cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

My screen is smashed. Should i wait till i can upgrade?

lesley-anne95
3: Seeker
I recently just cracked the screen on my HTC. The phone still works fine. Its just hard to read the screen with the cracks. My upgrade isn't till August so I was wondering what my options are? could I upgrade early? or would it be cheaper to get it fixed or just leave it till I get an upgrade?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hrym
17: Community Champion

You won't be able to upgrade this early, so your only option would be to pay an early termination fee, which is your remaining monthly payments, less the VAT and with a 2% discount.  A screen repair is likely to be in the region of £150, for comparison, but it would be worth checking to see if your household or other insurance would cover it.  Timpson's offer a repair service and may be competitive and possibly quicker than Vodafone or HTC.

If you do get the phone repaired, it'll be worth keeping it for as long as possible, so switch to a SIM only contract when your current one is up.   I'd go for the 30-day option so that you can upgrade immediately if you want or need to.  It's £2 a month more, but that's pretty cheap for what's effectively insurance.

View solution in original position

3 REPLIES 3

hrym

You won't be able to upgrade this early, so your only option would be to pay an early termination fee, which is your remaining monthly payments, less the VAT and with a 2% discount.  A screen repair is likely to be in the region of £150, for comparison, but it would be worth checking to see if your household or other insurance would cover it.  Timpson's offer a repair service and may be competitive and possibly quicker than Vodafone or HTC.

If you do get the phone repaired, it'll be worth keeping it for as long as possible, so switch to a SIM only contract when your current one is up.   I'd go for the 30-day option so that you can upgrade immediately if you want or need to.  It's £2 a month more, but that's pretty cheap for what's effectively insurance.

lesley-anne95
I recently just cracked the screen on my HTC. The phone still works fine. Its just hard to read the screen with the cracks. My upgrade isn't till August so I was wondering what my options are? could I upgrade early? or would it be cheaper to get it fixed or just leave it till I get an upgrade?

63johnw
Hi, you can upgrade early but you would have to pay the early termination fee first.

A new screen normally costs around the £100 mark.

Don't know how these figures add up for you, if you can't afford it it may just be worth trying to hang on.