cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Is it possible to have a new phone instead of refurb when being repaired?

greyhound82
4: Newbie

Hi,

I'd been using an HTC One M8 for about year without any problems, until 2 weeks ago, when a security update published by Vodafone (for the Android Stagefright bug) completely bricked it.  I took it to the Vodafone store, they sent it away, but it couldn't be repaired and I was given a refurbished unit instead.  Vodafone clearly don't bother checking the refurb units, because it had a loose USB socket and the battery wouldn't charge past 12%.  I took this one back to the store, and I was sent another refurb unit.  This latest one has a problem with the screen, with some rows of pixels appearing at the top instead of the bottom, and sometimes the screen doesn't turn on when I press the power button (or use the motion gestures).

Before I take this back to the store for a 3rd replacement, is anybody from Vodafone able to advise whether I can specify a *new* replacement phone, rather than a refurb?  I have absolutely no confidence now in these refurbished phones, and don't want to go another 8 days or so without a phone only to receive another dud.

Thanks very much,

Graham.

13 REPLIES 13

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi,

The replacement handsets usually are checked and factory wiped before sending out so it does look like you've been extremely unlucky. 

You would need to liaise with Customer Services to ask that very question. We are customers here like you. 

Would you let us know how you get on with your request. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

froggerty
16: Advanced member

Just keep taking it back to the store, eventually they will run out of 'refurbised' ones and give you a new one. They are obliged to supply you a fully working phone in all aspects which has to be fit for purpose. My advice further to this would be to check any phone that the store offers you before accepting it and if you suspect any issues don't accept it.

hrym

I've just checked and the M8 isn't available as a new device from Vodafone.   I therefore doubt that you'll get a new one - and the refurbished ones are likely to be getting on a bit, too.  It would be normal practice, like insurance, to put you back in the position you were before, which is to say: with a phone that's of similar age and condition.  It should work and be fit for purpose, though, and I agree with froggerty's suggestion of going back to the shop until you get something your satisfied with.

You shouldn't have to do this, of course, and it might be worth slipping the phrase "of merchantable quality" into the conversation.   This sounds, and is, legal and I've used it to considerable affect myself in various situations.  Whether you'll persuade anyone to give you a brand new M9 is open to debate, but it might be worth asking for.

I doubt that you can go direct to HTC at this stage but, as the manufacturer, they're more likely to give you a new replacement than any network.

Hi froggerty, it's difficult to judge in the shop whether it's fit for purpose (e.g. can't check whether the battery takes a full charge and lasts as long as it should).

Anyhow I spoke to Vodafone customer services this morning and they've been very good about it all.  Their policy is that you receive three refurbs, then if there are still problems they'll issue a brand new one.  I don't know what the policy is if the model is discontinued like my M8, but perhaps I'll find out next week when refurb number 3 arrives...  In the meantime they've credited me for a basic PAYG phone to tide me over, and are refunding my contract charges for the time I've been without a phone.  So a pretty good response from Vodafone.

Regards,

Graham.

We were posting both at the same time Graham.

Yes, it is a little difficult to establish the battery charge condition but I would expect that a refurbished phone would have been fitted with a new battery as a matter of course. Sounds like you're on to a likeley winner with the response you've had from Vodafone over this issue, let's hope that they do the right thing by you and honour their commitment, just make sure that you insist on getting a replacement from the store rather than Vodafone sending you one, if sending one is what they suggest.

hrym

@greyhound82 wrote:
Their policy is that you receive three refurbs, then if there are still problems they'll issue a brand new one.

That's interesting.  I know some networks have a 3 tries then replacement policy, but Vodafone have never confirmed that they do.   I always understodo it to be "replacement if we can't repair", which is similar, but more open-ended.   It'll be interesting to see what you're offered.   It may be something in the same price bracket (as was).  If that's not satisfactory, push for something with similar facilities, resources etc.  ie: an M9 :smileywink:

I noticed there is an HTC One M8S model available.  If they do offer me a new phone then I suspect it would be that, rather than an M9.  Either way I'll post an update next week after I get the next refurb, it might be useful to others having phone replacement issues.

froggerty

With none being available new you may be offered, as a resolution to the situation, an 'equivalent' phone which may be an entirely different brand but even then it would be up to you to determine if what may be offered will be acceptable in both financial value and specification compared to your present phone. Whatever may be offered I would still thourougly check it out before you accept anything and particularly ask if any warrantee is with it, it should carry a 3 month warrantee at the minimum.

BandOfBrothers
Thank you.

If the model a person has is discontinued and no refurbs are available then a Network normally offer a choice of phones that are similar in spec.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.