Support:

HTC

Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
laika

Power button problem since update

Since the most recent OTA update, I've had a problem with my power button. 

When I press it, the phone often doesn't go dark. It just goes dark for half a second and then comes on again. I have to press it a number of times until it goes dark.

Also, often when I press the home button, a screenshot is taken. I know that with the new update it is possible to take a screenshot by pressing the power button and the home button, but it takes screenshots without me pressing the power button. 

This problem doesn't seem to be unique to me::

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1235382

http://www.htcsensationforum.com/troubleshooting-htc-sensation-4g/home-button-problem/

Are other people here having this problem? Will this be fixed by a future OTA update or do I need to get a replacement?

Thanks

Message 1 of 64 (19,858 Views)
laika

Re: Power button problem since update

Can anyone from Vodafone shed any light on this please?

Message 2 of 64 (19,801 Views)
Tech Team
DaveCD

Hi laika.

First and foremost a very warm welcome to the eForum, it is fantastic to see new users here.

I understand your frustration and this is the first we have seen of this on the eForum.

Have you tried resetting the handset?

To do this;

Remove Battery whilst handset is powered up > Remove SIM > Re-insert battery > Power up handset > Pull battery whilst handset is powered up > Re-insert SIM > Replace battery > Power up as normal.

This will have reset the handset, please try this first to see if it resolves this.

We have some Frequently Asked Questions around firmware that may also be of use.

Many Thanks

DaveCD

eForum Team

If you feel I have helped it would be awesome if you could take 30 seconds for a quick survey. :smileyhappy:

Don't forget to check out Vodafone VIP for the latest news, events and competitions!

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 3 of 64 (19,798 Views)
laika

Hello,

I have reset my phone and it hasn't made any difference.

Message 4 of 64 (19,779 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
Noetic

Mine occasionally does this as well, and the power button is most definitely not stuck (+it isn't trying to power on or off, and the problem occurs intermittently without me touching the power button)
Message 5 of 64 (19,767 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Martin

Hi Guys

I am sorry to see that this is happening.

If we can get 10 examples on here we will be able to raise this with our support teams. If anyone has encountered this please post back with the current firmware.

To see what firmware you are on you can see this in the settings then "about phone".

Thanks

Martin

eForum Team

Message 6 of 64 (19,737 Views)
hellomynameistj

hi, i am also having this problem, but it is only occasional

Message 7 of 64 (19,695 Views)
laika

Android version

HTC Sense version

Software number 

Message 8 of 64 (19,663 Views)
pcpimp

Im having exactly this problem as well, HTC has added the retarded screen shot ability and altered the power button and home key to activate the program "scribble". I've done everything to resolve the issue and it's more than annoying. Forget about showing your phone off to someone, it wont come on when you ask it to, and it wont go off when you ask it to.

I'm more than upset that my awesome phone is now a peice of junk. I dont care for, nor need the ability for screen shot, and if I did, would be better as a program I choose to use and not one that has altered my hard buttons.

HTC simply walking you through the steps of setting your phone to factory default which does absolutly nothing to fix the issue. I was just about to purchase another one for my wife; but I now have to put that on hold because I not going to listen to the crying about this issue.

It's obvious that htc didnt thouroughly test this OTA update before releasing it to the public.

Android version

HTC Sense version

Software number 

Message 9 of 64 (19,616 Views)
steveybee

Hi, I am also having the same problem. It occured as soon as I applied the 2.3.4 update. Before that, I never had this problem! It is extremely frustrating and is very widespread. This 10 page thread over at XDA-Developers is fast approaching 100 posts with users who are experiencing the exact same problem. It is EXTREMELY frustrating!

I have tried raising it with HTC and they just tell me to do what I and many others have already done many times which is a hard reset. HTC always seem to think that theses widespread issues can be resolved with a hard reset when in reality this is not the case! I am now looking at you, Vodafone to raise this as an issue internally.

Thanks

Android version

HTC Sense version

Software number

Message 10 of 64 (19,504 Views)
daveym83

Yep, same problem here. Reset doesn't solve anything. Phone refuses to switch to 'black screen' state; home button takes screen shots at random. Briefly pressing the power button seems to resolve the screen shot issue but it's still irritating, not to mention embarassing if showing a picture, funny message, whatever to a friend and all the phone wants to do is take pictures of itself.

Vodafone, telling people to reset their phones and check the power button isn't stuck is stock advice that obviously isn't working.

First the signal issue with this phone, now this. It's a very nice phone - it just needs to start working...

Android 2.3.4; software 1.45.161.1 - although you already know that because the issues are specific to the latest update.

Message 11 of 64 (19,496 Views)
koggan

Hi guys, ... Reporting the same issue from Aussie land... I've got my Sensation over internet (ebay) because it hadn't been released in Australia and I really want it very badly. I came up with this tread browsing on internet about the same problem, every time I press the power button the screen goes black for a second and then goes to lock screen , and then I need to press a couple of times more to actually turn it of. Also , after I turn on the screen and i want to go to home, I'll take a stupid screen shot!! Haha is so ridiculous that's even funny!! (not really) Simply annoying!!. I realized of something lately though, if I change my scene to one of the phone's presets like "travel" or "social" the problem seems to disappear... BUT , why would I care for a phone that doesn't allow me change and personalize my stuff...?? I would get an iPhone if I'd looking for that. Please anybody call anybody!!! I want my phone usable again!! Ta.
Message 12 of 64 (19,465 Views)
Tech Team
Wayne

Hi koggan and welcome to the eForum

Thanks for your post here. I’m sorry to hear that you are having problems with this too.

Unfortunately you would need to be a Vodafone UK customer for us to be able to investigate this for you. Keep an eye on this thread though and as soon as there is an update, we’ll post it here. We’re just waiting for enough examples of this issue. So far we have five of the required 10 examples.

Cheers

Wayne

eForum Team

If you have a spare minute could you please take the time to fill out a short feedback form about me?

You can do so here

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 13 of 64 (19,410 Views)
ed_grapevine

HI, I am also experiencing these issues since update.

Android 2.3.4

Software 1.45.161.1

Message 14 of 64 (19,392 Views)
becward123

Hello,

I am also having this problem :smileysad:

I have tried most things which have already been mentioned above to solve this issue however no luck.

So yesterday I decided to take my handset back to the shop, the guy working there installed the new software update from vodafone and said this should sort it out. But nothing changed it was still doing it. So should I take my handset back for a replacement or repair?

Hope someone can help with this issue

Becca.

Message 15 of 64 (19,371 Views)
mdvs31

Hi, I'm have exactly the same problem

Message 16 of 64 (19,339 Views)
h5pdk

Same problem here its very frustrating when you press the home screen and it takes a screen shot!
Message 17 of 64 (19,329 Views)
Noodles317

Looks like i am lucky No: 10 then!!

I have the power button issue aswell as the random nonresponsive screen issue that i am sure the Vodafone people are going to hear about at the weekend when i take a little trip to see them in the shop!!!!

As you can tell i am not a happy bunny about all the trouble this handset is causing me!

Message 18 of 64 (19,324 Views)
steveybee

Vodafone, there are now 10 examples of this problem so please honour your word and escalate this issue.

Message 19 of 64 (19,315 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Martin

Hi Guys

I have just raised this with our support teams with all of the information that has been given.

Only 5 people confirmed what firmware version that has been used with this and I have presumed that everyone is on the same.

If we get any information around this we will keep you all updated.

Thanks

Martin

eForum Team

Message 20 of 64 (19,264 Views)