08-12-2010 04:53 PM
After lengthy discussions with various members of Vodafone's support staff I have finally got the news you've all been waiting for. Android 2.2.1 will be available via download from Vodafone's site before the end of the year. There will be different downloads for different devices but It's Android 2.2.1 for alot of phones (Including the HTC Magic). He also said there would be an OTA update but Vodafone wanted to give users the option of updating their devices themselves If they wished. Finding this information out was not easy, I had spoken to a couple of support staff members who either didn't know what they were talking about or confused the HTC Magic from Vodafone with the unbranded HTC Magic with the different 32A board. I finally got to speak to someone who knew all about the HTC Magic and the ever elusive Android 2.2.1 update. Not wanting to miss out on this opportunity of finally speaking to a knowledgeable person, I asked what the delay had been. This Is what he said verbatim, "There have been delays with this update due to a disagreement that Vodafone, HTC and Google had regarding updating this device." I tried to probe further about exactly what the disagreement had been but I got the impression he was not allowed to say. So there you have It folks, official confirmation that this update will be coming to your device before the end of this year. Merry Christmas everyone, I hope this will finally put an end to this whole debate.
09-12-2010 08:30 AM
Thanks for this information but my faith in Vodafone as a competent company has long been destroyed, Even just looking down the first page of this forum I see even less evidence that this is going to change anytime soon.
I'm impatiently waiting for my contract to end so i can leave if this is true It will be nice but realisticly I'll belive it when my phone is updated and not before.
09-12-2010 08:43 AM
It would be great if one of the mods could conform and not with the standard line.
09-12-2010 09:32 AM
Hopefully VF will not stuff it full of bloatware and leave it clean like T-Mobile did.
I'll watch with interest - not long to go now until the end of the year!!
09-12-2010 11:46 AM
My girlfriend got a 2.2 update OTA for her HTC Desire from Vodafone just a couple of days ago, so perhaps there is some truth in this and they are rolling updates out...
On the flip side, I notice the difficult question I posed of vulnerability liability has mysteriously vanished into the depths despite being posted more recently than the posts in recent posting order on the forums.
Convenient that, but well, if there's nothing by January 1st then I'll take court action to recoup contract costs for the last 6months for being unable to safely use my phone.due to it being an insecure platform with no option to update it since exploits were released in that period as the device was not fit for purpose.
09-12-2010 01:16 PM
09-12-2010 04:14 PM
Yes, I wondered where some of the more recent Magic posts have disappeared to. Possible the forum's still being reorganised into its new structure, so I guess they'll eventually show up.
Anyway, as regards the 2.2.1 update - I replied in a similar fashion to another thread that seems to have momentarily vanished.
But the basic gist was, the tech team have told a customer they were fine to upgrade - whereas the official line on the forum is it will void your warranty.
That's the real problem with VF, that there's conflicting information coming from various sources.
The 2.2.1 upgrade won't affect me anyway, as I gave up and rooted.
But people may want to look at this thread: http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Magic/HTC-Magic-Has
And in particular, the last reply where VF can still give no date for an update release:
Thanks for you posts, I can see that a few of you are not happy with the way the new eForum is run. We are collecting feedback and passing this on to the relevant people, there is a topic running here, please leave your comments there.
In regards to the HTC Magic we do not have any news regarding a Firmware update as of yet, please keep and eye on our Software Upgrades for more info.
13-12-2010 09:40 AM
13-12-2010 10:30 AM
It looks like that post was marked as a solution by mistake, but don't worry, we can always uncheck them, as can the original poster.
As for the firmware, you'll always get the official Vodafone answer on the forum, so the official position is that we have no information. As soon as we do, we'll let you know.
Feel free to continue to discuss, but we've nothing more to add for now.
13-12-2010 12:41 PM
I certainly will continue to discuss.
Your official position (no information) completely contradicts your other official position the Magic will be updated before the end of the year (14 working days remaining). I would be grateful if you could provide a proper update - even clarifying there will be no update would be better than this pointless exchange of non-information. As "Community Manager" you should be aware this is completely unacceptable - who is indeed managing your own performance? From this evidence it leaves a lot to be desired.
13-12-2010 01:12 PM
I was passed from person to person. Some English, some French, and some who sounded of Indian origin.
Here are some of the things I was told.
1) There are no plans for any update to your device.
2) There will definitely be an update before the end of the year
3) There is an update, but you have to send the phone to us to do it.
4) Updating your phone manually will not affect your warranty
5) Updating the phone manually will terminate your warranty
6) There is an update coming, the web support team are not the right people to ask, as they don't know about things like this.
7) The only people who can answer this are the web support team
So, I take from all this that nobody at Vodafone has a clue what's really happening.
HTC have told me that they can not provide any information about if or when there will be an update
Google have told me absolutely nothing, as they do not have any form of customer support that works.
Vodafone have told me a bunch of conflicting information.
So, I really have no idea.
I am pinning my hopes on the sticky on the forum which still says there will be an update this year.
If there is no update, goodbye Vodafone and Android, hello Tesco and Apple iPhone.
13-12-2010 02:04 PM
13-12-2010 09:00 PM
Well, as I'm on Froyo now (and loving the performance and battery life), the VF update won't affect me. (Yes, I ignored the warranty warnings and rooted).
But for VF customers still waiting for an official update, can VF confirm the following:
1) the current status (if any) of the long promised update to 1.6 handsets.
- In particular, is it in a Beta stage - or has development actually started ?
2) Whether an official update will actually be provided before the end of 2010.
- This is the deadline that most customers are working to, given previous messages.
- While it's appreciated that the Admin. won't necessarily have this answer, surely it can be escalated to someone at VF - after all, it's a simple enough question...................is an update going to be released in 2010 ? Yes or No.
I think both those questions are relatively simple to answer, albeit needing possible escalation for an answer.
But someone at VF should be able to categorically say whether an official update is due this year - and at what stage (if any) the official update is at.
It's the lack of proper communication that's most frustrating I'd imagine.
If people know there won't be an update, they then have the choice to either stick with a possibly insecure 1.6 - or 'possibly' invalidate their warranty and root and flash an update themselves.
After all - people come to this forum for 'support' - not to just be told there isn't an answer. Issues like this need to be escalated and flagged up with a definite response time - that's simple customer service at its most basic.
It isn't good enough that customers are ringing tech. support, asking in VF shops, and getting different answers from whoever they speak to.
So no more 'We have no further information' please.
This is badged as a 'support' forum, and it isn't a difficult question for someone at VF to categorically answer. Either an official update is being tested and has a definite release date - or no update is likely.
14-12-2010 09:23 AM
As far as I know, there's no manual download option, as all of the releases are being done over the air. If I hear anything else I'll let you know.
14-12-2010 09:40 AM
Important news about this matter can be found here.
This is great news!
I can finally dust off the old Magic!