Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Marshmallow upgrade: niggling problems

Loopylisa71
3: Seeker
I have a HTC M8 & last week upgraded to marshmallow.

Was't impressed at first as loads of little errors but running the phone down and charging from empty resolved most of them.

How's, there are a couple of niggling problems which have persisted and I was hoping someone could help to help me resolve them?

#1: volume drop down bar keeps appearing and won't swipe away. The only way it will disappear is by going to home screen and reentering the app. However a couple of minutes later the same will happen and its now annoying me.

#2: Keyboard response is slow but have changed nothing

#3: When phone is sleeping, it often won't allow me to 'wake it'. It's almost comatose and doesn't respond. I thought maybe the button was on the way out, but most of the time it works OK so can only assume it's an upgrade problem.

If anyone can help I'd appreciate it. Not very savvy when it comes to technology, so please bare with me if I ask 1001 questions after 😉
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hello @Loopylisa71

When updating firmware it's generally advised to then create a back up to preserve data ,and then perform a Factory Reset which removes old redundant file / acts as a spring clean. 

Doing this may help. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

View solution in original position

6 REPLIES 6

BandOfBrothers

Hello @Loopylisa71

When updating firmware it's generally advised to then create a back up to preserve data ,and then perform a Factory Reset which removes old redundant file / acts as a spring clean. 

Doing this may help. 

Current Phone  >

Loopylisa71
How do I do that? Never had problems before, so this is new to me.

One example of Guides are in https://www.androidpit.com/how-to-factory-reset-the-htc-one-m8

Current Phone  >

hrym

If a reset doesn't fix the issues, the phone may need to go for repair.   However, I'd expect it to and it would be part of the repair process anyway, so you wouldn't have lost anything (as long as you're fully backed up).

I can't see why running the battery flat would make any difference and it's not a good idea.   In some circumstances, it can make the phone unusable and it will certainly shorten the battery's life.   Lithium-based cells don't have any memory effect and don't need conditioning,

FWIW, before any system update, I always clear recent apps and restart the phone to clear unnecessary background process.  This gives the device as many of its resources as possible for the process.  Under Storage in in the main Settings menu on Marshmallw, there's now an option to clear all app caches, so I'll be using that as well in future.

Loopylisa71
I ended up doing a factory reset & it appears to have worked.

Thank you for your help, it is appreciated.

You're very welcome.

Take care. 

Current Phone  >