Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Rooting, warranty and pre-installed apps

Wossi
6: Helper
6: Helper

I got the One M8 yesterday and so far I'm really liking it. A bit of an upgrade from my Galaxy Nexus.

The only major gripe I have is the pre-installed apps that you cannot uninstall. As far as I can see the only way to get rid of them is to root the phone and either use Titanium backup to delete them or put another rom on there.

I have no problem with rooting the phone as all my previous phones were rooted, but I'm hesitant with this one as I don't fancy having an invalidated warranty due to both HTC and Vodafone making so there are apps taking up space on the phone that you can't get rid of.

So, if I root my phone will I lose the 24 month warranty that comes with it?

72 REPLIES 72

GojuSuzi
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member
To be perfectly honest, if you have a faulty phone due to be sent for a repair, restoring it yourself is usually a good first step since a) it may fix the problem and avoid the hassle of a repair, b) better to not have it launched into the hands of invisible agents with all your personal junk intact, and c) it avoids having to have an argument over rooting etc. in the first place.

Hi i did it to prove a point. The screen was faulty so i sent it fully rooted. I could of restored to stock but that is not the point. I did try stock and factory reset prior to all this  These companies are not applying the correct information on rooting so i now have clarification.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Wossi

Personally that's why I buy my phones SIM free as the only difference with a contract is they might be slightly subsidised and the hardware cost is spread over the contract term although the vanilla versions do have stuff like Google Drive baked in that you can't remove unless you root but yes that voids the warranty too.

However the price you pay is that you have to wait ages for the mobile operator to sign off a firmware update and they tend to inject it with their own apps for services they hope you'll purchase.

All the UK operators do it.