Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Marshmallow 6.0

Adrianrover75
1: Seeker
Hi,, a have a question, how to upgrade the marshmallow, 6.0 for the htc m8,normal not m8s,in this moment i have a 5.01 lollipop, thanks.
12 REPLIES 12

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi and Welcome to the eforum. 

The phone should perform the update for you when it shows up in the Software Update Section in your phones Settings. You should just need to accept the new software. 

I would suggest creating a back up before carrying out the process of updating firmware and carrying out a reset as described below 

And it's typically recommended that a person carries out a Factory Reset / Hard Reset to move out old redundant files after a firmware update. Especially if you see any follow on glitches / bugs. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

hrym

I've done system updates on two HTC phones without needing a factory reset.   You can maximise the device's resources by clearing recent apps and also restarting before doing the update.  I'm not saying this is guaranteed to work though, so make sure everything's backed up and fully sync'd first.  If you do have to do a factory reset, don't forget to remove the external sd card if you have one as the process can wipe iot, especially if you haev it set as default storage for anything (eg camera).

It's likely that HTCs will get Marshmallow, though the timing may depend on whether yours is unbranded or network-supplied.   At the moment, apps are still catching up, so it's probably not a priority yet.

Ndola19
4: Newbie
Thx bandofbrothers, I never thought about hard resetting the phone before upgrading to new O/s.
This does sound like a good idea to clear all the junk files that are lurking in your phone, which may effect the performance of the new O/s.
Only downside is you may lose all your files. My HTC M8 was set to auto-update daily, yet when I had to hard reset my M8 (as instructed by HTC for an issue I had) my back-ups were never backed-Up. HTC couldn't answer why this and said it was a 'glitche in the system'. So much for backing up with HTC.

Do you know a better app to help me backup my files or do Google offer this? I tempted to do a hard reset having read your comments, but don't want to lose my files... Again.

Thanks, hope you can suggest an alternative.

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Ndola19 - There are third party apps and services you can use, such as Google Drive or Dropbox. You can pick whichever you think will work best for you. :Smiling:

Ndola19
4: Newbie
Thx Jenny for your reply.
I used the app that came with the M8 thinking HTC offered a reliable back-Up app.

I have a Dropbox account, so will now use them, thx.

hrym

HTC backup is easy to use, but it's not entirely clear what it stores.  I suspect it's things like settings and almost certainly not content - you need Google Drive, Dropbox or similar for that.   You could turn HTC backup off and let Google take care of it - again, settings and installed apps only (and not app settings).

The M8 is still on 5.0.1 (I have an unbranded one)

thesoupdragon

If you have Google set up properly to Sync with your Phone it is an easy process to backup your stuff to Google Drive and Google Photos.

There is an auto upload function in Google Photos with unlimited Storage for Photos upto 16mp in size and Video upto 1080p.

Saving to Drive is simple as >Long press >share >Drive...

If you have an external SDcard in the Phone, simply copy everything to that!

MyBackUp+ is great for backing up txts and MMS messages as well as What's App messages too!

The M8 is expected to update to Marshmallow some time in the first quarter of this year but no definite time has been announced yet.

hrym

If you use Google Photos, be aware that it'll upload everything it can find, so set it up when you have plenty of time (and maybe don't need your phone and internet connection for anything else!).  The default setting, if I remember correctly, is for "original quality", which uses your data allowance, so you may want to change it to "high quality", which doesn't.   For general purposes, this seems to be fine.  You can also select which folders you want to sync and also choose whether to restrict upload to wifi only (which may be the default).  To avoid bill shock, make sure this is set for the initial tranche!

To be able to view photos in Google Drive, you need to enable this too, and, again from memory, you need to set this up on the website as well as tick it in the Drive app.

thesoupdragon

Google photos will always ask you if you want to upload a folder that it finds.

The default now is for unlimited uploads at the resolutions I mentioned above.

If you want full resolution you have to choose that setting...

All the uploads will use data from your allowance unless you choose Wi-Fi only!

😉