You are here:
Ask a question:
Rank 5: Regular Poster
Martincrosbie

Still waiting for HTC Titan

I'm still not seeing anything about the HTC titan, why aren't you offering this handset yet? or the Samsung Omnia W?.

Looking for the Titan your site does come up with some interesting quirks

Please see the attached screen grab. a search for HTC Titan brings up a single article about the iphone 4. is this a joke?

Your buyback site offered me a pitiful amount for my current handset, so I had a look what it would offer for the Titan... £93 trade in for a £500 device that cannot be more than a month old has to be a joke. strange that you'll 'buy back' a handset you don't sell.

The 'coming soon' page is a joke too - it doesn't show anything. how can you not know? There is no sense in not telling people what handsets you will be releasing over the next few months - people don't wait for what is around a blind corner, we will simply go elsewhere to buy it now from somewhere that sells new handsets at their launch date. These are not snap decisions - I'm presuming you make such decsions more than a few days in advance, so why not tell people?

I have been a vodafone customer (directly) since 2001. last year I paid vodafone over £1800, not including my wife's contract and handset. Seeing as the handset is my only link to the network, the only way I can interact with the service I pay you for, do you really think I'm not going to choose carefully? I'm not going to choose the only device you sell because thats my only choice - I'm going to buy the RIGHT device. I'd rather buy the handset  and service as a complete package but I can quite easily give someone else £500. How many times do I have to tell you to take my money?

Quick exercise, take a look through the forum and count up the number of people who have posted that they have bought a Titan from elsewhere, and how many intend to soon. Now multiply that by the average customers spend per year (or two if you still think 24 months is a normal contract) now explain to your shareholders that you have decided not to make that money this year, and gave it to your competitors instead.

We're not talking about vodafone offering every handset out there. but this probably counts as one of the key releases of this year, one of less than half a dozen current handsets on the platform. I count 18 android handsets on the website. if you can offer 18 handsets on one platform, why not 2 or 3 on another? Even the single device you are offering, you only offer with 2 of its 3 colour choices - choosing not to sell the 'red' one even!

Either sort out the range of handsets you offer, or get rid of the subsidy model altogether - this would not be the first time I have taken a 'bill credit' upgrade, and bought my handset elsewhere, I'm sure it's clear that this isn't the best solution for either of us.

Message 1 of 15 (8,811 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Martin

Re: Still waiting for HTC Titan

Hi Martincrosbie

As a network we will never stock every handset that is released on the market. With every handset we launch we would have to order a large quantity of stock, otherwise that could cause other dissatisfaction.

There are many reasons why we wouldn't stock all handsets and this is a decision that is never taken lightly. Unfortunately there will be cases like yours where you will go elsewhere for the handset.

With regards to the buy back scheme it isn't limited to phones that we supply, we will quote on any handset.

Martin

Message 2 of 15 (8,691 Views)
Martincrosbie

I was looking for a more detailed answer.

There is no obvious reason to not stock this handset. It is arguably the current flagship device for the entire platform, and one example from a very small range. We're not talking about not stocking one out of ten colour variants of a run of the mill dumbphone, which you seem to have no problem stocking endless variants of. Vodafone Italy stocks this handset, and the Samsung Omnia W, ansd the Optimus 7, so why not in the UK?

Can anybody explain why you can't supply these, or other Windows phone 7 handsets when you have no problem stocking a dozen different android devices? there are 7 different variants of the Samsung Galaxy series alone. Several different colours available of the HTC Wildfire S. I'm going to pre-empt the answer "because we sell more of these", and reject it, since it is impossible to compare sales of something you have not stocked in the first place. There is an answer in that android phones can be loaded with more carrier bloatware and branding, and hence generate a higher ARPU, and it is easier for less educated users to drive higher data bills, but I'm still hoping (perhaps foolishly) that you're not still trying to trick customers this way.

Even the release of the Nokia Lumia 800 shows the other glaring omission - you don't appear to offer the Lumia 710. while I'm pleased to see vodafone taking the higher end option for a change, there is still plenty of room for both, and more.

In the year since launch I cannot recall seeing any advertising for vodafone, with the windows platform, despite several other networks launching the platform quite intensively. In store WP7 is tucked away and hidden, while iphones have an entire wall. everybody else I have seen carrying a windows phone, uses another network (often with better handsets than vodafone have offered, eg the HTC HD7) It appears that Vodafone are not supporting the platform at all. You cannot sell something that you do not tell people about. The current advertising for the Nokia Lumia makes no mention of it's availability at vodafone. I'm sure many of your customers would enjoy, and purchase Windows Phone 7, if only you told them it existed, and offered them decent and competitive handsets.

Message 3 of 15 (8,658 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Lee

Hi Martincrosbie,

I'm sorry but I'm unable to elaborate on Martin's reply.

As has been stated, we are unable to stock every handset on the market and the business has decided that we will not be ranging this handset.

Cheers,

Lee

Message 4 of 15 (8,601 Views)
Rank 22: Tutor I
Jebelious

I think Vodafone have gone it heavily with the Lumia over any other device for WP7, you can get the titan from a CPW on Vodafone i believe just not direct
If i have helped please feel free to click on the Thumbs Up below
Message 5 of 15 (8,552 Views)
Rank 1: Guest
maphisto2000

Another user waiting for the HTC Titan to become available here.

My contract is up early next year and I'd like to upgrade my WP7, but I don't fancy the Nokia Lumia series. Please make some more WP7 phones available. I don't particularly want to go to another network or set up a new account through carphone warehouse or similar 3rd party supplier.

Message 6 of 15 (8,496 Views)
Lord_Midas

Sorry Vodafone tech dudes. but I'm with Martin on this one. As the largest (so Vodafone claim) mobile network provider, Vodafone should be up there with the best by providing the latest and greatest phone for consumers.

Not everyone wants an iphone or blackberry or some average spec HTC, etc. I for one will only upgrade to a screen at least 4.7" or bigger in size. The HTC Titan for example. What I really want is the Samsung Galaxy Note though. At 5.3" it's a sunning phone and the flagship of the Samsung range.

Vodafone do not stock either of these. It saddens me that no matter how many people on the forums say these are the phones they want, they are told no but how about a Samsung Galaxy W or something. We'd have chosen a W with it's 3.7" screen if that was what we wanted.

I'd have thought that Vodafone would have taken notice of their customers requests. Turns out that it appears that Vodafone are the ones telling us what we should have instead.

Thta's often a fasttrack to losing customers. And I've been with Vodafone for around 15 years or so. Loyalty counts for nothing it seems?

Thanks
Andy
Message 7 of 15 (8,258 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
electronicpunk

Perhaps they are just waiting for the Titan 2.
Message 8 of 15 (8,250 Views)
Rank 21: Instructor V
EddyOS

[ Edited ]

The Galaxy Nexus is the Samsung flagship :smileywink: - well, until the Galaxy S 3 comes out!

Why not go to a 3rd party/on-line retailer and get the Titan on Vodafone? Nothing to say you have to wait on Vodafone direct to get it...

EDIT: Does seem only CPW have the Titan on Vodafone, probably say you're better getting the Sensation XL if you want a phone that big

HTC One X (S720e)
ROM: 3.14.401.31 (JRO03C)
HBOOT: 1.39.0000 | Recovery: Stock
Radio: 5.1204.162.29 | Kernel: Stock
Message 9 of 15 (8,248 Views)
Lord_Midas

The Titan has Winpho7 whereas the XL does not. So, that be why I chose the Titan.
If I want Andorid then it has to be the Galaxy Note. I personally believe the Note is a better phone than the Galaxy Nexus (once it gets it's ICS upgrade).
Yes, CPW does have both the Nexus and Note, so why doesn't Vodafone (can't go with CPW coz I'm still in my extended upgrade zone and can't upgrade outside of Vodafone).
Message 10 of 15 (8,233 Views)
EddyOS

Doesn't appear that anyone outside CPW has the Titan on sale from what I've seen. Perhaps demand wasn't high enough to warranty Vodafone offering it outright?
HTC One X (S720e)
Message 11 of 15 (8,229 Views)
Martincrosbie

As stated above. It cannot be claimed that demand wasn't high enough - you can't judge the demand of something you haven't offered. many people have no idea what they are looking for and won't research their purchase beyond the shop they're in. the larger high end android devices are at first glance, and spec wise, a head and shoulders above vodafones current WinPho7 offerings (OS  not withstanding of course) and as a result draw more of such dumb shoppers. the more limited the range available in store is, the more people will buy the wrong handsets. the phrase ' we cannot offer every handset' is patently untrue. they can offer all of them, especially via the internet. perhaps stocking every handset in every store might be difficult, but I'd be more than happy to wait a week to have the handset shipped to my local store after ordering - do car dealerships hold every variant of every car in their showroom? no, but they do have access to every model and more besides. Most people buying good phones, will be using it for several hours a day, and choosing which one you use is not a decsion to be taken lightly, but it must be made right- especially when people are forced into having a contract that is twice the life expectancy of any mobile device (two years is too long). to be forced into choosing the device from a lacklustre selection is not the way to do this.

CPW is not an option. nor are any of the third party retailers. introducing a third party into anything is a step in the wrong direction, especially where companies are trying to make money, instead of happy customers. when something goes wrong, CPW will blame the network, and say it's out of thier hands, the network will say the same about the retailer, and the customer will be left in the cold. if the networks did not offer their own retail stores, this wouldn't be a problem, but since they do there is no reason not to go directly to the source - there is no benefit to paying one retailer to go and buy the same service from the same supplier - the only outcome of which being that you will pay more to the extra retailer - since both companies want to make a profit on your deal. there are also technical problems, where certain serivces may be supported by the network, but not by the billing company, again leaving the customer cold.

I did consider buying a Titan from CPW, but their website explained nothing to their business model, and network interaction methodology, and I could not make any sense of their pricing structure. (the Titan being free on almost all contracts, and no correlation between the handset price and monthly charges.

Message 12 of 15 (8,189 Views)
EddyOS

I've not had a single issue with CPW, Phones4U or any 3rd party company. If I have a hardware fault, I send it back to the manufacturer. I never engage the place I bought it as it's not up to them to fix it

If Vodafone don't think they'll make money on a phone they're not going to stock it - pretty simple business model if you ask me
HTC One X (S720e)
Message 13 of 15 (8,183 Views)
Martincrosbie

Going back to the OEM is always the best option, however under UK trading laws, the retailer is obliged to deal with warranty repairs etc. many stores across all industries are guilty of trying to fob people off by claiming its the manufacturer, instead of providing replacements or service.

I was reffering more to network issues than device issues - like Most ISP's blaming the BT line for their problems.

The business model is the problem. since when was making money the end goal? surely the target should be satisfied customers??

Message 14 of 15 (8,152 Views)
EddyOS

[ Edited ]

Of course it should be...but when has that ever been the case? :smileywink:

HTC One X (S720e)
Message 15 of 15 (8,147 Views)