Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Unable to connect to Vodafone network with HTC One - Bizarre behaviour

StoneFree
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

All of a sudden back in the last week of August my HTC One (non m8) stopped connecting to the Vodafone network.  Since that point the behaviour of the phone has been identical even though a few different incidents have happened.

So I phone up Vodafone and go through the automated phone line choosing the option that says you are having trouble connecting to the network.

The first time they guided me to the "Mobile Data" item under settings which then reveals a whole load more options.  Their solution was to search for networks, choose a network other than vodafone, and then choose select network automatically.

At both of those steps you eventually get a message saying "Your SIM card does not allow connection to this network".

When this step didn't work he said to remove and re-insert the SIM card whilst the phone was on, I was a bit wary of doing this as it seems a bad idea to take out an electrical component whilst the phone is running.

However I didn't have the SIM eject tool with me at work whilst I was on with the support guy, so had to wait until I got home.  I tried just the secret keys reset procedure (again which was performed whilst with the support guy at work), which didn't work.  I took out the SIM whilst it was off, and put it back.  Still identical behavour, so I tried doing it whilst it was on, again the exact same behaviour.

Then I phoned up the next day, and this time they said that there was trouble in my area, but it would be fixed by the 2nd at 6pm.  This came around but still the same behaviour.

I phoned up again and again they said that there was network trouble in my area, but this time they didn't know when it would be fixed. I signed up to get a text when the problems where resolved, but never received a reply so I phoned up again.  This time they said the network problem had been solved and so they sent me a new SIM

I then tried my SIM in someone eleses phone and it didn't work, I then tried the new SIM that vodafone sent me in their phone and that did work (although I didn't go as far as making any calls).

Then I was adviced to speak to HTC about the reset procedure which basically is going into backup and restore and choosing to erase all data. At this point it seemed is if that had fixed it because I got a whole load of texts, was able to receive a new one when logging into two factor authentication for the google account, and it telling me I had a phone message.  As soon as I tried to go to voice mail the network access stopped.

So I spoke to HTC again, and this time we went through a special reset procedure, which I was only able to complete whilst speaking to them.  However I couldn't get his last step to work.  Basically you go into a special android boot menu, choose a special menu option - probably reset.  Then when the red icon appears you have to do another secret handshake, but he wasn't clear about whether it was a brief press of vol+ and power, or a hold and press like an earlier part of the special reset procedure.

So yesterday I went to Shepherds Bush Vodafone inside Westfield, and they performed a SIM swap (incidently Vodafone sent me a Pay as you go, despite the fact I am on Contract)  This time when I turned it back on after 5 minutes, it again recieved a whole load of text messages, including telling me that they see that a SIM swap has been done and apparently a text message should arrive later to update the phone settings (I have seen this message before, but never get these follow up texts).  However again as soon as a phone call is made (even one made to the phone from a landline) then it stops working again.

Yesterday when I spoke to Vodafone they said that my phone was locked to another network and that they would unlock that for me for free, which is strange as I left Virgin Mobile 15 months ago when I got my number transfered to Vodafone.  One of the text messages that I received even mentioned the unlocking.

What I find bizarre is the Your SIM card does not allow connection to this network" message has always been the present since the phone stopped working, even before taking out the SIM of the phone that was currently on.

Is there any way that my specific phone is locked from Vodafone's network?  At the store when we put my newly activated SIM in this phone, I was able to phone my home phone successfully using the employees phone with my inserted SIM card?

Any suggestions?

10 REPLIES 10

Retired-Matt_B
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi StoneFree,

So that we can look into this further, take a look here for how to get in touch.

We aim to reply to emails within 48 hours. If you need a quicker response, please visit our Contact us page.

Thanks,

Matt B

Done, message sent!

I am still in exactly the same situation as last time.  After getting in contact here I received a reply saying that my IMEI number is blacklisted, but not by Vodafone.  When I received this reply had just handed off my phone to UPS to send to HTC for repair, which is terrible timing.  I phoned up HTC support and they said that they could not see any blacklisting of my IMEI number with their systems.

I just received my phone back from HTC via UPS yesterday, and when I put my SIM card back in, it again received all the old text messages, but the moment a phone call was attempted it stopped working again.

I phoned up MobilePhonesDirect and they tell me that they don't have the ability to blacklist IMEI numbers.

I have just phoned the phone support of Vodafone and they tell me that my IMEI number is not blacklisted.  So I am at a real loss as to what is going on.  The syptoms still seem like some sort of network block because it always gives the same message something like "Your SIM card does not allow connection to this network".

Eventually the person on the phone said that I should send my phone to Vodafone either by their service or by taking it to a Vodafone shop.

I am going to Westfield tommorow anyway, so maybe I should hand it over then.  I have replied to my earlier reply from the online support telling them all this.

I am now livid because it has been 2 Months and 20 days since I was able to receive calls.  So that is almost £87 quid I have lost due to no service being possible.

Peter

The Vodafone representative said they would only send back a working phone, I hope that does not mean a used handset, rather than my own back or a replacement.

hrym
17: Community Champion

The first thing to try, I think, would be a new SIM as it could be that that's the issue.  You can get one from a Vodafone shop, or 191 or Live Chat should be able to get one sent to you.  It'll need to be activated, of course.

I've already done that 2 times already - first with one sent from Vodafone phone support, and a second from the Westfield Vodafone store.  Still the exact same symptoms, it receives all the outstanding text messages including the one saying that the SIM appears to have been swapped, but the moment that either you phone the mobile from a landline, or you try and phone out on the HTC even just to voice mail then from that moment it stops receiving any texts, and you can't make any phonecalls either.

I spoke to Phone support on Friday and they denied that the IMEI was blacklisted, but I have twice contacted via the web and both times they have said it is blacklisted.  I have contacted them once again and noted that the subject line lists the IMEI number but misses the last digit, so could they try again.

But to be honest blacklisting explains the symptoms better - it has already been sent to HTC, and they changed the antenna, and some ofther coded HTC fix, but it is exactly in the same state as before.

Its coming up for 3 months with no phone ability and almost £90 in bills for a non-existant service!

hrym

That does seem a logical conclusion.  It's a bit odd that some people seem to be able to see the blacklisting and others don't, but it doesn't mean it's not in place.   Numbers do get blacklisted in error sometimes, either due to finger trouble or (rarely) duplication.   I suspect the Tech Team here are the only people who can help.   I'm not sure what the process is for un-blacklisting but, if there is one, they should know what it is.

Retired-Matt_B
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @StoneFree,

So that we can look into this further, see here for how to get in touch.

We aim to reply to emails within 48 hours. If you need a quicker response, please visit our Contact Us page.

Thanks,

Matt B

I am still waiting to hear a reply on this.  I have chased up by email multiple times most recently on the 5th, after receiving a reply on the 3rd saying that another UK network has blacklisted my IMEI.

I don't understand how this other network hasn't yet unblocked my IMEI as the invoice for the phone from MobilePhonesDirect which lists the IMEI number has been sent to the dedicated Vodafone team relating to blacklisting.

It has now been over 100 days that I have been unable to use my phone, and that I have been paying for a service I am not receiving.

I don't understand why this has been allowed to drag on so long, the replies I get are hardly ever within 48 hours, more like 5 days.

How this other network (whoever they may be) can be allowed to blacklist an IMEI number that has been validly used on another network for over a year without any notification to me is outrageous.

I have had to waste my time sending off the phone to HTC when it was working properly, the bizarre behaviour was suspicious from the start, and I suspected some kind of blacklist after the Vodafone shop guy at Westfield was unable to use his Vodafone SIM successfully in my phone, despite my SIM working fine in his.