Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Ascend G510-0100 UK Vodafone - OTA update error

jonmac73
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi, have recently bought a UK G510 - prompted me for online software update but fails each time.

Download and click install - reboots to Recovery & says "OTA update", then "Installation aborted" retruns to recovery menu and have to reboot. Has to re-donwload the 142Mb update each time I try.......

How do I download the update and "update via SD card" as prompted by the system update tool ?

Current version = G510-0100V100R001C02B171

New version = G510-0100V100R001C02B195 (G510-0100_Vodafone_B195)

It's Vodafone branded bought from Asda.

Am running with OVIVO SIM (which uses Vodafone network) - is this the problem ?

Is it worth going into a VF store ?

Thanks in advance

Jon

17 REPLIES 17

Retired-Ian_
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi jonmac73,

Thanks for posting. 

It's not a phone we support so we're not able to advise on this.

Is there any information in the box about updates? It might be worth also checking Huawei's website for information about this.

Thanks

Ian

Thanks for reply.

Cannot find anything on the Huawei website for the G510-0100 model.

If the update is not supported from VF, why does the update process label it as such ?

(G510-0100_Vodafone_B195)

I thought all phone updates were dependant on the carrier, not the manufacturer, hence posting here.

Please advise. Thanks in advance

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Jon,

Apologies for the mix up. We do indeed range the Ascend G510, as seen here. I've given Ian a heads up too.

How much free memory have you got on the phone now you have the update? Although the file is 142Mb, you'll need more for the OTA to run.

Have you also had a chance to try the update via the desktop software, using the USB with a laptop or computer? This can help if your phone's bootloader is locked from OTA updates.

Cheers, Ben 

Hi Ben, thanks for reply.

Currently have 400Mb free on internal storage.

Have not tried update via desktop software - is there a link for latest version ?

How do I know/find out if my bootloader is locked for OTA update ?

Hi jonmac73,

The PC Suite software usually comes on a CD with the phone. If you don't have this, I'd check with Huawei directly.

They'd also be able to advise if the bootloader is locked. We don't support or recommend using non-Vodafone updates, so we don't have any information on this.

Dave

update:

have installed Huawei HiSuite - the update bit there says it's alrwady up-to-date at version B171.

still getting notifications daily for B195 Vodafone update but it fails OTA.

Can you please advise alternate way of getting this update ? via SD card . Thanks

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi jonmac73,

If Huawei HiSuite isn't showing the update as available, then it may not be ready for your device. Huawei may have also have suspended the update while they iron out any wrinkles. 

I'd recommend ignoring the automated message about B195 for the next few days. I've emailed Huawei too and will post back their response for you. :Smiling:

Cheers, Ben

Thanks for that.

I'm still confused though ......... if the B195 update is available from Vodafone, why is it not installing OTA ?  and if OTA is problematic why can I not download it as installable files from SD / flash from Recovery mode ?

Have seen another web forum where a G510 has received B195 update and it resolved some dropping calls issues.

Only Huawei firmware I can find to download is later than current B173, and mainly based on the 0200 model which I understand is different from a firmware point of view.

Thanks in advance

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi jonmac73,

We don’t have any further information regarding this yet.

Take a look here for our firmware statement.

As soon as Ben has any news, he’ll post back here. :Smiling:

Thanks,

Jenny