Support:

HTC

Ask a question:
Moderator (Retired)
Trev

Re: signal Strength changes

Hi all

As yet we don’t have enough examples of this issue to raise a fault to our device team.

We do need a minimum of ten Vodafone customers and also full details of their firmware versions before we can do this. I also have a Vodafone branded Sensation and haven’t encountered any issues with loss or drop in signal, and it’s not a widespread issue that’s been discussed throughout this eForum as yet.

So if anyone is suffering this issue on their Sensation, please add your firmware details to this thread, and we can raise this for further investigation once we have the required number. To get your firmware version:

Select Settings > About Phone > Software Information – then make a note of the number under Software number in my case 1.27.161.1

Let me know if you’ve any further questions.

Regards

Trev

eForum Team

Message 21 of 189 (6,799 Views)
Rank 1: Guest
Ridecraft

Hi:

I too have the Sensation - only just got it and I'm very pleased with it. Have to say though - the signal strength is up and down like the proverbial 'Bride's Nightie'!! It can have up to 3 bars lit. Pick the phone up - stay in the same position - no signal! Put the phone down - leave it - watch it - signal strength bars wandering from no signal to 2, then perhaps 3 and then it changes again. Pick the phone up - gone!

Software number 1.27.161.1

Android is 2.3.3 and

HTC sense is 3.0

HELP!!:smileysad:

Message 22 of 189 (6,784 Views)
steve4031

Hi I am having the same signal problems and are quite disappointed with an otherwise good phone

android 2.3.3

htc sense 3.0

software 1.27.161.1

Ridecraft wrote:

Hi:

I too have the Sensation - only just got it and I'm very pleased with it. Have to say though - the signal strength is up and down like the proverbial 'Bride's Nightie'!! It can have up to 3 bars lit. Pick the phone up - stay in the same position - no signal! Put the phone down - leave it - watch it - signal strength bars wandering from no signal to 2, then perhaps 3 and then it changes again. Pick the phone up - gone!

Android is 2.3.3 and

HTC sense is 3.0

Ridecraft wrote:

Hi:

Android is 2.3.3 and

HTC sense is 3.0

Message 23 of 189 (6,778 Views)
pwinter

I am also having signal issues, it varies wildly when sat on my desk at work untouched.

HTC Sensation

Android 2.3.3

Software 1.127.161.1

Am hoping for an official update to Android 2.3.4 with an updated radio version.

Although once the bootloader is unlocked I'll be flashing a custom rom. 

Message 24 of 189 (6,766 Views)
Agentm

I too have poor and wild signal changes with the vodafone sim

HTC sense is 3.0

Android is 2.3.3 and

Message 25 of 189 (6,755 Views)
boothyuk

Yep, same as the others  1.27.161.1

Message 26 of 189 (6,737 Views)
Rank 4: Established Poster
alexp999

[ Edited ]

My phone will randomly drop its signal for a few seconds then spring back with full signal.

Even if its not moved or picked up.

HTC sense 3.0

Software version 1.27.161.1

Android  2.3.3

Message 27 of 189 (6,731 Views)
Tech Team
James

[ Edited ]

Hey Guys,

Many thanks for everyone who has confirmed their Firmware/Software versions

I have raised this with our devices team for you all and I will update the thread when I get any more information from them.

In the meantime can you also confirm if this happens on 2G or 3G or both?

James

eForum Team

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 28 of 189 (6,709 Views)
Barneyneal

Hey yer its both 2g and 3g. Thanks hope there is a solution Barney
Message 29 of 189 (6,703 Views)
jozza65

Hi James, thanks for following this up. I have noticed it on both 2&3G, I did try forcing the phone to one or the other in settings, which made a slight improvement. I haven't tried changing my SIM yet as others have advised, will prob do this next time I am near a VF Store. I now have installed a Suresignal, and the phone gets a solid and strong signal from that, but I am still seeing a lot weaker signals when out and about than I used to get on my old phone. I haven't experienced total loss though, phone seems to be okay on calls even when the signal shows only 1 bar.
Message 30 of 189 (6,702 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
chrisdibben

My firmware is the same as the details already posted by other users (there haven't been any updates yet, and as the bootloader is still locked you can be sure nobody with a Sensation is running a custom ROM).
I've not noticed drop off on 2G, but then I don't actively restrict my handset to 2G. I have spotted the occasional no signal, which interupts data traffic, it doesn't last long enough for me to try phoning from my landline to see if I actually have a signal.
Message 31 of 189 (6,686 Views)
Tech Team
James

Hey Guys,

I have had an email from our devices team requested a few details from you.

I have managed to get these for some of you however; I have sent an email out to those who I was unable to get the details for, requesting this information.

Once I have your replies to my email i will then be able to compile the information and pass it onto our device's team.

James

eForum Team

If you have any comments regarding how I have handled your query today, please complete our short feedback survey.

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 32 of 189 (6,649 Views)
GarionV

Also having this problem, happy to provide any information that helps get it fixed!

I've watched my phone go from HSDPA, to 3G, to EDGE to GPRS and then the signal drop out entirely. I replaced the SIM card and it has reduced the frequency which this occured, but I'm still noticing it happening. 

Android 2.3.3

Software Number: 1.27.161.1

Message 33 of 189 (6,638 Views)
Ridecraft

[ Edited ]

Hi James.

Thanks for the email.

My name is : #####

Forum Name : Ridecraft

Mobile is : ###########

I hope it gets sorted soon. The 2g / 3g request - I appear to be on 3g. If that's not a good enough answer - hit me with an email with what you need?

Thanks James - Appreciated :smileyhappy:

Message 34 of 189 (6,632 Views)
Tech Team
James

Hi All,

Many thanks to everyone who has sent me their details; I have now passed these onto our devices team who will be completing the investigations for us.

Once I here back from them I will let you all know.

In the meantime, please keep an eye on things and let me know if you notice any changes.

James

eForum Team

If you have any comments about how I have handled your query today, please complete our short feedback survey.

Message 35 of 189 (6,610 Views)
Ridecraft

Hi to you all:

Have recently go the 'vodafone suresignal' installed (obviously) - at home!! :smileywink:

The signal strength 'dance' we've all reported has disappeared. THIS ONLY HAPPENS WHILST I'M AT HOME!!. I also get an amazing Internet speed (at HSDPA level [better than 3G]) - it's actually better than my computer's speed.

That said - the first 'Suresignal' unit I bought from my local vodafone shop (Southport) was faulty when I got it. I took it back - it was replaced - that one connected and worked.

The signal 'dance' is still there though, once I leave my home address - bearing in mind my Sensation is a 'MOBILE phone'!!

Mike

Message 36 of 189 (6,550 Views)
libboid

I have also noticed this. Very frustrating since I have just moved from an iPhone4 on another network (Apple + 'another fruit' = Lemon) because of the issue! I tried a Vodafone SIM in the iPhone and it looked OK so I switched to Vodafone and decided to go Android with the Sensation and noticed similar issues. I have two Vodafone sims on contract and tried them both (although one is an mirocSIM which took a few goes to position right to make it work! and yes I know you can get adaptors!) Same issue. Completely random. I have noticed while driving that when switching cells it gets a 'No Signal' message for around 25-30 seconds before coming online again. I have also tried switching to just 2G to see if it helps as this seemed to work with the iPhone4 but it still looses signal. Its seems fine in the office though (BB4)

Firmware etc same as others.

Message 37 of 189 (6,542 Views)
Miss_Julia

Im unsure if i am too late, but i have just recently got the HTC Sensation and i am too suffering with signal problems. My old phone - Tocco Ultra was fine (although not a smart phone) but even my mums galaxy s2 has better signal strength give or take than me.

Software number - 1.27.161.1

Julia

Message 38 of 189 (6,537 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
Noetic

I too am having the same issue, software number 1.27.161.1 - even when stationary the signal strength frequently drops from full bars to no signal. (New SIM)
Message 39 of 189 (6,496 Views)
Rank 2: First Poster
countryboy2005

I had the same problem both with the Sensation and hw Wildfire I had beforehand, i'd get different signal levels all over the house, while my mum with her old Samsung D900 worked fine everywhere, so I got a Sure Signal and only paid £20 from my local Vodafone shop on the High Street, and now all problems have gone :smileyvery-happy:

Message 40 of 189 (6,482 Views)