Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

One M8 poor battery performance

simonmurray
4: Newbie

I have had this phone since April, and love it, but over the last few months I have noticed a decline in the battery life, pre Lollipop, and still after installing it, and it now barely lasts the day, and I am having to re-charge it once I get home from work. I am seriously concerned it is going to give me bother when I go on holidays soon.

I am really disappointed, and cannot envisage this product lasting until, April 2016.

I always charge it fully over night. In my opinion I use it very little throughout the day.

I always have the power saver on, and auto light feature. I keep Wifi and Bluetooth off, and only turn on when necessary/required.

I have contacted HTC, and performed their diagnostoc test on the battery, and they say if it goes below 90%, it needs returned, in two tests mine has given 90 then 89%, so it meets their crietria for a bad battery.

Can someone from VF recommend a course of action.....as this is not going to function satisfactorily until the end of its intended minimum life of 2 years?!

I also want to point out that for the final ~6 months of my last HTC One X, I also suffered similar severe battery shortfall, and it struggled to get through my 2 year contract.

Its a fact, current phones of most brands do not lat the planned and intended contract length that all providers selll them for!!!

Rgds Simon

[Samung S8 & Vodafone V8 (business)]

3 REPLIES 3

hrym
17: Community Champion

If there's a battery issue, I'd recommend going to HTC for a repair.  However, I'm concerned that you've had the problem on another device as well.   It sounds like an app and it may be a little difficult to track down.  I'd start by installing a data monitoring app.  This won't tell you about battery usage, but it might show up something that's updating its content more frequently than it should.   I use My Data Manager, but there are others.   Most can analyse usage down to the app and the hour.

Don't know how this text and the correct tiel got intop my other thread....but anyway....

I'm confused.....I understand I should conduct some monitoring, before sending for repair, but surely I need to monitor apps & processor, not data downloading!? Can you recommend an app for this?

M phone died yesterday at 7pm.

I am now using "OS monitor" app and nothing untoward at the moment, but yesterday before it quit facebook app was using 50-60% of cpu?!

Rgds Simon

[Samung S8 & Vodafone V8 (business)]

hrym

Monitoring battery usage is more difficult.   There's a summary in Settings|Batttery that'll show you what's using power by percentage, but that's not much help - it'll probably be the screen.

I suggested data monitoring as, if it's an app, there's a chance that it's also using data and that would be the easiest way of identifying it.

Failing that, you could do a factory reset and then run the phone vanilla, with no additional apps installed, for a day or two.  If it's stable then, add your apps back one by one until the problem recurs.  The last one in would be the culprit.