You are here:
Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
martyboy

The HTC Legend's All-Round General Rubbishness

Hello everyone.  I used to be a member on the old forum before it got changed and this my first visit in about a year.  I have had a Legend for coming up to 2 years (in June) and it has never really worked properly.  The main issues are bad signal, dodgy wi-fi (which wont ever connect to a free/public wifi service) and general all-round slowness.  Despite many calls to VF and postings on the old forum the issue was never resolved.  The two main "solutions" offered by VF were to change the network setting from GSM/WCDMA to just GSM or send in the phone away for repair.  The first option is simply crap - GSM is slower and quite frankly if it has a WCDMA function it should work.  If it doesn't work I should be offered a new phone.  The second was not a great option either as no replacement, temporary or otherwise was offered, and having a crap phone was preferable to no phone at all.  In the end I decided to buy a SIM free Sony Xperia Mini and sit out the contract.  The Xperia was much better, although there were occasional signal issues, and was generally much better than the Legend in all departments.  However, my wife recently knackered her phone so I had to lend her the Xperia mini which means I have now had to go back to the Legend.  Only now it is worse.  Calls drop off mid conversation, and that's the calls that get through - if I am at work it goes straight to voicemail, internet reception is crap - took over 40 minutes to download one song yesterday, apps are painfully slow - playing Angry Birds is a waste of time and Facebook simply will not load 90% of the time.  In short, I am waiting for my contract to expire in August before I can leave Vodafone for good and move to a company that will give me a working phone, but in the meantime does anyone still have a Legend and do you have any tips on making it run faster, other than USB debugging and setting it to GSM only?  Thanks, and sorry for such a long and grumpy first post.  Oh and if any mods want to get involved I filled in an online form on Tuesday and then received an email saying I'd be contacted in 48 hours.  Suprise suprise no one has contacted me but that could of course be because the phone doesn't work...

Message 1 of 39 (13,725 Views)
Rank 2: First Poster
young007

Re: The HTC Legend's All-Round General Rubbishness

I have no tips on how to improve speed other that the two thing you have metioned. you are just lucky you have not had the battery issue yet 100% - 0% in 60 seconds. iam on my 5th legend in 14th months all had different faults and like you can't wait for my contact to run out. Its a shame as the legend was such a promising phone but ended up being a let down.. 

Message 2 of 39 (13,668 Views)
martyboy

Thanks mate.  I actually replaced the battery after about a year (because suprise, suprise it was rubbish) with one bought online from Mugen power batteries.  Not had any power related issues since.  No-one else going to help...?

Message 3 of 39 (13,662 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
James

Hi martyboy,

Many thanks for your post and welcome back to the Vodafone eForum from us all.

I’m sorry that you are still experiencing issues with your HTC Legend and I would like to assist you in finding a suitable resolution as I never like to see a customer leaving our network.

When it comes to any handset that has developed a fault then the first stage to getting a resolution would be to send this away for a free of charge warranty repair.

If this still doesn’t fix the issues that you are having then we would need to speak with you directly regarding an alternative resolution that is suitable for both yourself and Vodafone.

I would ask for you to send this away for repair and if this then doesn’t resolve the problems that you are facing pleas follow the instructions that I have sent you via PM and one of our team will be able to look at the account and see what alternative options are available to you.

You can find your PM inbox here.

James

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 4 of 39 (13,647 Views)
phil999

Hi Martyboy

I dont wish to be the purveyror of more bad news but..........I too have had all the same issues as you. In the first week of my contract VF replaced the phone. I have since had the "new" one sent away for repairs and was returned 2 weeks later with NO FAULT FOUND, but they had updated the software so it should work fine.  Sadly not the case.

As with yourself I decided to wait out the contract, but even this has not been easy given the constant missed calls and signal loss..

Still lucky old me my contract expires on 16 April....only 28 more miserable days to go.

Good luck with any solutions offered, but don't hold yur breath.

Message 5 of 39 (13,610 Views)
Tech Team
Amanda

Hi phil999

Thanks for your post, I’d love to get you a brilliant package with your upgrade! :smileyhappy:

I’ve sent you a Private Message with details on how to contact us, once we reach your email we’ll be in touch.

In the meantime take a look at our great range of handsets that are available.

You can find your PM inbox here

Thanks

Amanda

Message 6 of 39 (13,596 Views)
martyboy

James

Thanks very much for your reply.  I have always been reluctant to send my phone off for repair as it does of course mean being without a phone whilst it's away.  However, today I decided to follow your advice having not had any joy when phoning or emailing Vodafone.  My phone is still slow, the wifi and signal are temperamental to the point of infuriating (wont send text messages first time, calls dropping, music player skips whilst phone thinks about another app, no internet despite four bars showing in the signal area etc...)

I went into my local branch in Fleet Street, London.  The man in there was very pleasant BUT he told me the repair would NOT be free of charge.  I asked him what the charge would be but he couldn't tell me!  He said he wouldn't know until AFTER he had sent it off.  What use is that?  Suffice to say I didn't send it off as I don't see why I should pay to fix something I am already paying for.

So, I am eagerly anticipating the end of my contract so I can leave Vodafone once and for all.  Thanks anyway.

Message 7 of 39 (13,562 Views)
Rank 42: Oracle I
thesoupdragon

@martyboy

Why not Google HTC Repair Centre...?

There are a few in London, and many repairs can be done under Warranty!

Wink.gif

halloweenSig.png

Message 8 of 39 (13,554 Views)
martyboy

Thanks thesoupdragon but that kinda misses the point - namely that I don't feel I should pay to have something repaired when I am already paying well over £300 per year for it. 

Message 9 of 39 (13,537 Views)
Tech Team
DaveCD

Hi martyboy

Thank you for your post and I understand your frustration.

If the handset is the same as that which was taken with the agreement this would fall under warranty provided you are still in the original commitment.

If you would like we can arrange a postal repair

Many Thanks

DaveCD

eForum Team

Message 10 of 39 (13,531 Views)
martyboy

Dave - yes it's the same handset I've had from the start.  What do I need to do please and do you have an estimate of how long it might take?

Thanks

Martin

Message 11 of 39 (13,526 Views)
Rank 42: Oracle I
thesoupdragon

@martyboy

A Warranty repair with the original Manufacturer would be free and not something you would be expected to pay for, unless it fell outside the terms of the Warranty.

I see you have chosen to let Vodafones repair service deal with the repair, I am sure your problem will be resolved quickly.

Wink.gif

halloweenSig.png

Message 12 of 39 (13,522 Views)
Tech Team
DaveCD

Hi martyboy

Thank you for your post and for letting us know.

If you click on the link for the postal repair in my previous post this will help you arrange the postal repair.:smileywink:

Let me know how you get on.

Many Thanks

DaveCD

eForum Team

Message 13 of 39 (13,504 Views)
steviemj

Hi. I too have had many faults with signal and slow inernet connection.

I accepted this as just me being unlucky with where I go, until I read other peoples problems. Internet connection is damn near impossible, unless I use WiFi. I very rarely get a 3G signal at home. I struggle to get a signal at all, at all 3 of my sons address's (Liversedge, Otley and St Andrews),  I cannot get a signal at work in Dewsbury, the Scout Hut we use in Roberttown or my mates house in Llysfaen North Wales. VF say I should have a good signal at each of these address's and seem to think I am telling porkies, because their info says I will get a good signal. Rubbish. The fact is I don't. Their answer was to take the phone to a store, which I do not have time to do. If I send my phone in I will be without phone. VF offered me a signal booster with a 50% reduction, but why should I pay again for something I should already have. Reading other peoples posts in these forums, it seems to me that these phones are not fit for purpose. I have been a VF customer for a very long time, but I think I will be going elsewhere in future.

ps I tried the trick with the battery cover and yes it did work temporarily, but again, why should I have to do this everytime I need a signal.

Message 14 of 39 (13,498 Views)
Tech Team
Simon

Hi steviemj

Thanks for your post and welcome to the eForum :smileyhappy:

Firstly I'd recommend following the guidelines in our Network Troubleshooting, just to rule out whether it's a SIM card, handset or network issue.

If you're still in your contract period you can also have your handset repaired under warranty. This can be arranged either by postal repair or at your nearest Vodafone store. You can find more information on warranty and repairs here - Repair a faulty Vodafone handset.

Thanks

Simon 

Message 15 of 39 (13,470 Views)
steviemj

Hi. It's not the sim as that has been changed. Other vodafone users do Not have the same connection problems in the same locations as me. It's the phone.

So I need to take it in and be without a phone again for nearly a week, and then for it to come back the same?

Message 16 of 39 (13,450 Views)
Tech Team
DaveCD

Hi steviemj

Thank you for your post.

Unfortunately there is little further that we can offer that Simon hasn't already.

If you can follow the Network Issues thread and post your results here then this would assist us greatly, first of all so we can identify if it is a handset or network issue and it will also supply postcodes so we can take a look at the actual sites you connect with.

If you have the latest software installed on your device we will need to take a look at it and this is done by our repair centre.

Please take the device to your local store and one of our experts will be able to take a look and advise you of your best options or alternatively we can arrange a postal repair.

If you have insurance on your account we may even be able to offer you a loan device whilst yours is off for repair.

Many Thanks

DaveCD

eForum Team

Message 17 of 39 (13,439 Views)
steviemj

I've lived with these problems now since Aug 2010. As I mentioned before I thought it was me that was unlucky, so as my contract is almost up (and thats another issue, salesmen saying its 18mth then finding out later its 24mth) I will bide my time and switch to 3 or Tesco on both accounts. My wife has 3 and has no problems at all. It's a shame as I have been with VF for a very long time.

Message 18 of 39 (13,431 Views)
steviemj

Just took my wifes 3 sim from a Nokia with a 3g signal, and without moving places, put it into my Legend and only got a 1 bar signal.

Message 19 of 39 (13,423 Views)
Tech Team
Ben_H

Hi steviemj,

If you've tried the instructions given by my colleague above and need to chat to my team further, simply email us using the instructions I've sent via private message. You can find your PM inbox here.

I must stress, no matter which network you're on, the warranty will only ever cover you for the phone you take at the beginning of your contract. This isn't just practiced by Vodafone, but by all UK operators so migrating won't necessarily mean you can swap phones mid-contract without penalty. :smileywink:

Cheers, Ben 

Message 20 of 39 (13,414 Views)