Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Rooting, warranty and pre-installed apps

Wossi
6: Helper
6: Helper

I got the One M8 yesterday and so far I'm really liking it. A bit of an upgrade from my Galaxy Nexus.

The only major gripe I have is the pre-installed apps that you cannot uninstall. As far as I can see the only way to get rid of them is to root the phone and either use Titanium backup to delete them or put another rom on there.

I have no problem with rooting the phone as all my previous phones were rooted, but I'm hesitant with this one as I don't fancy having an invalidated warranty due to both HTC and Vodafone making so there are apps taking up space on the phone that you can't get rid of.

So, if I root my phone will I lose the 24 month warranty that comes with it?

72 REPLIES 72

Jeffkinn please can you show me any statement on HTC DEV that backs up your statement that all the warranty is gone as soon as you root your phone.   http://www.htcdev.com/bootloader. htc bootloader.PNG

Nabs
17: Community Champion

Thanks @paul2550 

There is one line in there that could possibly (at lease in my interpretation) favor the manufacturers

The difference is only that if the defect arises now, the seller can claim that the defect was caused by some action that was triggered by non-normal use of the device4
(4. E.g. a defect power button could be caused by spreading marmalade in it or hooking it onto a robot that would continuously press the button every second 24/7 — of course that is not normal or intended use.)

The manufacturer never intended for the phone to be used with any software other than what was supplied therefore someone could interpret rooting and changing the core code running on the phone as non-normal use. 

I think this, like with many laws, would be down to interpretation and any claim under it would be handled on a per case basis.

For me this is quite a difficult one as I can understand, and support, both sides of the argument. From a consumer perspective you want the freedom to use your phone in whatever way you like and that I fully support (whoreally want restrictions) however from a manufacturer point of view why should they put resources into the repair of a device that has gone wrong due to something the user has done...

Hi Yes i see your point and as it stipulates they have to prove that to be the case.  but i am told it is only the software side of the warranty that would be invalid. From HTC themselves. His words to be clear are your warranty is not automatically void from rooting. We can void it if we can show that the fault was caused by your actions IE rooting being the cause. As he said 95% of claims on rooted devices are our responsibility to repair. I personally have had  s off fully rooted phone returned that had faulty touch screen and nothing was mentioned about that. I am fully conversant with ADB commands ETC . I accept that  if it was sent back with CPU damage i would expect questions to be asked. So what i am saying is your warranty is not void simply because you root. The chap also said if that was the case devices that have root privledges would not have a warranty when sold new. He also asked for as i have asked JEFFKINN where they stated your warranty was fully voided. I can't find it but JEFFKINN seems to have proof but unwilling to share. When i get the email tomorrow i will post it to prove this is the case. The warranty statement is merley there so if a brick occured while rooting or because of rooting they can if its proved thats what caused it void the warranty. That is the bare bones of it really. So to that end as i was asked, can anyone show me where it stipulates that your phone warranty is 100% voided if rooted? 

jeffkinn
The network's position has always been that rooting voids the warranty. Until they make a prouncements that this no longer applies, it does apply. I've asked the forum team for a clarification of their position and I hope it supports your viewpoint.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

You can ask anybody but the fact remains it does not void your STATUTORY WARRANTY FACT . Please post supporting evidence or get your team to post supporting evidence. You make alot of statements but with no evidence. I keep asking for you to show me were it says your phone warranty is 100% gone if you root. PLEASE ENLIGHTEN US ALL with your seemingly private info. HOW MANY times have i asked you to [post the evidence. If i have posted or been asked i have supplied what i have at this moment SO AGAIN PLEASE PLEASE SUPPORT YOUR STATEMENT OR ANYONE FROM VODAPHONE WHERE IT SAYS YOUR WARRANTY IS 100% GONE WHEN ROOTED . And so the wait carries on for this seemingly well documented warranty statement yet no links to any such claims as yet just word of mouth nothing solid. I await your evidential next post not just so and so says.

jeffkinn
The network has confirmed to me that they operate on the basis that rooting does void the warranty and they rely on this clause in their terms and conditions

9.6: Customer shall not, and shall ensure that End Users do not tamper with or attempt to repair or service the Equipment or allow any party other than Vodafone to do so. Any attempt to do this may invalidate the manufacturer’s warranty. 

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

:smileyvery-happy::smileylol:

The network has confirmed to me that they operate on the basis that rooting does void the warranty and they rely on this clause in their terms and conditions

9.6: Customer shall not, and shall ensure that End Users do not tamper with or attempt to repair or service the Equipment or allow any party other than Vodafone to do so. Any attempt to do this may invalidate the manufacturer’s warranty. 

So when was the meaning of MAY changed to 100% definately.

may1
meɪ/
verb
modal verb: may
  1. 1.
    expressing possibility.
    "that may be true"
    • used when admitting that something is so before making another, more important point.
      "they may have been old-fashioned but they were excellent teachers"
  2. 2.
    used to ask for or to give permission.
    "you may confirm my identity with your Case Officer, if you wish"

We accept they may void it if they can prove rooting to be the cause but it is only if they can prove . We discussed that and have done that. SO  PLEASE SHOW ME THE 100% DEFINATLEY ONE. OR ASK YOUR NETWORK PEOPLE TO POST

Again the wait begins we knew about the may BUT THEY HAVE TO PROVE THAT WAS THE CAUSE. I have looked and cant find anything. But i am open to you to prove me wrong.  :smileytongue:MAY

I think this hinges on the difference between a manufacturer's or supplier's warranty and your statutory rights as a consumer. The manufacturer or supplier can specify the terms of their own warranty and how it may be invalidated, but these are supplementary to, and don't affect, your statutory rights.

Hi everyone,

If you were to root a phone - the warranty would be void.

Thanks,

Matt B