a very good smartphone, and needs to be resolved asap.
Message 6 of 19 (8,377 Views)
Tech Team
Simon

Hi sbrk and RogerStenning

Thanks for coming back to us. I've forwarded the details onto to our device teams to see if this can be raised with the manufacturer directly.

I can understand why you would feel that this is frustrating, especially as the functionality has always been there previously.

Thanks

Simon

Message 7 of 19 (8,344 Views)
Rank 21: Instructor V
EddyOS

Guys, this is not something for HTC to deal with - Google themselves have changed ICS to have them permanently linked together

Complain to Google
HTC One X (S720e)
ROM: 3.14.401.31 (JRO03C)
HBOOT: 1.39.0000 | Recovery: Stock
Radio: 5.1204.162.29 | Kernel: Stock
Message 8 of 19 (8,342 Views)
RogerStenning

[ Edited ]

Editied re reply above.

OK, so if HTC aren't responsible for this, how come no-one noticed this damnably stupid 'feature' before? And who at Google do we complain to, and are we likely to get any meaningful result?

Message 9 of 19 (8,339 Views)
EddyOS

No idea on who to complain to, but I first noticed it on my Galaxy Nexus...not a big issue for me as I have all my volumes the same unless at night when phone is on silent but I know a lot of other users are a tad annoyed
HTC One X (S720e)
Message 10 of 19 (8,335 Views)
RogerStenning

heh. "A tad annoyed". Nicely put. I think it may well be more along the lines of the teddy having already been stomped on the ground and being about ready to launch their phones into low earth orbit from frustration. I'm not too far off that point myself, lol ;-)

Another thought just popped into my noggin - is there anything to stop me installing a custom *silent* ringtone for notifications, and if so, how do I go about it?
Message 11 of 19 (8,332 Views)
EddyOS

Make an MP3 file of silence and then copy it to your SD card and point the phone to it when selecting the alert tone

I think in ICS it's better to put said tone in the 'Notifications' folder that'll be on the SD card
HTC One X (S720e)
Message 12 of 19 (8,330 Views)
RogerStenning

Eddy -

Many thanks. Until Google come to grips with reality on this, I think this'll be the only viable working solution!

Cheers,

Roger
Message 13 of 19 (8,328 Views)
EddyOS

something that may help to an extent is an app I use called AudioGuru - it allows you to set up different volumes but the main ones are linked...might have what you're looking for, though:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jupiterapps.audioguru&hl=en
HTC One X (S720e)
Message 14 of 19 (8,319 Views)
RogerStenning

Eddy -

Thanks for the suggestion; unfortunately, as you said, under ICS the ringer and notification volumes are still linked, so like the other free app suggested above, the problem remains.

The good news is that the silent ringtone for notifications has done the job; I found one on this site - http://www.jetcityorange.com/silent-ringtone/ - and downloaded the ten-second silent MP3 file, placing it in the notifications folder as you suggested; it's worked a treat, so many thanks for the advice on how to do this :smileyhappy:

Cheers,

Roger

Message 15 of 19 (8,316 Views)
j2g
j2g

I've put ICS Enhanced Ringer Control app on my Sensation - it seems to work fine and costs only £1.99 - though I object to having to pay anything just to sort out a Google b....s up

Message 16 of 19 (8,305 Views)
EddyOS

Looks good, that - if a little basic in it's looks. Would be nice for it to be made in the 'Halo' theme Google are wanting people to use
HTC One X (S720e)
Message 17 of 19 (8,286 Views)
j2g
j2g

I'm not too worried so long as it works!  The guy who's written it seems to keen on getting feedback and suggestions for improvements

Message 18 of 19 (8,279 Views)
Rank 4: Established Poster
Sophes

For notification I just switch off the sound-Phone still rings for calls but silient for notifications when I'm at work. Go into the text main screen, press menu, settings, notifications and untick play notification sound. I too find it annoying I cant just turn it down but I'm not going to pay for the app....
Message 19 of 19 (8,210 Views)