Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Not automatically reconnecting to mobile network

mikesh
4: Newbie

Not sure if this should go under 'Networks' but I'll try here first.  I have a Desire Z but it's not a VF one - I have a SIM only contract with VF.

The issue I have had is that on occasions  the phone doesn't seem to reconnect itself to the network after it has been out of range or lost the signal. I don't know if this is always the case as I only notice when I get it out and it hasn't done it, but it has happened a few times. It sits there with no bars and the x symbol (and just now said 'emergency calls only' which made me wonder).

I then have to poke it to get it back. First time I restarted the phone, but now I go into the settings and put it in Airplane mode for a few seconds. On bringing it back from Airplane it then reconnects OK.

Thoughts?

4 REPLIES 4

Retired-Trev
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi mikesh

How strange. :smileyindifferent:

This is not something we've had widely reported on the eForum, so it does look more like a localised issue, either with the handset or SIM. As it's not a handset we've supplied, our usual warranty cover does not apply. It may help if you back up your device, action a factory reset, then restore your content. This can sometime rectify these matters.

If the SIM is causing the issue, this can be checked by trying the SIM in a different device, or using another SIM in your device, we can help in exchanging that. A quick call to customer services, and a SIM can be posted out to you, or you could get one from your local Vodafone store.

If there are more people who have this issue, it would help if you advise us, via this thread, and also include your firmware version. This helps greatly in a investigation is required at a later time from our device team.

Let me know how you get on.

Regards

Trev

eForum Team

Thanks for the ideas. Never thought it might be the SIM.

Problem is it's not possible to do it to order - I'm pretty sure it loses the signal many times in a day with me travelling around and even in remote corners of the house without 'locking out' - so testing in another device could be tricky. I suspect it may only happen when it's out of range for a significant time, like an hour or something.

If it gets worse or repeatable I'll certainly try your suggestions, but for now I'll just keep an eye on the bars.

I have the same issues as described here. No idea where the issues really lies as I can't claim to undertstand it all. But I have simply changed my settings to only use 3g, which is a tragic shame as I spent good money on a 4g contract which I am not using. Well done Vodafone!

hrym
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

What phone do you have and has it got the latest version of its operating system on it?   There were some issues with some devices early on with 4G (though I though that was confined to Samsungs??) that was, afaik, solved with a softawre update.  And, anway, wasn't it fallback from 4G to 3G?

At the risk of stating the ovbvious I assume you're in an area with a strong 4G signal when the reonnection fails?   I'm just wondering whether it''s possible that it's marginal and that the 3G signal is stronger and that the phone's locking onto that instead.