Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

M8 camera lens scratch problem

nops
4: Newbie

Hi All, 

Just thought I would post my comments about the HTC M8 that I got on the Vodafone network (I love the phone and the 4G speeds and the free boombass was the icing on the cake!)

It seems that there is a slight manufactring flaw in the camera lens fitting on some of the M8 devices. The lens cover is easily prone to hazing up and as a result the camera starts taking poor quality pictures. After a bit of reearch, i found numerous forum articles about others having the same problem. 

Thankfully its fixed very easily. Step by step instructions in this video 

http://youtu.be/09k9t3Y2BJg

18 REPLIES 18

Hi @InderjitNijjer

You can get a second opinion from the manufacturer.

Thanks,

Gemma

thesoupdragon
17: Community Champion

I've had this exact issue with my M8 as well. Just like the picture posted a few posts above this one.

I can confirm that using toothpaste as a cleaning compound DOES INDEED work!

It took me about 60 seconds to remove the scratch like marks from the lens. I used a lens (spectacle) cloth and a small dab of toothpaste.

I'm not convinced it is actually scratches, it looked like some sort of protective coating had worn off? I can't confirm that though. :smileyhappy:

I have a similar problem where the lens cover has cracked. Again doing a search on the internet, this seems to be a common fault. Can someone from vodafone advise me what can be done. I have had the phone maybe two months.
I have included a photo. I am really careful with my phone, no knocks, drops or even put in a pocket with keys or money

thesoupdragon

Hi cwmparc,

Damage to a Phone isn't usually covered under a Manufacturers Warranty. This will be seen as an "out of Warranty" repair and I would expect you will have to pay for the part and labour?

You could contact HTC directly, put your case to them and see what they say? I suspect they too will offer a paid for repair?

Let us know how you get on?

I don't see why I should pay for a repair, when you google it there seems to be many posts with the same fault/issue.
In my view it's a manufacturing issue

Thanks for the response Dave, im out of my cooling off period but this is the 4th HTC One M8 that i have that has an issue with it, my first one had camera lens scratches after just a week, my 2nd and 3rd both had overheating and power draining issues and now this again with the camera lens after only a few weeks, im pretty disgusted that i have already gone through 4 phones and because of my job and travel i need a working reliable phone and dont have the time to wait up to ten working days to get it back from repair and im paying for this phone and have been paying for broken handsets since i joined vodafone. What are my other options? I had a HTC One M7 which lasted a year and a half with no scratches on the camera lens at all. This is 100% no fault of my phone that this has happened, i take good care of my phone and clean it regularly with a cloth which in turn seems to scratch it more. The rest of the phone is in perfect condition. Please help  -  Scott Rand

thesoupdragon
Your problem will be in proving your point, which is why I said contact HTC and explain the situation. They might do something? I'm just preparing you for the fact that you might have to pay?
Glass falling out, would be considered a manufacturing fault, a crack would imply physical user damage.
You have to remember the person assessing the damage can only react to the evidence in front of them!

LordLanky
6: Helper
6: Helper

Awesome.

I saw YouTube videos for Brasso and an alcohol solution that both appeared to solve this "scratch" problem. 

In event I couldn't find either in the house, so carefully (with earbud) used some nail varnish remover

Took a few mins of gentle rubbing, and the "scratch" has gone!

Spent just as long drying any evidence of the nail varnish remover. 

Looks very clean. 

As an aside I was confused about the marks as my phone is always in a case so whilst exposed the camera lens isn't rubbed against desks and the like.