Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Wi-Fi access with BT Openzone

Blinkie
4: Newbie

So I have 2gb with BT openzone, I have registered with VF for this service. I could not log into the bt site.

Followed the instructions below...

Now you’ve registered for My account, you can use BT Openzone Wi-Fi without any extra charges if the service is included in your price plan. Here’s how :

• Open your phone’s browser when you’re in a place with Wi-Fi access. YES

• Select BT Openzone if you see it in the list of hotspots. YES

• Choose the Vodafone logo. NOWHERE TO BE SEEN!

• Login using your My account username and password.

Anyone help me with it?

18 REPLIES 18

I logged into Openzone at Fleet services with no issues, was pleasantly suprised :Laughing_Face:

nickirundle - our neighbours have BT Internet (so do we, but we don't have a BT router) and we have BOTH a BTFon and a BT Openzone hotspot as a result.

However, when I tried logging on to a BT Openzone hotspot in central London, there was no BTFon one nearby, just the BT Openzone one.

Ok, you need to register with BT Openzone website. I think one of the issues here is the incorrect password info given by BT. Passwords that you get are case sensitive. Download the Openzone/Fon app from Marketplace and let that manage your connection although it also soesn't seem to be that good. Alternatly, let your wifi scan for a hotspot and connect to one (they are everywhere, especailly if you are a fon member too which BT do indeed make you by default now), open your browser and you will be met with a login page. Again, password is case sensitive. If you do download the BT Openzone/fon app then be aware that it tells you to enter your password all in lower case (as do BT's online sites!!) and this is incorrect and will stop you from connecting. A nice thin about the app is it shows you where all the hotspots are, how strong they are and whether they are fon or BT. I'd steer well clear of the

Vodafone method... Hope that is of help

EDIT Thinking back,. when I registered with the Openzone / fon website I'm sure it was all one site now. I will go and check later. I think Bt have maybe aquired the UK registrations for fon as they make you a member by default now if you are on the Option  or 3 broadband package. As an aside, although the fon uses your router, it is on a completley seperate loop to your wifi network and you always get priority over anypne using your routers connection. It is well worth being a member I think seeing as you get access to 2.8 milion hotspots worldwide. So when you find yourselves on the Oenzone login page on your routers, don't even bother looking for Vodafone symbols. Just login and away :Smiling:

sibear - the only way to register on their site is by buying access from them. I may well do that once I have used my free 2 Gb up, but I refuse to pay for something that is supposed to be included in my plan!

Is the bt openzone supposed to be as standard or is it just specific contracts. Wanting to see if I'm entitled to it as well.

I've finally managed to use this, it looks like even if the hotspot is called Openzone, it is more often than not just a BTFon one.

Hi Agentm

The BT Openzone is for specific price plans. It is available on iPhone packages and since we released our new prices plan around 4 weeks ago they are available on them. Any other price plans prior to taht do not have it included.

Martin

eForum Team

I had this problem at Bluewater when I stood outside the O2 shop and tried to get onto BT openzone and got a message saying I wasn't subscribed to it.

I have the 2gig allowance on my new Voda tariff.

I rang cust service as the message instructed and was told there are different openzone levels of access.

The one I don't have access to is the premium which happened to be the one at the O2 shop I was trying to access.

I walked round to outside of the Vodafone outlet and had no problems getting online.

This was definitely not a case of a FON outlet...

There are several points of confusion in this thread so I'd like to address those and then complain that BT OpenZone still doesn't work for me...

• BT OpenZone and BT Fon are two different things...
  • With BT Fon, people who have BT Broadband and are willing to let other BT Fon customers use some of their bandwidth then become part of the BT Fon community and they can use any BT Fon hotspot for free. Vodafone does not offer this and should not be expected to.
  • The BT OpenZone connection offered by Vodafone is for public BT OpenZone hotspots and, if your plan includes this, for not all do, then you can use 2Gb per month. Vodafone offer this by partnering with BT on this.
  • To connect, on the logon panel you will notice that there is a drop down for partners. Use that drop down and select Vodafone UK and you will then be asked for your Vodafone userid and password details.
  • Here's the issue: sometimes this works for me but mostly it does not. Vodafone have confirmed that it is part of my plan and that it should work, but it does not. I can log into MyVodafone with the same credentials so I know they are correct.
  • Finally Vodafone said that if I download the Vodafone App then it will handle the connection and authentication for me - well I've done that and I see no entries in that App to do with hotspots - it's all about MyVodafone+, Sport+, News&Weather+ etc and none of those options appear to lead to establishing a connection with BT OpenZone.

I'd like to see Vodafone either resolve this or reduce the monthly charge since we're unable to get all that we're paying for.

Kind Regards
Steve