You are here:
Ask a question:
Rank 2: First Poster
carl555
Accepted Solution

Messed up Market to Google Play update

Hi,

I’ve gone to accept the update from Market to Google Play on my HTC and somehow I appear to have stopped this completing.

Looking in settings- applications- manage- all- I originally had Google Play but forced stopped it as it was doing nothing. It then reverted to Market. So now in the list I have Market but no Google Play anymore.

On launching the Market app it now opens the Internet browser and goes to a Google Play “business and program policies” screen but there is nowhere to accept anything or go any further?

Not sure what to do next, cant update to Google Play again as I can’t launch Market to do the update. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any replies,

Cheers, Carl.

(Phone is HTC Incredible S running latest update of Android of 2.3.5)

Message 1 of 19 (6,525 Views)
Rank 15: Guide IV
dcarmi

Re: Messed up Market to Google Play update

I am not quite sure which App your phone thinks is installed.

If you go to

Settings->Applications->Manage Applications->All

You will find either Google Play Store or Market (and hopefully not both). In whichever you have, click Clear Data and the app should re-initialise.

If you have Market then it should update to Google Play Store at some point and the Market icon will disappear. You may need to add the new Play Shop icon manually.

Note that the new app is called Google Play Store and the icon is called Play Shop. Google could have tried to make naming conventions a little less confusing!

Message 2 of 19 (6,474 Views)
Rank 21: Instructor V
EddyOS

Did the same to me, then eventually worked after I left it for a bit
HTC One X (S720e)
ROM: 3.14.401.31 (JRO03C)
HBOOT: 1.39.0000 | Recovery: Stock
Radio: 5.1204.162.29 | Kernel: Stock
Message 3 of 19 (6,469 Views)
carl555

Hi, thanks for your replies.

This is where I'm up to:

Under Settings->Applications->Manage Applications->All - I have Market only. No Google Play Store and No Play Store.

As advised I have now clicked Clear Data after bringing up Market. Nothing really happens there and then.

I am then back to where I was before, in that on launching the Market app it now opens the Internet browser and goes to a Google Play “business and program policies” screen. This is the address:
http://play.google.com/about/android-developer-policies.html

There is nowhere to accept anything or go any further than this?

Hope you can help me out!!

Message 4 of 19 (6,447 Views)
dcarmi

Google for "manually install play store on android" will take you to a link for the latest version of Play Store. Install that and you should be good to go. The first link contains a download of the latest Play Store from XDA.

Message 5 of 19 (6,439 Views)
dcarmi

Re: Cannot access Google Play or Market. Stuck on Policies page

Have you tried manually installing Play Store?

Message 6 of 19 (6,425 Views)
Rank 1: Guest
redfox05

I can confirm the same is happening to me, more or less exactly as you described. I can see a Market app but no Google Play app, searching through the entire installed apps list. Loading the market app results in a policies page being shown, and nothing else. See below for detailed explanation of the problem.

I have a HTC Desire HD

Androind 2.3.5

Steps to recreate:

1) Turn on phone.

2) Press Home button to show home screen

3) Press Menu, then All Apps.
4) Click on Market.

Expected results ( i am guessing here, as it hasnt worked for me):

Market App loads, and then should display some sort of welcome to Google Play, and shows Accept and Decline buttonts to Google Play terms and conditions.

Actual Results
Market app loads, and very briefly shows a screen with "Loading..." and two buttons, "Accept" and "Decline."
HOWEVER, This screen then disappears in a split second, when a browser window is loaded, showing the "Google Play Business and Program Policies."

Scrolling through the page, there is no link or button to Accept or Decline the terms or go anywhere else. The only links at the bottom are the page footer links including Google copyright, Privacy and Terms, and Help.

Resolutions steps attempted
HTC and the help on the Web suggested the following, with no luck.
- Restart the phone.
- Restart the phone by pulling out the battery while phone is on. Wait 12 seconds, then replace battery and start phone.
- Go to manage applications, and Clear Cache and Clear Data.
- Reset phone to factory settings.
- Reset phone to factory settings, and setup Google account, then try Market app again. Stil same problem.
- Reset phone to factory settings, and SKIP Google account login/linking to phone. Clicking on Market now asks to login to Google but still loads the web page with the terms and no accept/decline button.
- THEN (getting more frustrated, can you tell?) I reset phone to factory settings, logged in with another Google Acccount (as i thought maybe a settings flag has been corrupted in my account, causing Market/Play not to work. STILL no luck, and results in same problem.

I have emailed Google, will see what happens with that, I have scoured the web and Google Help for anyone else having these problems, but could not find anything, apart from some issues with Motorola I which seem unrelated.

I called Vodafone, who tried their best to help, but it seems to be more a Google problem. They did however find this forum post, which is great, as its the first one ive seen that shows that someone else is having this issue, and that its not something specific to me.

Message 7 of 19 (6,423 Views)
redfox05

Can a moderator please delete my first two posts, I had a problem with my browser and the forum formatting.

Please delete the following posts from me:

09-03-2012 12:36 PM
09-03-2012 12:43 PM

Apologies for the accidental spamming of the board
Message 8 of 19 (6,422 Views)
dcarmi

I take it from your reposting that you have not tried manually updating the app to the one released this today.

You may find it fixes itself in the next 24 hours or so, when the new update installs itself. (My phone is still on the old version.)

Message 9 of 19 (6,418 Views)
redfox05

Hi dcarmi,

Thanks for the reply, no I have not yet tried to install it manually. Would this involve installing it from a 3rd party source?

If it is, I would rather not do this, as it is a company phone, and only want to download from official  sources.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Message 10 of 19 (6,415 Views)
dcarmi

Its the genuine Google app. You don 't need to root your device or risk voiding warranty or anything. You simply download it and then install it.

The alternative, as I say, is wait until Google get around to pushing the app to you. It can take anything from minutes to days. Obviously Google have a lot of devices to update, so it can take time.

Message 11 of 19 (6,389 Views)
jayatt79

I am having exactly the same problem and am extremley frustrated.

Can anyone tell me how to download it manually onto my phone, someone has suggested XDA developers, but not really what I am doing?

Message 12 of 19 (6,375 Views)
dcarmi

Not sure if I am alowed to post links but I'll have a go.

Android Lot has a page which explains exactly how to get Play Store V3.4.7 (current as of time of writing).

Just follow thier instructions. But basically you need to get the .apk (installation package) onto your phone and then run it to install. You need a file manager and you need to apply the setting to allow to install from unknown sources.

The alternative is to wait until Google get round to updating you automatically. This could be very soon, my phone received it minutes ago.

Message 13 of 19 (6,370 Views)
jayatt79

Mine has automatically updated itself and is now fully working :cathappy:

Message 14 of 19 (6,365 Views)
dcarmi

Glad it is sorted, jayatt79. 

Message 15 of 19 (6,362 Views)
carl555

Right – sorted! :smileyhappy:

I went for dcarmi’s suggestion of using the manual install link from XDA developers:

“Google for "manually install play store on android" will take you to a link for the latest version of Play Store. Install that and you should be good to go. The first link contains a download of the latest Play Store from XDA.”

I had seen some of these links when searching the net initially for a solution and was a bit worried about what I maybe downloading, but since it was suggested here, I gave it a go.

Opened up the downloaded file with es explorer and installed it (had to tick the box to allow installation of non-market sources, but have now un-ticked this after the install)

Everything seems fine and I have downloaded an app from Play Store just to prove all ok.

Thanks everyone for your help, Carl. :smileywink:

Message 16 of 19 (6,355 Views)
dcarmi

Glad it worked. You are right to be careful about sources of applications. XDA are the group who produce a lot of the custom ROMs you may have heard of. I'd trust them more than some digital lockers you find referenced. XDA are easily capable of producing dodgy installs but it would completely ruin their "business" if they did.

You might want to turn the restriction on installing from unknown sources back on.

Message 17 of 19 (6,350 Views)
redfox05

[ Edited ]

ITS FIXED!!!! :smileyvery-happy:

Just to let you know, I turned on my phone yesterday, and the Market logo for the shortcut on my home screen has mysteriously changed, and 'Play Shop' now appears in my Apps Menu. (Market has now disappeared).

It appears that I have now been successfully changed over to the new Play Shop, and my old market shortcut on the homescreen now loads Google Play.

The first time I loaded this new app, I was asked to agree to some terms and conditions (Looked different to the one that flashed up for a split second when attempting to load the Market app during the problems. But it all seems to work fine now, and looks very similar to the old Market app layout to be honest.

I was uneasy about forcing the update by installing the app manually from an unofficial source, so I just waited it out.

I would suggest to people to wait it out, and restart your phone every so often, connect to the internet maybe, and magically your phone will hopefully be updated? In the end its up to you. Mine seems to have worked itself out :smileyhappy:

Good luck all!

Message 18 of 19 (6,293 Views)
redfox05

Message 19 of 19 (6,292 Views)