Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Ascend G510-0100 UK Vodafone - OTA update error

jonmac73
2: Seeker

Hi, have recently bought a UK G510 - prompted me for online software update but fails each time.

Download and click install - reboots to Recovery & says "OTA update", then "Installation aborted" retruns to recovery menu and have to reboot. Has to re-donwload the 142Mb update each time I try.......

How do I download the update and "update via SD card" as prompted by the system update tool ?

Current version = G510-0100V100R001C02B171

New version = G510-0100V100R001C02B195 (G510-0100_Vodafone_B195)

It's Vodafone branded bought from Asda.

Am running with OVIVO SIM (which uses Vodafone network) - is this the problem ?

Is it worth going into a VF store ?

Thanks in advance

Jon

17 REPLIES 17

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi jonmac73,

Huawei have confirmed to me that the update is still available.

If you're still struggling to do this OTA, then we can put it on the device for you via a warranty repair. You can find out how to arrange one here. :Smiling:

Many thanks, Ben

Hi, sry for delay.

Not sure why I should need to send phone off for an OTA update that should work !

Have used Huawei PC software, click on update and says no update available.

Still getting Vodafone SOftware Update prompt & still failing.

Can you not provide me with a download file to copy to SD card & install from there via Recovery ????

really want this as seen reports from others it improves call answering - it's a great phone for me.

Thanks in advance - Jon

Hi jonmac73,

We're not able to send this as a downloadable file.

If you send the phone in as suggested, we won't just update it. We'll look into why this is happening as well.

Dave

chloefoulkes

I am also experiencing the same problem! Kept getting daily pop up to update but Software Update kept crashing.  Reset app data and it let me download update, but 'installation aborted'

Hi chloefoulkes,

If the update isn’t working for you, the only option we have is to send it in for a warranty repair where it can be manually updated by an engineer.

James

Hi, phone has also developed loose battery connection & turns off when on flat surface.

Have gone into local store to book for warranty repair to be told can't do it as not bought from Vodafone direct, & software update won't be from them - showed them the VF branded update & they went oh not seen that before......

Will try for replacement on hardware grounds now from Asda.

If not can you please provide contact details for the store to check with when I go back in for warranty repair. I can email you direct if prefer not on forums - please provide email.

Does it have to be a particular type of store ? Local store is Bromley, Kent.

Thanks in advance

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi jonmac73,

With you having the phone from Asda, you’d need to check their repair policy or contact the manufacturer directly to arrange this.

Thanks,

Gemma

Thanks a bundle.

Fortunately I found another model in stock - exchanged & tried system update as soon as back home and this one worked fine - I must have had a dodgy handset.