http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=9264284&posted=1#post9264284
Message 1 of 65 (11,344 Views)
Rank 44: Oracle III
Nabs

Vodafone UK HTC MAGIC Android 2.2.1 UPDATED

Vodafone UK HTC MAGIC Android 2.2.1 UPDATED using official update
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=9264284&posted=1#post9264284

Vodafone... any response on this?

Find this post useful? Give it the thumbs up below!

Message 2 of 65 (11,344 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
zzubnik

I would love to hear both Neoblade and Vodafone's comments on this.
Message 3 of 65 (11,344 Views)
Rank 2: First Poster
Paragon

I'd also be interested in hearing both Neoblades and Vodafones responses.

Though I can guess the official response will be 'We cannot endorse this, and users will invalidate their warranties by performing this upgrade. A future update is forthcoming, and we advise users to refer to the 2.2 thread for further information'.

As that wouldn't tell us much :lol:, I'd be more interested in hearing Neoblades views, or someones actual experience in using this update.

Does the update adversely affect the phone in any way, or does everything work as it should.

And if everything does work perfectly, then why haven't we yet got an official update from Vodafone themselves ?
Message 4 of 65 (11,344 Views)
Rank 1: Guest
hagisbasheruk

Okay , i thought this was so important i gave it a thread of it's own on
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=9269721#post9269721
Anyone not sure on any part email me @msn.com and i will arrange to chat via messenger but i am not free for another 2 weeks as i have some Exams for Medical Terminology/Administration and won't be free untill then.
Message 5 of 65 (11,344 Views)
hagisbasheruk

Does the update adversely affect the phone in any way, or does everything work as it should.

And if everything does work perfectly, then why haven't we yet got an official update from Vodafone themselves ?

Everything is working as should be and gui speed is awsome.bootup time is much faster,touchscreen more responsive,gui animations seem 2x as fast,audio search rocks,this is ust like a new phone again:smileyhappy:
3G signals seem stronger as does 2G,market place much speedier.
Quadrant score of 350 , looks same as moto Droid :) and just below SE X10 AWESOME

Ill post a pic an 2 mins
Message 6 of 65 (11,344 Views)
hagisbasheruk

Everything is working as should be and gui speed is awsome.bootup time is much faster,touchscreen more responsive,gui animations seem 2x as fast,audio search rocks,this is ust like a new phone again:smileyhappy:
3G signals seem stronger as does 2G,market place much speedier.
Quadrant score of 350 , looks same as moto Droid :) and just below SE X10 AWESOME

Ill post a pic an 2 mins

Message 7 of 65 (11,344 Views)
zzubnik

So, can we go ahead and do this, Vodafone? Some official comment would be good.

In the past we have been told that upgrading our self MIGHT invalidate the warranty. It would be good to get some official word on this.
Message 8 of 65 (11,344 Views)
hagisbasheruk

So, can we go ahead and do this, Vodafone? Some official comment would be good.

In the past we have been told that upgrading our self MIGHT invalidate the warranty. It would be good to get some official word on this.

I don't see why they just don't modify these files to add vadafone stuff and release via OTA
Message 9 of 65 (11,344 Views)
zzubnik

I don't see why they just don't modify these files to add vadafone stuff and release via OTA

I think that is more realistic than any other option. Vodafone has culled a lot of jobs this year, which is evident in the lack of support on this forum. I don't think there's anybody left in the technical department who even understands the problem.

However, according to the BBC, the salaries of the executives of Vodafone (million plus salaries) haven't been affected by the tax bill they are being forced to pay, as they have simply culled staff to make up the difference.

So that's ok.
Message 10 of 65 (11,344 Views)
Rank 12: Guide I
NeoBlade

Well well... This is interesting. I've not tried this btw but it does look like it could do with more investigating. It is however prompted via OTA so looks like its the real deal and is a massive bonus for those who have remained on Stock.

I'd still go with the CM6.1 Nightly build myself due to the extras however this will do more than nicely for those still on stock. Anyone here given it a go?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy S3

If I have helped you in any way then please click on the star on the left ^_^ Thank you!
Message 11 of 65 (11,344 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Lee

Hey folks,

I'm afraid I'm going to tow the party line here.

Updating to a none approved firmware may invalidate your warranty, and we can't offer any support if anything goes wrong.

Thanks,

LeeH
eForum Team
Message 12 of 65 (11,344 Views)
zzubnik

LeeH, it's great you could stop by the forum for a minute.

However it's a shame you couldn't answer some of the other questions that remain unanswered on the front page.

Is it just you and DaveN left manning the support now?
Message 13 of 65 (11,344 Views)
Rank 2: First Poster
Tomapi

But clearly Google and HTC approve this so what is non approved? No bloatware?

Seriously, as Android early adoptors you'd expect Vodafone to recognise the influence we have. I recommend Android phones to everyone, just not on Vodafone. Why would anyone buy an Android device on Vodafone after this farce?
Message 14 of 65 (11,344 Views)
zzubnik

Tomapi, the only limiting factor is Vodafone, who have no commitment to the customer at all. It's all advertising and sales with Vodafone, and nothing more.

I'm surprised they could even manage to brand the phone.

Vodafone = fail.
Message 15 of 65 (11,344 Views)
Rank 44: Oracle III
Nabs

But clearly Google and HTC approve this so what is non approved? No bloatware?

Seriously, as Android early adoptors you'd expect Vodafone to recognise the influence we have. I recommend Android phones to everyone, just not on Vodafone. Why would anyone buy an Android device on Vodafone after this farce?

In future i for one will definatly not be b uying mine through Vodafone, will be buying it outright, even if it costs a little more, the rate android is progressing it's not nice being left behind!

Find this post useful? Give it the thumbs up below!

Message 16 of 65 (11,344 Views)
Rank 3: Occasional Poster
darrenrmiller

Hey folks,

Updating to a none approved firmware may invalidate your warranty, and we can't offer any support if anything goes wrong.

Thanks,

LeeH
eForum Team

But is my warranty still valid if I'm running a known unsecure and out of date OS i.e. Android 1.6? Also...

All mobile phones that we sell are covered by the manufacturer’s warranty. Provided users are downloading official software, whether operating system updates or applications, via the manufacturer’s website, PC software or Over The Air there should be no impact on its validity.

Any update that users are prompted to download to their device through an official channel (either by the manufacturer or Vodafone directly) is classed as an official update. For example, if you are told an update is available for your Samsung Galaxy S through Samsung’s Kies PC Sync software, your warranty won’t be impacted if you choose to install it.

...if this firmware update has been provided by both HTC and Google then it still complies to your warranty rules. Running an out of date unsecure OS must surely put our warranties at risk.
Message 17 of 65 (11,344 Views)
iwinter

Hey folks,

Thanks,

LeeH
eForum Team

Hi Lee, thanks for this response, as it rules out one of Vodafone's options in this thread here:

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/topic/79281-htc-magic-vulnerability-liability/

As such this must mean Vodafone is following the path of one of the other options- either issuing an update imminently, or accepting liability for costs incurred by a vulnerability. As you've now confirmed they wont be extending warranties and support for unofficial updates which would solve the issue in the above thread, can you now please confirm which of the remaining options it is as in the meantime it is not safe to use our handsets and so we likely have legitimate cause to claim back contract costs for the period our handsets are not safe to use due to the inherent security issues that exist in them which Vodafone has so far avoided issuing the fixes for. You have been aware of the issue for nearly two weeks, so the clock is ticking on the amount of money we will almost certainly be able to reclaim via the small claims court.

I'm sure Vodafone would like the problem to go away but it wont, Vodafone is clearly going to have to spend money some way and the most obvious solution in terms of customer satisfaction would be simply issuing the update. The more Vodafone stalls on this, the more it is costing them both in terms of lost user satisfaction, and in terms of potential penalty costs for not allowing our handsets to be safe to use.
Message 18 of 65 (11,344 Views)
hagisbasheruk

I just phoned Ofcom to ask "If a known security risk on a mobile phone has been highlighted and the manufacturer of the phone and the Operating system provider has patched these vulnerabilities but the Handset Operator is not issuing these updates what are the consumers options"

Unfortunatly they are having staff training and there is nobody that can comment on this until Monday morning

OFCOM 0300 123 3333 or 020 7981 3040 Monday-Friday 9-5 if anyone else wants to complain
Message 19 of 65 (11,344 Views)
Rank 12: Guide I
NeoBlade

No-ones mentioned if they've tried out this ROM yet as well... If I have time I'll give it a go in the afternoon and let you guys know how it went. Might as well give the Magic a final hurrah before it leaves me :P
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy S3

If I have helped you in any way then please click on the star on the left ^_^ Thank you!
Message 20 of 65 (11,344 Views)