You are here:
Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
d_pendleton

Removing Apps

Just got my HD, Love the phone, but there's loads of guff installed in it that I dont want there.

There's a whole host of demo games and more irritatingly Vodafoen 360. I go through any available delete option, and the options are either greyed out, or the app reappears upon delete.

I've called tech support @ Voda, they told me to ring HTC. Htc said the apps were not part of the original install on the phone, so must have been put there by VF. I called VF back, they were very helpful, but eventually fobbed me off without A- Admitting that the apps are put there by Vf, Nor are they locked to prevent removal.

I am paying for data allowance, that I should be able to choose what it's used for. I want to remove the 360 app that is using data on my handset, Or I'd expect a FREE allowance of data to cover this.

I want some answers please VF. Please explain why these apps wont remove.

If this is "Bloatware" then please update my handset to a base htc/android build of the desire HD.

You've got 5 days or you're getting it back, and my contract terminated.

I'm not an awkward customer, but do not appreciate being made to pay for something I neither need or want.

Seems a shame after 10 years!

Message 1 of 29 (5,437 Views)
Chester29

Re: Removing Apps

[ Edited ]

I think you'll be sending it back. I got told on their facebook page that they won't remove the apps.

Take your money to the carphone warehouse and get an unbranded one, that's what I'm doing next time. Plus I'm off back to Orange for their cinema ticket deal, saves me quite a lot of money over the lifetime of a mobile contract.

Message 2 of 29 (5,423 Views)
A2a
Rank 5: Regular Poster
A2a

I got my upgrade from Vodafone pretty much just after the DHD launched. It does not seem to be branded with VF firmware?

Did these ship initially without branded firmware?

Message 3 of 29 (5,385 Views)
Rank 12: Guide I
NeoBlade

Just noticed that my post got deleted...

Anyway yes these phones are all debranded to begin with but as companies like Vodafone, Orange etc sell them, they add their own features to the original firmware. This is why you get delays in official firmware updates as they have to test the firmware with their own modifications on top.

If you have Vodafone 360, Vodafone Store or a Vodafone boot up image then it has been branded.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy S3

If I have helped you in any way then please click on the star on the left ^_^ Thank you!
Message 4 of 29 (5,348 Views)
d_pendleton

Posts mysteriously deleted, how unlike this forum...

I keep getting told my username's invalid, but i can log in if i reset my password on each occasion. Seems the new forum can't handle (.) characters in names...

Anyhoo... Looks like i'm gonna send this back on Monday. I'm losing my patience with it already.

HTC call very firmly placed the ball in vodafone's court, voda rep told me that the higher level support "weren't bothered to try and help me" and wouldn't give me a staight answer...

I emailed voda with a few questions the other day and got a reply to one of the points, just over the 24 hour timeframe they agree... I looked online for the answers, it said "call our 24 hour customer services" I did... i got a automated reply telling me to call back during opening hours... The website says "you'll be text a replacement voicemail pin automatically if you're locked out" - I wasn't

I was abroad, and VF kept trying to call me for some reason.. I wasn't going to answer and pay roaming for a sales call...

All in all, a right shambles.

Message 5 of 29 (5,342 Views)
salmonpincher

strange - got mine online with vodafone & its unbranded - fortunately..

Message 6 of 29 (5,308 Views)
A2a
Rank 5: Regular Poster
A2a

Yes, but my phone came directly from Vodafone and I believe it's unbranded.

How can I tell and also compare what version of the ROM I have to the HTC?
Message 7 of 29 (5,305 Views)
d_pendleton

settings, about phone, firmware information to show you version and rom.

Minse is running:

Build No. 1.39.161.1 (CL278886)

s/w No. 1.39.161.1

webkit 3.1

Ironically, according to HTC it should be running 1.32.405.6

From a blokey on the phone, then this appeared on the website...

"Update – HTC Desire HD Firmware Over The Air (FOTA) update
You can now download the latest software update for new features and improved performance. It won’t delete any of your content and we’d recommend using a Wi-Fi connection as this is a large update. If not, standard data connection charges may apply. Any questions? Contact us via www.htc.com. After installing the update, you can confirm a successful update by confirming the Software number (From the Home Screen go to MENU> Settings> About Phone> Software Information> Software number). The new Software number will be 1.32.405.6.

Update Information: Improve screen control and Youtube client performance enhancements

Note: We still recommend you back up your all personal data first.
BTW. It doesn't work...

Message 8 of 29 (5,291 Views)
Tech Team
Wayne

Hi d_pendleton

Thanks for your post here. I'm sorry to hear that you aren't happy with the Vodafone 360 client software. :smileysad:

I'm afraid that you won't be able to uninstall this as it is locked into the firmware. However, don't worry because it doesn't cost anything and you don't have to use it. It's just there in case you did :smileyhappy:

Please let me know if you have any more questions and we'll be happy to help you further

Thanks

Wayne

eForum Team

Message 9 of 29 (5,273 Views)
Chester29

alright Wayne,

Why do the apps have to be locked into the firmware? As you say, we don't have to use them so why can't we remove them?

I think these apps are available on the market place so why not just let us download them if we want them.

Also I'm going to moan like hell when we have to wait a couple of months for vodafone to update our phones when new firmware is released because of these apps.

Message 10 of 29 (5,256 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
George

Hi Chester29,

Thanks for posting. As far as I'm aware, the reason that the apps can't be removed is because anything included in a firmware release has to be embedded and so therefore unremovable.

George

eForum Team

Message 11 of 29 (5,225 Views)
d_pendleton

Which surely begs the question, why's it there in the first place?

My returns pack has been ordered, I'm sending it back. Will await an update on the handset removing the now outdated and guff ridden firmware from the handset, and opt for one that can be updated with firmware when the manufacturer releases it, as opposed to when Vf have spent so long adding unneccessary applications to it, it's already outdated before it's released.

Message 12 of 29 (5,175 Views)
Rank 2: First Poster
Xan245

I received my Desire HD on Saturday and it to has got all these irritating demos & junk that I can't remove mine I too will be getting a return bag if its not sorted, spoken to a couple of voda people on the phone and in a local store, nothing useful from anyone yet

Message 13 of 29 (5,166 Views)
NeoBlade

There are ways but it would void your warranty if you don't know how to do a restore. I can't mention it here as it got deleted, however if you feel strongly about it then there are options.

Its a lot worse previously and Vodafone has learnt their lesson from last time (HTC Desire).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I have helped you in any way then please click on the star on the left ^_^ Thank you!
Message 14 of 29 (5,160 Views)
Xan245

I have been reading up on these "alternate" methods and voiding my warranty is something I'd like to avoid, I'd like to think I'm reasonably tech savvy but its more PC hardware not phone fiddling that I'm into, I'd have hoped with "the desire incident" that they would just leave the HD as it was supposed to be but apparently not =(

Message 15 of 29 (5,157 Views)
Chester29

You'd think with the stink kicked up over the Desire and Galaxy S vodafone would of realised that these apps aren't wanted and just make them an optional download.

I'm guessing they get a bit of money in their pocket from putting the demos on, so stuff the customer.

Message 16 of 29 (5,141 Views)
NeoBlade

Yeah, its not a difficult process to do, however it will void your warranty unless you know how to do a restore (easy) and no-one will know the wiser... However I agree, such steps shouldn't be required in the first place.

I've not got issues if carriers want to add software to the firmware, but at least make it an option and have it un-installable so it can be down to the user's discretion.

Message 17 of 29 (5,132 Views)
lakesadam

Also got mine as an upgrade from Vodafone online shop with no Vodafone apps or branding. Plus its not network locked?
Message 18 of 29 (5,116 Views)
NeoBlade

It was probably SIM Free then however I believe that all Vodafone contract phones are SIM free now as well.

Message 19 of 29 (5,096 Views)
Xan245

Progress is made, sort of....

Spoke to someone helpful on my 2nd phonecall last night, to start with they were sending out the phones as they came from HTC, unlocked and no bloatware, then once they had finished "adding features" they stopped ordering the stock ones, and the telesales have no more in stock, however some stores may have the "standard variant" still around and if I can find a said store (they can't see stock levels at telesales) then I can send my Vodafone variant back to telesales and pick up the standard one from the store, so I've got numbers for my local stores from the guy but as it was past closing time I haven't had any luck speaking to anyone yet,

Fingers crossed and I hope this helps you if you're still in your 7 days since you get your phone period too

Xan245

Message 20 of 29 (5,083 Views)
iPhone 6

iPhone 6

Bigger than bigger

Samsung Galaxy Alpha

Samsung Galaxy Alpha

Stand out from the crowd

My Vodafone

My Vodafone

Stay in control of your spending and manage your account online.

Need more credit?

Top Up

It's easy to top up online.

Vodafone Freebee Rewardz

Vodafone Freebee Rewardz

Earn Rewardz points every time you top up.