You are here:
Ask a question:
Rank 5: Regular Poster
Nataliejane

Sensation non functional after ICS update!

Hi guys,

My handset is completely non functional after the update which I did yesterday.

It constantly reboots and restarts, I can't even get into it long enough to back up important data from some apps to do a factory reset, as soon as I go into Google Play or an app it reboots. It even reboots if you don't touch it.

The phone is red hot all the time and the battery lasts an hour or so before it has been drained.

Any ideas on anything I can try before doing a factory reset?

Ta

Nataliejane

Message 1 of 31 (15,432 Views)
Rank 21: Instructor V
EddyOS

Re: Sensation non functional after ICS update!

Factory reset is going to be the only suggestion I'd have. Pull the battery, reinsert it and boot the phone whilst holding the volume down button. Then select 'Factory Reset' from the menu and see how it goes
HTC One X (S720e)
ROM: 3.14.401.31 (JRO03C)
HBOOT: 1.39.0000 | Recovery: Stock
Radio: 5.1204.162.29 | Kernel: Stock
Message 2 of 31 (15,417 Views)
Rank 2: First Poster
dlanghor

Hi,,, Good luck with your phone, mine won't turn on at all. Tried everything, new battery etc etc... Not a great start.. Darren..
Message 3 of 31 (15,415 Views)
Nataliejane

Ok thanks,

I have done a factory reset but as soon as Google Play started to reinstall all of my apps it shut down and also if I try to reinstall my apps from sd using an app backup manager, the phone reboots.

Is my phone broken? I have also been having problems with the home button causing the phone to take screenshots, and also it constantly turning the screen back on when I turn it off but I was planning to do a factory reset to see if this helped with this problem and so I don't think it is connected.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Nataliejane

Message 4 of 31 (15,407 Views)
EddyOS

Sounds like an issue with the handset if a hard reset hasn't fixed it
HTC One X (S720e)
Message 5 of 31 (15,403 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
James

Hey Guys,

Thanks for your posts here.

If you are having problems with your phone rebooting the first thing to try is a factory reset as mentioned by EddyOS.

@ Nataliejane, Can I ask if you are trying to install all of the apps in one go or are you selecting individual apps to install?

If in one go I would recommend trying to install them one by one firstly to see if it a certain app that causes the reboot or to see if it is a power issue where the processor ###### down due to it not being able to do everything at once.

@ dlanghor, If your phone won’t switch on at all then you will need to send the phone away for a free of charge repair as it sounds like the update has removed the boot up sequence required to switch the device on.

@EddyOS, thank you for all of your help on the HTC Sensation and ICS threads so far. :smileywink:

James

If you have any comments regarding how I have handled your query today, please complete our short feedback survey.

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 6 of 31 (15,324 Views)
Nataliejane

Hiya,

When my phone initially loaded up after the factory reset, it started to download all the apps (I presume the ones which were on my sd card which was the majority of them) but then it crashed, restarted and then I had to literally go in and add a few at a time from an app backup app as I couldn't get them to install from the sd card and couldn't get them to install in bulk.

Also, even though I'm signed into Google, my bookmarks haven't loaded back onto the phone and I really need them as I had loads of important ones - where have they gone and why haven't they loaded up like they did when I had to do a factory reset before?

Thanks

Nataliejane

Message 7 of 31 (15,295 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
James

Hi Nataliejane,

To get your bookmarks from your Google account simply open up the web browser, press Menu – Bookmarks – Menu – Account List – select your Google account and press OK.

This will then set the Bookmarks to those in your Google account rather than the bookmarks set as default on the phone.

Give this a go and let me know how you get on.

James

If you have any comments regarding how I have handled your query today, please complete our short feedback survey.

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 8 of 31 (15,252 Views)
Nataliejane

[ Edited ]

Hi James,

Many thanks for that, saved me a lot of hassle (didn't know that menu was even there!!)

I will see how the handset goes now.

I have been searching to try to find out how to change the apps on the lock screen but the option under personalize isn't there like it used to be - any ideas?

Cheers

Nataliejane

Message 9 of 31 (15,223 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
James

Hi Nataliejane,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I have been having a look at this for you and at first it did have me a little annoyed however I have managed to work it out.

Basically the lock screen is limited to 4 icons and the icons on the lock screen are the same as those in the bottom bar when the screen is active.

So to swap these simply unlock the screen, press and hold on the shortcut you wish to remove until the remove icon bar appears at the top then simply drag it onto the main screen of the phone.

You can then open your menu to view your apps and repeat the process on the app that you want to have on the lock screen however rather than dropping this on the main screen you will need to drag it to the empty space on the main menu bar at the bottom.

James

Message 10 of 31 (15,214 Views)
EddyOS

[ Edited ]

Apps on the lockscreen are linked to the ones you have on your home screen - they are no longer separate

HTC One X (S720e)
Message 11 of 31 (15,213 Views)
Nataliejane

Thanks guys,

I have another question (sorry!)

I have got all my bookmarks (thanks James) but when I add a new bookmark, it saves to local bookmarks and not my google account bookmarks, I can't find a way to move the new ones across and to stop them saving to local bookmarks.

Basically I have lots of folders with bookmarks inside and what I used to do was to select tags which then allowed me to save the bookmark under one or more folders - I want to carry on being able to save them under folders.

I have created new folders under local bookmarks but still can't move them to my google bookmarks - any ideas please?

Thanks

Nataliejane
Message 12 of 31 (15,126 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
James

Nataliejane,

Unfortunately I don’t have access to the handset over the weekend to test this however, they should be saved to the Google account after you have selected the Google account bookmarks as detailed above.

I will get my hands on the handset on Monday for you to test this and respond to the thread again once I have an update.

James

Message 13 of 31 (15,091 Views)
Nataliejane

Hi James,

Thanks for updating me - no, I can't save the bookmarks to my google account bookmarks at all, they just save to local.

I look forward to hearing from you next week thanks,

Nat
Message 14 of 31 (15,089 Views)
Rank 1: Guest
Vivek08

Hi,

After updating my HTC sensation I can no longer view my messages. When I click on the message icon the screen darkens and says please wait. This goes on for a while and does not load my messages. Is there any way in which I can view them again?

Message 15 of 31 (15,061 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
James

Hi Nataliejane,

Many thanks for your patience with me here.

I have taken a look at this and there isn’t any way of adding bookmarks to your Google account through the phone as they automatically seem to default to the local bookmarks rather than the Googlemail bookmarks.

The only way to add them to the Googlemail bookmarks list would be to book mark the sites via a PM then sync the Gmail account with the phone to update the list on the phone.

@ Vivek08, unfortunately the only way to get this working is to perform a factory reset on the phone however this will also wipe any content including unread messages on the phone.

Once done you shouldn’t experience the issue again.

James

Message 16 of 31 (15,041 Views)
Nataliejane

[ Edited ]

Hi James,

Thanks for checking that for me - I'm not sure what a PM is though?

It seems odd that there is no way of having the bookmarks saved like before though as if you do a factory reset they won't be saved under gmail? Another useful feature that ICS has done away with (along with the separate notification and ringer volumes)

My phone started to constantly reboot again - no new apps that I installed were causing this as I managed to boot it into safe mode twice and it still restarted constantly.

I did another factory reset and have only installed vital apps to see what happens. The phone is slow though so I don't think it will last long again.

Also just this morning it has stopped receiving Gmail emails even though I have manually refreshed it. Yesterday I noticed that they were delayed as I was spotting them on my computer quite a while before they came through and they tended to come through in batches of 3 or 4 instead of as they arrived. I can't afford to miss important emails.

If I need to send this back to get reflashed, how long will I be without it approximately and what is the procedure?

Cheers

Nataliejane

Message 17 of 31 (14,965 Views)
Rank 13: Guide II
cjm1979

Nataliejane wrote:

Hi James,

Thanks for checking that for me - I'm not sure what a PM is though?

It seems odd that there is no way of having the bookmarks saved like before though as if you do a factory reset they won't be saved under gmail? Another useful feature that ICS has done away with (along with the separate notification and ringer volumes)

Cheers

Nataliejane

I know that you have other issues with the phone but for the browsing and bookmark sync with your Gmail account have you tried Google Chrome beta from the market?

Message 18 of 31 (14,958 Views)
Nataliejane

Thanks cjm1979,

I have installed that and it looks great! Just what I need as I use Chrome on my computers. Thanks for your help with that :smileyhappy:

Nat

Message 19 of 31 (14,955 Views)
Rank 13: Guide II
cjm1979

Nataliejane wrote:

Thanks cjm1979,

I have installed that and it looks great! Just what I need as I use Chrome on my computers. Thanks for your help with that :smileyhappy:

Nat

I use it quite a bit but now and again it might crash or I've had it where the open tabs disappear (hence beta). Also I don't know if you are aware but there is no flash support and that why I use Dolphin Hd as well for if I need it.

Message 20 of 31 (14,926 Views)