Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Using the HTC One M8 with hearing aids

veggieman
4: Newbie

I have been wearing Phonak hearing aids for many years and, even with them, I have always struggled to hear the phone properly.

I have an HTC One M8 phone and read that there was a Bluetooth facility that would enable me to hear my mobile phone calls easier.

This is a link to the instructions:

http://eguides.sprint.com/support/eguides/htconem8/index.html#htc_one_m8_ug/hearing_aids.html

However, when I go into my phone, there is no "hearing aids" option once I have pressed "call" as described within the link.

Can someone please advise me about this as I don't know why I cannot access this? Was it introduced, perhaps, in an update that I don't haven on the phone ?

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi

Any available update should be showing in your phones software update section. 

I wouldnt think Vodafone would remove such a useful feature when vetting software updates. 

I would suggest speaking to HTC Uk Support via their site for help too. 

Edit : This link is the Uk help site for HTC on that phone and offers support too. 

http://www.htc.com/uk/support/htc-one-m8/howto/627622.html

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thank you for that.

Judging by the following "live chat" with HTC, I am missing out because I got my phone directly from vodafone...

Please wait while we find an agent to assist you...

You have been connected to Zan.
Zan:  Hi David, thank you for contacting HTC Support, I am looking in to your query now.
David :  I was in a chat with Angie J and just got "timed out"...
Zan:  What kind of app are you using?
David :  It is not an app. I am trying to do what is in this link: http://eguides.sprint.com/support/eguides/htconem8/index.html#htc_one_m8_ug/hearing_aids.html
David :  I cannot accss a "hearing aids" option when I press "call"
Zan:  Are you in the US and have a phone made for USA. Because UK phones do not have these compatibility.
Zan:  That guide is for SPrint branded devices.
David :  I am in the Uk. Why is this not available here ?
Zan:  I don't know it's how it is.
David :  I have a HTC One M8 phone which is, I thought, fairly modern.
Zan:  Sprint brands their phones and puts modified software on.
Zan:  Have you bought your M8 from Sprint?
David :  Do HTC not recognise that folks may wear hearing aids in the UK as well ?
Zan:  It is a modern phone it just comes in different versions.
David :  I bought my phone directly from Vodafone in the UK
Zan:  So it's branded by Vodafone.
Zan:  It has software from Vodafone installed.
Zan:  I really am sorry but these features are only for american phones.
David :  Yes - so what ? I am an elderly person and I struggle to hear the phone calls. This would be a brilliant facility for me to have so why cannot I have it ?
Zan:  Because the phone does not have it I am sorry it's how it's made.
David :  This is ridiculous that I am being denied this facility.
Zan:  I agree that it would be great if it would have it.
David :  Sorry - you are patronising me. I have an up-to-date HTC phone yet am being denied a straightforward facility that would improve my life.
David :  I want this on my phone and I am sking you how I can get it
David :  *asking...

BandOfBrothers

Hi

Im sorry you've been advised this. 

Vodafone do vet the firmware before it's released to its branded handsets. I think this maybe a country issue and not Vodafone removing this as I do not really see this as clashing with its handsets or Network. However I'm a customer like you and have no inside knowledge on what they leave and remove from the firmware. 

You could also look for a HTC dedicated forum and ask if there is anything else that can be done. Minor aware of any apps myself that would allow something similar. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

hrym

I've got a couple of unbranded HTC devices and I can't remember seeing a hearing aids option on either of them.  If there was a Bluetooth facility, wouldn't the hearing aids also have to have BT?   Do they?   I thought ha's worked through an induction loop, which afaik is a different thing altogether.

veggieman
4: Newbie
I know of someone that has a different phone with this facility. I have Bluetooth on my phone but my beef is that if the hearing aid option is readily available in the US then there is no reason why it shouldn't be avaiable hear.
Other hearing aid users would clearly recognise what a boost this would be in the usage of our expensive smartphones so it is ridicule that we are being denied this simply because we are in the UK rather than in the US.

hrym

@veggieman wrote:
I have Bluetooth on my phone

But do you have it on your hearing aids?   It sounds as though US spec ones may work differently, which may be why the facility is available there and not here.   Only HTC would know this, I suspect.

Edited to add: having looked at this again, I see it's just a call volume amplifier, nothing to do with Bluetooth.  That makes a bit more sense. It may even be added by Sprint in their customisation, which would be why it doesn;t appear on Vodafone or unbranded versions.  Have a look on Google Play - there are various apps that appear to do much the same thing.

Thank you for your reply.

The facility I am after, which is apparently available, is for the incoming call to be directed to my hearing aids via Bluetooth. I can manually adjust the volume on the side of the phone if that was all I wanted.

63johnw

Hi, I am a little confused, does your hearing aid have bluetooth connectivity?

Yes, they do have Bluetooth connectivity.