Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

One Mini 2 Faulty Microphone

dlorde
7: Helper
7: Helper

I spoke too soon in my last thread when I said the new phone was working fine... it actually had an intermittent microphone fault that swamped the input with loud crackling. This seems to be one of the more common problems with the recent One series phones.

I've now got a replacement  from Vodafone, which - so far - is working fine.

A quick heads-up to anyone else with this kind of problem on a new purchase or upgrade - Vodafone have a direct replacement service where a replacement is couriered out and the fauly phone is collected at the same time. If VF central don't have any new phones of the same model in stock, they can't do this (as I discovered), but another possibility is an in-store exchange, where you exchange the faulty phone for a new one from the store's stock. This is where I got lucky - my local VF store had one in stock even though VF central didn't.

Bear in mind that for these exchanges, VF want the faulty phone with all the bits and pieces that come in the box; the phone alone isn't sufficient - at least that's what VF Canterbury wanted before they'd authorise the exchange.

So keep the box and all the bits that come with it until you're certain your new phone is working properly.

16 REPLIES 16

hrym
17: Community Champion

This certainly sounds like a known issue.   Vodafone don't generally replace as a firts port of call, and will normally attempt a repair.  It's possible that, in this instace, you were within the cooling off period and that's why you got a straight replacement.

I don't want to put down the excellent service you got, but I think it's desirable not to raise the expectations of other people who read this thread.  An exchange service is not the norm.

@hrym wrote:

It's possible that, in this instace, you were within the cooling off period and that's why you got a straight replacement.

I don't want to put down the excellent service you got, but I think it's desirable not to raise the expectations of other people who read this thread.  An exchange service is not the norm.

Yes, you're right, it was within the cooling off period. I did say it was a heads up for anyone else with this kind of problem on a new purchase or upgrade, and they should keep the box & stuff until they're certain the new phone is working properly. 

Perhaps I should have been more explicit.

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi dlorde,

Thanks for the update. I'm glad to see the exchanged phone is working OK. Let us know how you get on an if you need a hand with anything else. :Smiling:

Cheers, Ben

Thanks Ben - one question did occur: the One Mini 2 user guide and the Sense 6 manual say that you can change the wallpaper on the lock screen separately from the home screens by going to 'Settings' -> 'Personalize' -> 'Lock screen wallpaper'. The 'Personalize' menu on my One Mini 2 doesn't have this option (nor did the faulty One Mini 2 that I exchanged).

The phone is running Sense 6.0. I know that the One M8 has a few interface features the One Mini 2 doesn't have, and this may be one of them.  I'm assuming they hacked the One M8 user guide for the One Mini 2, and didn't edit out this entry. Can you confirm this, or is there some other setting that makes this lock screen wallpaper option appear?

hrym

I've got an M8 and I'm pretty sure the wallpaper option appears where it's supposed to.  Have you looked under Display to see if it's there?  It's possible the mini doesn;t have the option, but I thought was a pretty basic Android feature - or was that the homescreen wallpaper I'm thinking about?

@hrym wrote:

I've got an M8 and I'm pretty sure the wallpaper option appears where it's supposed to.  Have you looked under Display to see if it's there?  It's possible the mini doesn;t have the option, but I thought was a pretty basic Android feature - or was that the homescreen wallpaper I'm thinking about?

I'm specifically referring to the 'Lock Screen Wallpaper' option.I have no issues with the home screen wallpaper. Here is the relevant One Mini 2 User Guide entry:

Changing the lock screen wallpaper

Use the home wallpaper, or use any photo you've taken with the camera as the lock screen wallpaper.
  1. Go to Settings, and then tap Personalize.
  2. Tap Lock screen wallpaper
  3. In the pop-up menu, tap Use home screen wallpaper or tap Use custom wallpaper to select a photo from Gallery.
On my phone, step 2 isn't available. It's not a major problem, just a bit puzzling.

thesoupdragon
I have noticed this before with manufacturers, they don't always amend the User Manual properly for "mini" versions of devices because they are so similar.
It could simply be an error in the manual, and that feature isn't available the the HTC One mini?
Hopefully someone else with a One mini can confirm what is in their menu for you?

It could simply be an error in the manual, and that feature isn't available the the HTC One mini?
Hopefully someone else with a One mini can confirm what is in their menu for you?

It's the HTC One Mini 2, not the HTC One Mini, just to clarify.

I think HTC have made a poor job of the naming for this device - it's a cut-down HTC One M8, so why not call it the HTC One M8 Mini?

I also found another difference in function - taking a screenshot; if you try pressing 'Power' and 'Volume Down' as suggested in the User Guide (and the HTC Support FAQ for the phone), you'll just reduce the volume. To take a screenshot you have to press the 'Power' and 'Home' buttons together. That would be a useful tip to go in the 'One Series FAQ' thread here.

thesoupdragon

@dlorde wrote:

It's the HTC One Mini 2, not the HTC One Mini, just to clarify.

Sorry missed that bit off, Yes it is important to clarify models... :smileywink:

TSD