Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

RCS update

duncan100974
4: Newbie
I have just installed an update for RCS that is supposed to fix a few bugs. One of those 'bugs' appears to be stopping me from disabling the app! I hope one of the fixes is also related to a reduction in battery usage for RCS. If not, vf are having the phone back as it's not fit for purpose else. What's the point of a mobile phone if you need to keep plugging it in making it immobile.
5 REPLIES 5

TimGriff6
13: Advanced Member

It is a nuisance but if you open apps, open the top right menu, click manage apps, click on the all apps tab and scroll down to rcs, you can stop it even though the disable app button is greyed out.  (If you already knew this and had done it, please accept my apology for mentioning it but remember that it may be of use to other people looking at the thread)  Of course, the next time you restart the phone or send a text, it starts again.

I'm not sure why it doesn't ever appear in the running apps tab.

It would be nice if Vodafone got the feedback about this problem from the forum and did something about it.

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Guys,

Ben responded on a similar thread regarding this here

Thanks,

Jenny 

TimGriff6
13: Advanced Member

Ben's response was originally that it was possible to disable it.  Now it is not possible and the only way to stop it running is to force a stop.  It seems that with RCS running, the battery usage in idle on my phone is roughly doubled so on standby, the phone needs to be charged twice as often as when RCS is stopped.

Ben has told us the phone users will have to have a version of RCS running in the future but while it is so power hungry, if we don't like it, we can send our phones away and have it removed by a rollback.  The answer is surely to refine the RCS program so that it doesn't use more power than what it replaces.  Ben has said that Vodafone will feed back information from users - that has to be done quickly and pressure put on the developer to a) sort the program and b) through a patch, give users the option to disable it until it is a better program.

Have Vodafone done that?

duncan100974
4: Newbie
I agree voda do need to pressure the developers on this a phones that are this power hungry is ridiculous. Why can't theyput the role back on here or have a request form so they can message users a link to do it? You could also put a small credit on all HTC one users accounts for the extra electricity we're having to use to keep a charge in our phones.

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @TimGriff6  and  @duncan100974

Thanks for taking the time to post feedback. 

I'm working to provide as much feedback as possible. Although not all customers are seeing the same symptoms, I have flagged that some members of the community here have concerns over power use and stability. 

Any details customers share in the eForum will be added. 

I'd like to try and keep all information about RCS in one place. While I won't close this thread off, I would ask if you could use the link Jenny provided above to provide any other details. This will make it easier for my team to collect feedback as well as other members of the eForum to get help and advice. :Smiling:

Cheers, 

Ben