Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

My htc phone keeps restarting - rebooting by itself continuously - HELP

hi2u_uk
2: Seeker

My Htc one phone keeps turning itself on and off again rebooting  every 5-10 seconds and is getting very hot . I cant get to the screen which has all my apps just the  htc then vodaphone signal and then 3 seconds and it starts to reboot again. Its about 3 years old. What should i do to fix this. It only started happening this morning and there was no indication of anything wrong yesterday.

8 REPLIES 8

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
Hi

First just try turning it off for a few minutes and then turn back on.

Ensure your in the latest firmware and then do a hard reset after updating to get rid of any old code.

If it continues and your on the latest firmware then consider a hard reset.

As this deletes any data in the phones memory please create a back up.

If the hard reset fails you could approach Vodafone or the manufacturer for assistance. As its out of warranty their may be a fee.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Hard Reset procedure is

Performing a factory reset using hardware buttons
If you can’t turn HTC One on or access settings, you can still perform a factory reset by using the hardware buttons on HTC One.
1. Press and hold the VOLUME DOWN button, and then press and hold the POWER button.
2. Wait for the screen factory reset menu and then release the POWER and VOLUME DOWN buttons.
3. Press VOLUME DOWN to select FACTORY RESET, and then press the POWER button.

Factory reset will permanently delete all your data and customized settings, and will remove any applications you’ve downloaded and installed. Be sure to back up any data and files you want to keep before you do a factory reset.

or

1. Slide the Notifications panel open, and then tap Settings icon.
2. Tap Storage > Factory data reset.
3. Tap Reset phone, and then tap Erase everything.

Performing a factory reset via settings
The most convenient way to do a factory reset is via the settings.
1. From the Home screen, press MENU, and then tap Settings.
2. Tap SD & phone storage > Factory data reset.
3. Tap Reset phone, and then tap Erase everything.

Reset Your Phone
If your phone has a persistent problem that cannot be solved, you can perform a factory reset (also called a hard reset or master reset). A factory reset reverts the phone back to its initial state — the state before you turned on the phone for the first time.
The following will be removed from the phone when you do a factory reset:
- Your Google Account
- All accounts you've added in Settings > Accounts & sync and the data associated with these accounts
- Personal data that you've created or synced to the phone such as your profile, contacts, messages, email, calendar events, and more
- System and application data and settings
- Downloaded apps
Files such as your music, photos, videos, and documents will also be deleted if you select the Erase all data option.
Be sure to back up any data and files you want to keep before you do a factory reset.
Note: A factory reset may not permanently erase all data from your phone, including personal information.

The HTC phone comes with a 2 year warranty.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

drey_p
16: Advanced member
Hi there

Does this particular handset have a user removable battery? If so, take the battery out and check it over and look for any signs of swelling. Swelling could indicate a faulty battery.
Does it exhibit the same behaviour if you switch it off for a few minutes?
Have you updated any apps recently? It could be an app playing up?

I would personally do a factory reset of the device and see how it behaves after that.

PWIAC

hi2u_uk

i have never back up my phone :Sad_face: so im a bit worried about factory reset so i read online elsewhere to try a soft reset first

drey_p
A soft reset is simply turning your phone off and on. Has turning your phone off helped at all?

PWIAC

hrym

What happens if you leave the phone plugged in - ie powered by its charger?   Does it still do it?   If not, I think it's most likely to be an exhausted battery - not unlikely after 3 years.   If it works, you should be able to get at your content to back it up, but that's something it's a good idea to do on a regular basis against the day when the thing decides to do its best impression of a housebrick (or you lose it).

Photos can be set to sync automatically to an online service such as Google Drive, Dropbox or iCloud, your contacts and calendar will normally sync with the service that runs them and music may be re-downloadable.

If you're using an external sd card to hold any of your data, remove it before doing a reset as the process sometimes formats external media.

hi2u_uk

I was told to hold the power botton and the volume button for about 20 seconds. This resulted in the phone restarting and updating android however it has now resulted in me loosing all of my data :(

drey_p
That's because you have done a hard reset of the device which completely wipes the device,

PWIAC