Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Urgent Number Block

matthtc
2: Seeker

I have an HTC 8S. I urgently need to block a number from contacting me. I spoke to a Vodafone Customer Service agent who told me to get a crime reference number. I have spoken to the Police and they have given me a crime number.

I was told to email Nuisance Caller Bureau at vodafone dotcom but they are not responding to my issue. So I went back to Vodafone Customer Services and now they tell me I should be able to block this number from my phone. 

I can assure you that there is no option to block a number from the HTC 8S and HTC have confirmed that it is not possible. 

This does appear to be a Vodafone issue now and not an HTC issue. I have been diagnosed with depression and I desperately need to block a certain number as soon as possible.

12 REPLIES 12

hrym
17: Community Champion

Sorry to hear of your situation.  As a temporary measure while this is being sorted out, you could create a contact entry for this number and assign it a silent ringtone.   It's not perfect, but it would be better than nothing, perhaps.

Edited to add: when you've done that, try a long press on the contact in the list and see if there's a blocking option there.  Some devices have it and some don't, but it's worth a look.

TimGriff6
13: Advanced Member

I have an HTC M7.  On that, to block a number, I have to creae a phone contact first.  Make sure that it is a phone contact and not a Google one.  Contacts can be edited and one of the options is 'Block contact' ON/OFF.  Change to ON and the phone doesn't ring when they call.  There is no record of the call on the phone call history but they can leave voice mail messages and you get informed that a message has been left.

I am fairly sure that this is an Android characteristic so should work on Android phones.  It may not work on Windows phones.

Amanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @matthtc 

Thanks for your post, though I'm sorry to see the issues that you're having. 

Speak to our Live help team and we'll be able to take the crime reference number from you, and get this sorted. 

Thanks, 

Amanda 

Amanda,

Thanks for your message.

I have spoken with the live help team on more than one occasion and received conflicting advice. I have also spoken to NuisanceCallerBureau@help.vodafone.co.uk who told me that Vodafone do not block numbers. So, my phone doesn't have the necessary function and the only option Vodafone could help me with was to change my number.

I have changed my number, but what happens when the nuisance caller gets hold of my new number? It is very likely that he will. I cannot continue to change my number every time he catches up with me.

This is very unsatisfactory from Vodafone. I am very disappointed.

I have just spent the last two days updating my new number on my cv, on websites like google and hotmail, it is not a quick procedure. 

I know that Vodafone are perfectly capable of blocking a number. Even though it is now a criminal matter and is damaging my health Vodafone still refuse to do the simple thing and block it.

Hi @matthtc,

We cannot block any numbers from calling. If we could, we would have offered this as an option.

Thanks,

Matt

We do feel for you and are trying to help.  Changing numbers to get away from someone is too much trouble and is probably only a short term fix anyway until they track you down again. 

The suggestion I made is only a short term one and has the disadvantage that anonymous calls will get through.

You can get a number of apps - search 'Call Blocker' for a list - which will block anonymous calls and which give you the choice of how blocked calls are dealt with.  I haven't got one but I would guess that you can get someone to record an official sounding message along the lines of 'this is ACME Private Investigators - your call has been rejected and your number has now been traced with a view to taking further action' and play that as a reject message.

Have a look at those.

matthtc
Have you actually seen the apps available for the htc 8s?
They are a joke. Much like Vodafone.

TimGriff6
13: Advanced Member

I'm sorry that I haven't been able to help you but thank you for pointing out that the call blocking apps are not effective.

Personally, I would not criticise Vodafone in this instance because they are unable to block calls for you.  They have changed your number.  I suspect that most networks are only able to do exactly what Vodafone have done.  The real culprit here is your phone pest.

hrym

@matthtc wrote:
Have you actually seen the apps available for the htc 8s?
They are a joke. Much like Vodafone.

You should have access to the Google Play store, which is well-stocked.  Was there something specific you were looking for?