Support:

HTC

Ask a question:
Rank 21: Instructor V
EddyOS

Re: Vodafone - mis-sold me HTC Wildfire S and your staff are useless - Low internal memory

[ Edited ]

@TSD

You're explanation of the SD card is wrong...

/sd-ext - this is used if you've rooted the phone and want to install all apps to the EXT3/4 partition on your SD card when using a custom ROM

/sdcard - this is the removeable SD card which is what ever size you have in the phone (e.g. 8GB)

/system - this is the main ROM partition, with uninstallable system apps

/data - this is where ALL user data is stored, including apps from the Market and updates to /system apps. Music/photos are not on this but app data relating to the user and the individual apps are

When using A2SD in a non-rooted/custom ROM sense the app itself is moved to .android_secure on the SD card but the app data is still stored on the phone. Here's an explanation from another page online...

"In Froyo (Android 2.2) Google came up with a way to install apps to the SD card.
A folder named .android_secure is created on the SD Card and this stores versions of applications.

But there’s a few catches:

Apps aren’t automatically stored here, you have to manually “move” them
Not all apps are capable of being moved, in fact at this stage most apps aren’t, the developer needs to update their app and allow it.
Some apps aren’t and won’t be updated and some developers may not want to allow it for whatever reason.
Not all app data is moved, most of it is but some data is left on your phone so many people still run out of internal storage quickly.
You can force ALL apps to be moved to this area by default, but it breaks incompatible ones.
The SD Card Fat32 partition is not “mounted” (more about mounting later) until after the phone boots up.  Widgets load during boot, so if the app behind the Widget is on the SD Card the Widget won’t work.
When the SD Card in your phone is accessed as a disk drive (using the USB cable) it must be “unmounted”.  When it is unmounted, the phone cannot see it or any apps on it."

http://www.landofdroid.com/2011/a2sd-a2sd-froyo-a2sd-explained-differences-and-how-to-partition-your...

HTC One X (S720e)
ROM: 3.14.401.31 (JRO03C)
HBOOT: 1.39.0000 | Recovery: Stock
Radio: 5.1204.162.29 | Kernel: Stock
Message 21 of 56 (7,168 Views)
Rank 40: Professor IV
thesoupdragon

Re: Vodafone - mis-sold me HTC Wildfire S and your staff are useless - Low internal memory

@EddyOS

Screencaps from my phone...

/system/app contains files that cannot be removed

20120310_175233.jpg

/data/app contains Apps I have installed

20120310_175115.jpg

/sdcard is the onboard Storage!

20120310_175301.jpg

Autism_sig.png

Message 22 of 56 (7,159 Views)
Rank 21: Instructor V
EddyOS

Yeah, that's right.../sd-ext was wrong, hence me correcting you :smileywink:
HTC One X (S720e)
ROM: 3.14.401.31 (JRO03C)
HBOOT: 1.39.0000 | Recovery: Stock
Radio: 5.1204.162.29 | Kernel: Stock
Message 23 of 56 (7,156 Views)
Rank 40: Professor IV
thesoupdragon

Ahhh got you, typo on my part... Crazy.gifsorry mate!

My Micro SDcard is located at /mnt/sdcard/external_sd

Autism_sig.png

Message 24 of 56 (7,150 Views)
Rank 4: Established Poster
dowsinho

hi ladlee
i have had the same problems as you with my htc desire i too was told i had 512mb of internal memory whilst i was clearly looking at 150mb niether vodafone or htc will admit that the phones can't live up to their potential and offer 'solutions' that may be far too complicated for the average person to follow and as for moving apps to sd card that is also a joke as most can't be moved and i once installed a 24mb app to my phone and lost all remaining memory but when i 'moved it to sd card i didn't get the memory back what's that all about ????
i have been given and had already doneall the usuall advice i had been given ie empty cache ,delete emails move to sd etc etc but one thing none of the 'experts' told me to do which i found out for myself is that if you uninstall all the updates you have installed for the preloaded apps ,faebook ,youtube, maps etc and then update to the latest update and do this every time there is an update you will regain some of that meagre memory as it seems that all the updates accumulate so to speak for example after 4 updates my facebook took up 30mb when i uninstalled updates back to the basic and then updated to the latest version it is now 7.5 mb ,why none of the so called 'experts ever told me that i don't know perhaps they didn't know :-)
still at the end of the day 150 mb is nowhere near enough and everybody now knows that !!!!
Message 25 of 56 (7,095 Views)
Rank 1: Guest
lulabelle

From the posts on here it looks like I am far from the only one unhappy with the dreadful standard of service provided by Vodafone. I have a HTC Wildfire S on contract which has not worked properly since I got it. I have contacted yourselves by 'phone initially and was basically fobbed off. I went into my local store, where I explained that the 'phone was unable to store anything to memory and that it would not connect to my PC to Sync, I was fobbed off there and told to return to the store with my computer!. Last week I called yourselves again and was told that there is a known generic fault with this model and that I should take my phone into my local store. I did this and the staff instore to say they were rude was an understatement. The first person I spoke to, said that he couldn't help and told me to wait for someone else, he then came over to discuss the problem, became aggressive and accused my husband and I of being aggressive with him, he had told us that the phone would need to be sent away but that as I didn't have Vodafone insurance I would not get a loan phone. I then spoke to someone else who said that the phone would need to be sent away and that they would, as a goodwill gesture lend me a phone although they did not need to as I didn't have insurance (I do have insurance but not with Vodafone, as the fault is generic, the insurance doesn't cover me as the phone is not actually broken). All of the staff then disappeared into the back of the shop for some time and returned with the oldest, most basic phone I have ever seen, I am sure they had all searched for the worst one they could find. On Thursday, I got a text to say my phone was back in store. The memory is working now but it will still not connect to my PC to sync, I am so unhappy with the phone, service and Vodafone in general.

Message 26 of 56 (7,072 Views)
Tech Team
DaveCD

Hi lulabelle

Thank you for your post and I am sorry to learn of the poor experience you have had, I can assure you that this is not how Vodafone would want any customer to feel.

Please can you follow the guides on our Help Centre and advise at which point it fails and if you receive any error messages.

Please ensure that your contacts are backed up and that you are using the latest software for your device.

There has been some fantastic support on this thread and shows why we have the best community and we will do everything we can to assist you with your query.

Many Thanks

DaveCD

eForum Team

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 27 of 56 (7,049 Views)
lulabelle

Hi, I have experienced these issues and was told by Vodafone that there was a generic fault with the phone that they are aware of and mine was sent away for repair.  The memory issue is now resolved but I also had an issue in that when I try to connect to my PC to sync, the phone is not being recognised and this has not been fixed.  Trying to get a resolution to this with vodafone is like tryning to knit smoke.

Message 28 of 56 (7,027 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
AndyD

Hi lulabelle,

I've noticed you've also posted your query here, with slightly more detail. So that we don't duplicate information, we'll only respond on the linked thread.

Thanks

Andy

Message 29 of 56 (7,023 Views)
nathaniel18

hi i have an htc wildfire s to the space is a big thing there isent enough i have had this phone for half a year now so i know it in side out i found app to sd ( free) to be a gr8 app because you can wipe cachi and cachi is nothing soits good to wipe it so check that every 3 hours. also the 2.3,5 update gives you an extra 20mb. what i also do is i wipe internet browser clear data you only lose all pass words on internet browser and fav pages so try wiping things u dont need i have 37 downloaded apps and 45mb left and im ok with that im not happy but ok with that hope this helps

nathaniel :smileyhappy: 

Message 30 of 56 (6,860 Views)
drivertuition

HI, i totally agree with your thoughts on the wildfire and vodafone,they are both useless, I got this phone which was my first so called smart phone, and was really unhappy with it i emailed vodafone explaining that i knew i had a 7 day get out claus and that i was over that time but it had taken time to get used to it, and now that i now that i have i realised that it was not as advertised and certainly not the phone for me, i have complained loads of times and i have even said that i would pay extra money to have a different phone.i have had the phone now for 16 mths and have hated every minute of owing it does vodafone care , no it doesnt

I have been with vodafone for over 15yrs and what do i get for my loyalty, I get to see formula 1 race or go to a festival, or see a fashion preview...... No all i want is a phone that is fit for my purposes

Message 31 of 56 (6,841 Views)
Wonky

[ Edited ]

What a relief to see that Me and my daughter are not alone in this!

I have had almost identical treatment from Vodafone regarding the useless phone. My wife has a sensation and that does not suffer with anything like the problems.

I am tied in with my contract until September 2013 but, quite franky, I will be taking Vodafone to court for breach of contract before then if something is not done. VODAFONE, if you read this and have any decency in you, please use some of your VAST profits on keeping previously loyal customers (about 20 years in my case - first network and stayed with it!) happy.

Put quite simply, this phone is NOT fit for purpose and that only becomes apparent after a period of time using it so the "you're out of time" excuse is not plausible.

I have had to reset my phoine three times so far in 7 months - not good, not good at all.

Thank you all for the great advice, this may help with trying to live in a bad 'marriage' with the Wildfire!!!!!:smileyfrustrated:

Message 32 of 56 (6,661 Views)
Tech Team
James

Hi Guys,

There should now be a new software update available to you 2.26.161.1 which incorporates a memory storage wizard to allow you to manage the available memory on your device.

If you are having difficulty doing the update due to lack of memory then you can free up to 10 MB by uninstall the Gmail and Google Maps application updates in Settings-Applications-Downloaded-(Application as above)-uninstall updates

James

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 33 of 56 (6,641 Views)
bertie10

acording to statistics for the wildfire s you can have an ex sd card up to 32gb, is this correct and if so is that not plenty off space for its use? 

Message 34 of 56 (6,630 Views)
dowsinho

ha ha here we go again there is a new software update available but what do i get 'your phone is up to date' ..no one will admit that the widfire and desire whilst being good handsets in themselves are totally ruined by the memory issues i have tried absolutely everything but it still remains fact the memory is insufficient why won't you admit it

Message 35 of 56 (6,611 Views)
Tech Team
Wayne

Hi dowsinho

Thanks for your post here. If you’re having trouble getting the update (I’d probably give it a couple of days to filter through) then you can send the phone away for repair and our repair centre will re-flash the handset with the latest version of the firmware. This will enable you to better manage the storage space on your handset.

To find out what you need to do in order to get this sorted take a look at our Vodafone Repairs Thread. This can be found here.

Thanks

Wayne

eForum Team

Message 36 of 56 (6,593 Views)
Barony78

My Phone notified me of an update last week, But I didn't have enough internal memory to do the install (i'm not going to go over old ground, everyone knows the phone is usless). I deleted enough apps to gain the 25mb needed to install the update (as other Wildfire S owners will tell you, thats a hell of alot when using this phone). It installed and I got 'pull the ring to unlock' type upgrade (a change is as good as a rest), so when I saw your post about the update on 01.05.12 I thought it must be 'The Ring' one, but I've just checked in 'About Phone' and it says the version is 2.14.161.1 . I'm Confused on this issue, but want to know if all the unhappy customers on here will be offered a new contract and phone? That's what it needs. I've had this phone for 9 months after being offered an early upgrade and when I was asked what phone I would like I instantly said an iPhone 3G (on free upgrade) but the opperative told me the Wildfire S was a BETTER alternative, he was so enthuiastic that I agreed (the phone calls are recorded for training & security purposes, so i'm sure you can confirm that I was hood-winked). It takes a while for a normal person to find their way round a new phone and it wasn't untill you get a couple of apps on there that you realise there's an internal memory problem.

The phone isn't broke, the phone isn't ugly or hard to use so all the normal reasons for sending your phone back in the 7 days, aren't valid, BUT the phone, by design, doesn't function properly. For this reason I believe that agrieved owners should be offered a solution by Vodafone (who sold it us). I would be happy to start a fresh with a new 24 month contract and a different smart phone that works.

Sort it out, It's not worth the ill feeling.

Message 37 of 56 (6,476 Views)
Tech Team
Ian_C

Hi Barony78,

Thanks for posting and welcome.

It’s disappointing to read about your experiences. Maybe we could arrange an upgrade for you to one of out fab new phones.

I’ve sent you a private message with details of how to contact us if you do need any help with this.

You can find your PM Inbox here.

Cheers

Ian

Message 38 of 56 (6,459 Views)
Wonky

Hi Techteam, it's no good offering one person the 'get out' that we all need, please offer all of us the same option - surely Vodafone HAVE to take some responsibility here?
Message 39 of 56 (6,428 Views)
Wonky

Interesting that there is no reply to my last comment - nothing to say techteam?????  Guilty? Maybe you have realised the depth of feeling here?

Message 40 of 56 (6,392 Views)